Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US to help Turkey to hit PKK

Options
  • 02-10-2003 10:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭

Just read this from BBC

here

Looks like the americans are now getting desperate for international troops in Iraq in that they are doing Turkey a favour in fighting PKK and Turkey will do its part in providing the troops!

US to potential applicant countries to send troops:
    - We'll provide you x number of troops to fight rebels in your country and you provide us with troops to fight the rebels in Iraq ! :)

ie..a bribe of sorts :)

Is US foreign policy gone beyond extremely mad at this point ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Imagine that...we get several Cold War relics in the Bush regime and BANG! POOF! instant cold war *cough* *cough* sorry "war on terror".

So much for "our allies" in the north of Iraq. I'm not that clued up on Kurdish politics but I can't see Kurds in northern Iraq taking kindly to American troops killing their brothers in Turkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I would imagine those Kurds will not be happy at all. But maybe that’s the US's goal. If the Kurds in Iraq start fighting the US they can justify sending in even more troops and spending even more money on weapons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

A separate Kurdistan within Iraq is strongly opposed by Turkey, who actually sent in troops during the war. It is possible that they threatened to do the same again this time and the US made its promise to appease them.

The worst thing for the Kurds in Iraq would be to have Turkey involved.

The worst thing for everyone involved is to have turkey coming into the eqauation. No offence to that bandit country, but having these nut jobs entering a country on the brink of a serious change is as good an idea as electing saddam hussein for taoiseach!

What happened to the scares at the start of desert storm two of Turkey storming the north of iraq and claiming all of the kurdish territory??

Fúck George Bush...fúck his administration right in the ass........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Vader

It is also a sign of improving relations with the US.
    Turkey is the 2nd biggest recipient of US military aid, I dont yhink it needs to repair relations with it!
    Turkey and the PKK fought a bitter war for more than a decade.
    Yea those evil violent PKK terrorists aked would it be alright for them to
    be treated as human beings:Turkey got mad
    vote:Turkey got really mad
    have some level of autonomity:Turkey comited genocide!

The Turkish treatment of the Kurds was the first thing on a very long list that excluded them from consideration of EU membership

I dont think the US is going to send troups into Turkey, just give turkey more military aid, impose sanctions on Kurdistan and then use those 10,000 turkish troops in the south somewhere while redeploying more troops to the northern oilfields

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Qadhafi

Well as a friendly country and a member of NATO for over 50 years its only right that the US should be supporting Turkey and its fight againist terror. Turkey is a secular democracy and clearly pro-Western in its policies

The PKK’s is responsible for the death's of thousands of people, including women, the elderly, children and in many instances even infants. It has recently organized kidnappings of children, of 14-17 years of age!

The PKK like FARC are narco terrorists and any action against them is only proper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I see what you're saying, and that's all perfectly fine, as long as Turkey is just going after the PKK. But if it turns out that Turkey is annexing Kurdistan, then its not. I don't know what to think myself, but we're almost certantly living in an era of rampant propaganda, which makes the situation very hard to judge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Now today it was announced that 10.000 Turkish troops are to be allowed to enter Iraq.
    What is the ultimate motive?
    I fear it could be annexation also, a carving up of Iraq against their peoples wishes.
    The PKK like FARC are narco terrorists and any action against them is only proper

Problem is that US only tends to fight certain types of terrorists and ignores other types !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

one of the agreements before the war was that the turks would not be left in to iraq as the kurds (on the americans side in iraq) feared they would attack them and take their land. now bush is letting them in, betrayting his own allies

Someone please define the difference between a fredom fighter and a terrorist. I would support FARC before the columbian gov, and I would support the PKK before the turks.

As long as Qadhafi brought up FARC it might as well point out that they were origionally a democratic political group, and were being duely elected by a rising proportion of columbians up untill US backed terrorists assasonated them in bloody masacres and seized power(YES I have proof, its in many of chomsky's books).

FARC stop narco trafficing where they can and tax it where they cant. The US backed paramilitaries that keep an oppressive regime in power are the main source of narco trafficing in S.America.

Turkey isnt involved in an anti-terrorist campaign, they are involved in a campaign of ethnic cleansing. Displacing of millions, murder, torter, rape etc
    [The PKK] has recently organized kidnappings of children, of 14-17 years of age!
    There are chieldren as young as 13 in camp X-Ray in Cuba. A place above and beyond the law. Go Figure

So what if Turkey is wesern oriented, we're not perfect.

• Advertisement

I dont know how anyone can support terrorists, i dont know how it can be justified to kill rape bomb torture innocent civilians. So as long as the U.S has camp X-Ray then its ok to support these organisations?

Qadhafi I dont know how anyone can support terrorists, i dont know how it can be justified to kill rape bomb torture innocent civilians. So as long as the U.S has camp X-Ray then its ok to support these organisations?
    You are saying that 13 year olds are doing the work of armies!:confused:
    I asked you to define the difference between a fredom fighter and a terrorist, you couldnt do it because it conflicted with your political dogma. Do you dispute the well reported facts I quoted on FARC, of couse not because you no doubt have read them before in a respecable paper or book:cool:
    No one is above the law. Are you advocating that the means jusify the end, or do you even have a sensible coherent doctrine.

I dare you to calmly, point by point, support camp X-ray and simultaneously use sound logic to disprove what I have said. I dont think youll do it. I think you'll just put down a one line
    sound-bite.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

If they are with us : Freedom Fighter
    If they are against us : Terrorist

Seriously, Bush explained it real easy. :rolleyes:

Didn't the Kurds help the US in the Iraq war? o_O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

Mark Thomas explained the US viewpoint of Kurds at his gig.

Turkish Kurds are bad Kurds cause they hate Turkey and Turkey is our friend.

Iraqi Kurds are good Kurds cause Saddam hates you, and we hate Saddam.

Iranian Kurds, we LOVE Iranian Kurds, cause they hate Saddam, but they hate Saddam from Iran, and could cause trouble, therefore BAD KURDS.

Simple eh?

Kurds fought with US troops when they entered from the Turkish border, and now they're being shafted again by the US.....

Vader, there is no vald arguement for supporting terrorism, its a shameful arguement. Any terrorist actions have to be condemened no matter what political view they may have.

Do you condone terrorism?

I dont support camp X-ray. Lets get back to the thread on supporting US supporting the Turkish governement fighting terrorists. Im in favour of this action.

What Im saying is very much on subject, you just wont accept it.
    Im saying that the Turks are the terrorists and the PKK are freedom fighters

I think of a freedom fighter as somebody who has been oppressed and is jusified to fight his oppressors so that he might end his oppression(attacks on soldiers) or transfer the suffering from his people to those who oppress him(attacks on civilians) so that they might rethink their position ie they might accept what they are doing is wrong and so stop.

Why should he have to fight a pitch battle when most modern wars are won by bombs deployed by soldiers their victums never see?

A terrorist has an agenda which he is willing to force onto people. His attacks focus on the psycological impact(shock and awe, if you will) of those actions,
    ie who dies and how they die is more imporant than how many die. Terrorism involves both the use of force or the threat of force(remind you of any countries foreign policy)

The Turks have killed, raped, and displaced more civilians than the PKK and still the US sends them weapons and support?:confused:

Advertisement