Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Pier to Pier

• 03-10-2003 9:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

Anyone ever setup or know if its possible to setup a wireless pier to pier lan?? i.e. no hub? All help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭HarryD

Depends on which pier you're on.
    If it's the one in Dun-Laoighre it's easy, whereas any on the
    west coast are a little trickier :D

Just kidding.. yes it is possible and easy, you just need 2 wireless cards. However a Access point (hub) comes in handy if a 3rd computer wants to join the network ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pablo21

SO they dont need to see a hub? (as in wired lan...crossover cable?)
    Is there any special configuration required?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

If you are using 802.11 wireless peer to peer mode is known as ad-hoc. As far as I know all the available 802.11 interfaces support this. I should warn you however that I failed to get a peer to peer network going in my house using two Belkin 802.11b USB adapters. The network worked great as long as both computers were in the sme room but when I moved the computers to opposite ends of the house the signal strength dropped off and the connection speed seemed to slow to a crawl. I have heard of others who had better experiences and I have also been told that having an access point (i.e. hub) would improve things but I got somewhat disillusioned by the whole wireless idea. I have more or less convinced myself that I can run an ethernet cable between the two machines for less money and with a far better quality of network in the end. If you have only two computers ethernet (with crossover cable) works great for peer to peer by the way. Much cheaper and simpler to set up than wireless and much faster.

By the way I should put in a good word for Marx Computers in Fairview. They had a good price on the usb adapters (€85 for the pair if I remember). They allowed me to try a second pair to see if that improved things and they happily gave me my money back when I explained that I wasn't satisifed even though the adapters were working.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Peer to Peer - Ad Hoc - it's slower than using AP's and from what I've heard it don't really work if you try to add a third device.

Pier to Pier www.dublinwan.org could benefit with a link from Dunlaoghaire to the North wall...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight

Pier to Pier www.dublinwan.org could benefit with a link from Dunlaoghaire to the North wall...

They've already got Dun Laoghaire linked a lot further north than North Wall :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement