Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College LGB societies

Options
  • 03-10-2003 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭

A few days ago, I noticed the LGB society in college had a stall during clubs and societies day. It made me wonder how many LGB students actually sign up and attend those society meetings, and if people do so, do they actually find them to be of benefit. Are they simply 'cliques' or do they offer a supportive and inclusive atmosphere?

I joined our college society in WIT, a meeting will be on around the middle of October. I'm just trying to gauge peoples what peoples experiences are with these societies.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I joined only in my final year (TCD). I found it quite cliquey and not all that supportive. Indeed in my first year I remember how they had signs up to join the LGB to "shock your friends". Yeah, how the heck was that supposed to encourage someone to go seek their support when they were just getting to grips with their sexuality? It pissed me off no end because it wasn't even targeted at those who may have needed it most.
    I have been told, on the other hand, that since I left (in the misty days of 2001), that it's got a lot better. That's something I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I guess it depends who else is in it, much like any other group.

Many moons ago, during a brief time in UCD :p I joined the LGB society. It was an alright group, but I didn't have that much in common with most of them, but still it was a social outlet of sorts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭hedgetrimmer

I remember the LGB in UCD have a good few hundred members, but only about 20-30 turned up at the coffee afternoon. I agree with ixoy that they can be cliquey, but at least you get to meet people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

the lgb soc in ucc had its first meeting of the year last wednesday and i have to say that it was quite good. i got a real shock though when i entered the room, there was 64 people at the meeting. thats alot of people.

im in second year now and i went to one meeting last year, i didnt have the time to be going every week and i was afraid that it would be cliquey and i wouldnt fit in this year because of last year but everyone was really nice and it was all really cool. i was well impressed with the whole thing and even though i dont know many of them at all, i will be going back next week.

i think what helps is web forums specific to the soc. i know in ucc we have one that alot of people use (some just post, others just read) and i know there is one in trinity. are there ones in other universities??? it does help, it lets you know whats going on and you do get a little brief look at what everyone is like

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

First of all,

I know that some people can find LGB socs to be a bit cliquey but I haven't found that at all. I think this can happen when there is a small group of friends who run the society and think that the society is them.

I went to a small college in Dublin and we had ups and downs with societies. Personally I regret not joining last year.

Such societies exist to provide support, social outlets and information.

Last year I went because the was society in NCI was small to events in Trinty, UCD, NCAD and DIT and I found to say I found all of the people in those societies really nice and not cliquey at all!

For more info on some societies/USIs LGB campaign see

www.usilgb.org

Also for any of you who are Pink Training Virgins, I would highly reccomend Pink Training which is taking place in NUIG 7th - 9th Nov.

Haven't got time right now to explain what pink training is as I'm in work at the moment,

I'll explain more at the weekend

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭oneweb

The posters in DIT were, last year at least, purely 'shock based' or the real stereotype 'fairy (pic of washing up liquid)' and all that.

Got as far as the door of one meet, peered through the door, only saw 5-6 ppl inside, came back a few mins later, no more ppl had arrived since, and the video had started so I chickened out altogether and headed off.

I kinda regret it now but hey!

It is what it's.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Originally posted by oneweb
    The posters in DIT were, last year at least, purely 'shock based' or the real stereotype 'fairy (pic of washing up liquid)' and all that.

Really? How *dull* :rolleyes:
    Seriously, I think that sort of advertising is a bad idea. I think it discourages those who are at odds with their sexuality from joining. There's plenty of gay folk who'd be offput by being described as a "fairy" or whatnot as much as there those who'd take it as the joke I'm sure was intended. For those who don't fit stereotypes, I think those posters can alienate them further. Why not just advertise it for what is: a society for lesbian, gay, and bisexual people without trying to enforce a particular image of said people?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

I was a member of NUIG LGBT society for two years, went more in the second year. Was a great experience and always felt welcomed. There was always a formal meeting where any issues were discussed and then we usually went erm.... to one of the bars in town :)

All in all a good experience and I made a lot of friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭oneweb

Maybe being in a small, split up college had something to do with my reluctance to go. It might have been easier in a bigger college.

It is what it's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 alex122

I joined only in my final year (TCD). I found it quite cliquey and not all that supportive.

I have been told, on the other hand, that since I left (in the misty days of 2001), that it's got a lot better. That's something I guess.

Yep... times sure have changed!

Last year I went to a few events and as ever when you don't know many people it can seem really cliquey at first. Now that I'm on the committee this year I'm making a big effort to change things. We always welcome new members and chat to them etc.. ie broaden the group. LGBT socs are there as a safe place for LGBT students to meet similar people, become more comfortable, and most importantly have fun!

So... if your in TCD and still thinking of coming along to one of our weekly Wednesday events or coffee hours plz do... it will be hard at first but we're there to make an effort too!

As always we can meet up with you beforehand and go along with you, just email a member of the committee! [in my case the Treasurer... you'll fine my email addy on the committee page]

www.trinitylgb.org

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭youdecide

hi im in first year in DCu, and i was wondering what the lgb group is like?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭tendofan

I've no idea - though RedBrick are still on the go in DCU and I believe that they still have their newsgroups and forums, so maybe you could find out on the quiet through there.

I never got into LGB socs myself, I was very much in the denial stage at the time, but they seemed to be very active while I was there, though that's a few years ago now.

Tendofan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭darkened_corner

I was involved with the setting-up of the IT Tallaght society. It (theoretically) existed for the last two years, but it's only this year that we've actually started getting much done beyond the trips to Pink Training. We're making the society as supporting as possible, there's a discretion policy being put in place that people have to sign on joining the society that basically says "what happens in the society stays in the society". No purposeful or accidental "outing" of fellow students, or you're in trouble deep. I've found the LGB extremely liberating, the first gay friends I ever mad were through the society, and the first lesbian I ever met (again through the society) is now just one of my very closest friends. The society has given me a way to get out of my shell and make new friends and meet the kind of people I need to in order to develop and grow as a gay man.

Anyhow, that's my say.

Advertisement