Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What aeriel to pickup english channels?

• 03-10-2003 10:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

I want to keep an aeriel in the attic but I want to receive bbc/utv/ch4 as well as the irish channels. can anyone recommend an aeriel to get? where around dublin city centre can i get one at the best price?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

I'm in Galway, is it even possible to get ch4/bbv/itv with an aerial?

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭BANZAI_RUNNER

not sure,
    maybe on the east coast or northeast coast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

If you want accurate advice more information is needed about your exact location.
    The best source of info is your neighbours, if some or all of them have large aerials pointing in the same direction then that is what you will need. If nobody in your area has any large aerials then it is a good bet that BBC/ITV reception is not possible where you live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Galway

Unless you receive BBC/UTV/Ch 4 from a deflector - currently Balla, Loughrea, Kiltimagh are receivable in parts of the county. In the city or connemara forget it - NTL cable or digital MMDS only options. Towards Roscommon border you may be able to get a picture (not great) direct from Brougher Mountain.

Originally posted by sirpsycho
    I want to keep an aeriel in the attic but I want to receive bbc/utv/ch4 as well as the irish channels. can anyone recommend an aeriel to get? where around dublin city centre can i get one at the best price?
    If you are located in dublin city centre or anywhere away from the coast around dublin, you haven't a hope of getting anything from the UK from an aerial located in your attic.
    You may receive something if you are on high ground and with a sea view but not very often.
    mm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Aardvark

Originally posted by John R
    If you want accurate advice more information is needed about your exact location.

How about getting Channel 5 in the city-centre of Dublin? I know it's almost impossible, but any guidance would be helpful - the finals of the baseball World Series are about to start and Channel 5 have the games live! (Go Cubs!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Almost? Its zero I'm afraid. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

BBC, UTV and EVEN C4 can work with an Aerial on a BIG pole, but even in NI most people need a Dish for Five.

My Mum didn't even know Five existed till she got Sky Digital. Where she lives some folks have to get Scottish TV rather than NI.

Originally posted by Aardvark
    How about getting Channel 5 in the city-centre of Dublin? I know it's almost impossible, but any guidance would be helpful - the finals of the baseball World Series are about to start and Channel 5 have the games live! (Go Cubs!)
    I think you would get Channel five from presely with a large pole ( about 60ft depending on obstacles ) and a Quad aerial (group B) array.
    Thats what the montrose Hotel opposite U.C.D used and they aren't too far out from the city centre ( about 1.75 miles I think )

mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Dont quote me on this but I think there is still a deflector operating in North Connemara (it sources its signal feom Westport who in turn get it from Balla)

In Dublin Its possible to get UK terrestrials most places North of Coolock along the coast and in the foothills of the mountains

For the person trying to get Channel 5 youre almost certainly better off getting a Digibox with a UK card

• Advertisement
Advertisement