Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading an old computer

• 03-10-2003 9:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

I have an old Apricot MS600 233 P2 computer which keeps crashing. Its primary use is for my kids to play games on, multiplayer Age of Conquorers.

So I was considering replaing the mobo with a new one. I have a case, PSU, DVD, HDD and 17" screen, all I need is a new mobo, CP and Memory, easy.
    :cool:

But selecting a new mobo is like walking into a sweet shop with a fiver in you hand.

Going from 233 to >2GHz is like a warp jump so I do not need to go High end (3GHz). In fact I was considering a Celeron 2.6 on a P4 mobo. I am also considering a 865G chip set so that I do not need a AGP at the start and maybe Santa could bring me a AGP.
    I can then afford 512MB of RAM (budget of E300)

So can you please advise on the following,
    Will my old PSU run a P4 mobo? I seem to have read somewhere about an addition 12V supply needed, how can I check my old PSU. would this apply to a AMD XP mobo.

Do all CPU's need a cooling fan? If so why are they not included in the bundles.
    Do you get the Heat transfer gel with the fan?

It seems that the PSU and Fan could add E100 to by budget which will then change the choice of CPU.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 bowside

your PSU is most likely 200W or less, andnot P4 compliant, i.e. it does not have the extra 12V connector needed to plug into the mobo. Without some mad modding of the PSU you'll need a new one.

Make sure the mobo you get has an 8x AGP slot on the board, some manufacturers leave them out to screw you into buying a new mobo again when you get a GFX card.

As for CPU's, if you get the Boxed Version and not the OEM version of the 2.6 Celeron, you get a heatsink and fan with it, and paste I think.

even if you can only get the OEM version, the Celeron gives out a low amount of heat and the cheapest heastink/fan combo for the Socket478 will do, which will be well under €50 anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

As bowside said, the celeron doesnt give much heat out at all, you dont need a heavy duty fan for the job! A fan for the celeron is like 7 euro and that comes with the goo! A new Power supply will set you back about 25 quid, but for an extra 27 you can get a new case with 2xUSB 2.0 on the front, not to mention 2 on the back and room for another 2 on the board.

omathuna www.jaguarcompsys.ie

ill look after ye ;)

Mark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

you'll more than likely bust the ass out of your PSU if you run a newer P4 mobo. Id take Red-ice's advice on the tower, its worth it for the USB ports alone.

Im assuming you dont wanna go AMD, so no rant there.......

dont sweat over AGP 8x, but a 800fsb mobo is a definate plus for the future.

Personally, while you may not need the power, you would be much better off going with a P4 2.0 than a Celeron. All the retail boxed Intel chips come with a HS, Fan and paste. Not to mention
    a swifty 3yr warranty. Also, *** when (if) you go to resell the machine it will be easier to sell and hold its value.

NEVER, EVER! EVER! run ANY chip without a heatsink and fan thats desinged for it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I have all Intel based machines at home but if your out for good performance and on a budget, id recommend an amd based system. You'd save yourself a good bit. You'll need a new psu, no question about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Are you sure that old case is a proper ATX one? A lot of brand name PC's (dells, packard bell, etc) often use customised cases and motherboards which will not fit a standard ATX motherboard/PSU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

You could go for AMD, cheaper, and you dont seem to need high speeds.

You could get 512 ram a ATX Mobo. a 2500 barton and a PSU for about 360.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Think a new case and PSU is definetly on the cards.......

An AMD system is prob what you are looking for as your on a budget. An Xp2500+ , Abit KD7 , Pc3200 - 512mb Ram (Pc3200 is only €1 more than Pc2700 , why not. OEM ram is generally TwinMos from komplett) , That case from jaguar systems.......... and your laughing

Did you say you had a graphics card or you were looking for onboard graphics, or do you need an AGP one ........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭omathuna

Thanks for the help and advice.

I think I am near a decision on what to get.

Celeron 2.4 GHz
    Asus P4S800, (SiS 648 chipset 800 FSB)
    DDR 512 MB PC3200
    ATI Radeon 9200 128MB (Hercules AGP 8x)
    PSU, case and fan

This adds up to just over E350.

I am still thinking of a P4 2.4 GHz but at twice the price of a celeron I do not think I will get twice the performance.

Anyone have any experince on the Mobo or AGP?

Advertisement