Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Networking...

Options
  • 03-10-2003 12:34am

I'd like to network my two comps,one running win98 the other xp. Im completly new to this so I'll have to be spoon fed ;). Is it difficult?

Also, is there a way of installing xp over 98 without having to delete everything from my hard drive? Supposedly you cant update from 98 to xp :(. Ive made a fair collection of downloads that I dont really want to part with.

tnx for ne info.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Re networking - just look at the previous threads in this forum and net/comms...

and if you want to put Xp on a 98 machine
    - a pc that came with 98 won't run Xp - stroll, walk or crawl
    - you need to BUY a License
    - you need to decide if you want XP Home or PRO etc...

The general advice is if there are ANY problems with an OS then upgrading will usually make them worse - with windows clean installs are recomended whenever possible...

Re not being able to go from 98 to XP - not sure - don't care.

ie. you could upgrade 98 to 2K and upgrade 2K to XP...
    cf. There is no cure for the common cold - but if you take a cold shower and run around naked for a few hours you will get pneumonia which can be cured.. (but you'd still have the cold)

So unless you have a specific need for a particular OS on a machine it is usually best to leave the originally installed OS on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Jabba
    I'd like to network my two comps,one running win98 the other xp. Im completly new to this so I'll have to be spoon fed ;). Is it difficult?
    As was said, have a look at the previous threads on this.

Also, is there a way of installing xp over 98 without having to delete everything from my hard drive? Supposedly you cant update from 98 to xp :(. Ive made a fair collection of downloads that I dont really want to part with.

tnx for ne info.
    XP retail will install happily over 98, keeping all of your files, and converting the filesystem to NTFS if you so desire.
    How do I know? I've done it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by Jabba
    Im completly new to this so I'll have to be spoon fed ;)
    No spoon feeding here!
    It's not difficult at all, take a look at some of the links I posted in the FAQ in Net/Comms

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pablo21

I've done this countless times on countless different machines and if you have a 98 machine, 99% of the time an XP upgrade will cure all its woes! PM me if you need any more specific information.

XP will go straight onto a 98 PC with little or no issues. Run the compatability check before hand, Its will advise you of any issues. As for networking them...
    NIC card in each one.
    One Crossover CAT5 cable of suitable length.
    Put both PC's on the same workgroup.
    Give them different names.
    Share one folder on each to make it visible.
    Install TCP/IP protocol on each.(Off system disc)
    Install NETBUI on Each. (Off system disc)
    Connect and run the Networking wizard on the XP Machine.

P.S. If you have a CD burner you will more than likely need to update your software to enable you to copy CD's directly.
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

im a total gimp when it comes to all this operating system stuff and I just went from 98fe to XP Pro with no probs.

I did have to convert to NTFS but thats easy, I can tell you how
    ( not that other people have shown me)
    and my sound card which was made by aztech did not have drivers for XP, so I bought a sound card in the wanted board.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Don't forget to throw out your winmodem...
    I've also had problems with serial mice and 2K

Thanks for all the replies lads. Will give it a go when I get home! :)

Advertisement