Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

good and bad "own brand foods"

• 03-10-2003 11:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭

anybody have any good or bad review on "own brand" foods from supermarkets or other cheap brands

tesco value beans- rotten, dry inside and hard

tesco value fruit shorties- vile, hard like cardboard, raisins like glass just taste like flour.

homeblest chocolate digestives- pretty good, better than most cheap digestives

tesco value salted peanuts- fine, just like most brands i have never tasted bad peanuts. these are only about 2.20 a kilo

tesco finest sausages- dearer than most others but very nice, sticky skin like good butchers sausages

aldi creole sauce- lovely, just sweet enough and full of peppers, big peppers not chilli peppers

tesco sauces- jars of korma and curry etc- very good, especially the creamy sauces most have more % cream than the expensive brands and are nicer tasting than many too

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The Lidl "Pizza" pizzas (what an imaginative name for a pizza brand) are gorgeous.

At least, they are when you get rid of all those horrible tomatoes off the top before cooking it.

Their pack of three types of salami is very nice also. Shove a couple of slices in a fresh bap, a slice of cheese on top, and bung it in the microwave. Yum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Dunnes own-brand 'Crisp Rice' cereal. Waaay nicer than Rice Crispies imho..

Teeth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Originally posted by Sarky
    The Lidl "Pizza" pizzas (what an imaginative name for a pizza brand) are gorgeous.

At least, they are when you get rid of all those horrible tomatoes off the top before cooking it.

Their pack of three types of salami is very nice also. Shove a couple of slices in a fresh bap, a slice of cheese on top, and bung it in the microwave. Yum.

yup the lidl pizzas r nice. Some of the them a reallt rough though(like the foru cheeses one) cuz they take forever for the base to cook and be crispy. But ye the pakc of three pizzas with the big mad pepperoni slices on them r well nice. Also there was this really nice stone baked oevn pizza one that i had from there(or might have been aldi) that was well nice too. Lidls 'big bag' crisps r nice to too, like the Paprika s one and their tortilla chips. Also there petit foulus(spelling?) r well nice too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

yellow pack cornflakes, just the thought of them makes my stomach turn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Tesco bread - Tastes of bleach, I know it sounds a stupid thing to say but my teeth feel disgusting after it and it leaves a funny taste in the mouth.

Tesco Fruit and Nut choccy - Very tasty and very cheap :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

yep tesco cheap bread is vile, strange neutral taste and feels like foam biting into it. the stay fresh bread is a bit better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

lidl also have frozen done kebabs which you pop into the microwave, add some chili sauce that comes it, and enjoy. I like to add cheese and some salad as well, but they do come with plenty of meat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭antwalsh

I can verify those peanuts at Tesco are brilliant value and taste ok. No difference noticable especially after a few pints.

I stepped into Aldi's shop in town recently but didn't buy anything as I hadn't a clue what was good/bad. Anyone know what's worth buying in Aldi?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

tescos white lable orange juice, i know its not a food, but anyway, its as nice as squeeze, no bits, and only 64c per liter

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Aldi's dry roasted peanuts, some pizzas and lemonade are absolutely savage. Avoid the creme pizza though. Had it after a few dozen jars and it was still disgusting!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Cheez

Most of the Lidl dairy stuff is great
    The mature cheddar with the green label is fukin lovely and chaep to boot,also the premium pils 6 bottles(50cl=500ml in each) for 6.15. lovely malty taste,blows the face off ya! NACH DEM DEUTCHEN REINHEITSGEBOT! Oh and their chocolate an ice-cream rocks too. oh and 10 48x cd-r's for 6.99 aint too shabby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Lidl have great tiramisu desserts. 2 pots in a pack for 1 Euro, and they're just about better than anything I've ever tasted in a restaurant. Also their gelaterie range of ice-creams is brilliant. 2 Euro for a massive tub with flavours like tiramisu, chocolate and vanilla, fruits and vanilla. Compare than to spending nearly 6 euro on a tub of ben and jerry ( even though they are gorgeous)

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I like the Lidl "Sirius" dry roasted peanuts. Indeed the multipack crisps arent the worst I've tasted either.

Also fond of the Fink Brau beers if I'm strapped for cash! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Originally posted by antwalsh
    I stepped into Aldi's shop in town recently but didn't buy anything as I hadn't a clue what was good/bad. Anyone know what's worth buying in Aldi?

i dunno about aldi, i don;t shop there, but in lidl they have this deal that i u buy something and u don't like it, then u can just bring it back. Theres a lot of things that are really nice in lidl and some pretty bad stuff too. Like the bran flakes r well nice and they use to have this replica brand of Nut Clusters. they were well nice, but i haven't seen them in there for a good while. the Brown slice pan in the silver wrapping is good and the other round loaf one too is good. te milk and yoghurts are good the same as normal brands just way cheaper. Definetly stay away from the tooth paste and the pizzas in the clear packs. Some of the veg can be a bit dodgy too, peppers, cabbage, cucumber and lettuce r ok though. Thats all i can think of at the mo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

superquinn steak and kidney pie, sex in pastry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Lidl's orange juice in the blue carton, 1.5L...I'd go so far as to say that its better than/on a par with every other pure* orange drink on the market.

*- Because Tropicana: Tropics, with its sumptuous blend of fruits and orange, wipes the floor with all other products.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭drjolt

Lidl's Fruit & Fibre is good, they also do some excellent chocolate chip cookies. Blue packet, the brand name is 'Tennessee' or some similar american place name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by NoelRock
    Lidl's orange juice in the blue carton, 1.5L...I'd go so far as to say that its better than/on a par with every other pure* orange drink on the market.
    It really is outstanding. Plus it's 98 cents for the 1.5L carton:D

I like that medium curry sauce in a jar they have too. Yummy curry. And those chicken breasts.

Dunnes crispy pancakes are vile. I like their strawberry yogurt though. And the strawberry and peach one.

The ultra-cheap beans are terrible, regardless of where you get them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

Lidl orange juice, comes in a glass bottle with loads of juicy bits. It's just as nice as Tropicana but nowhere near as expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

Aldi Chocolate = Top!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 funkyniff

whenever we go to lidl my boyfriend stocks up on salami..there is one big one for about €3.50 and then little mini ones (cant remember how much) but they are really gorgeous!!! esp as tescos offer a few measly slices...only problem is now im on a diet they are in the frige and really hard to resist...

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭DéiseGirl

Kalina wrote:
    Lidl orange juice, comes in a glass bottle with loads of juicy bits. It's just as nice as Tropicana but nowhere near as expensive.

Love that orange juice. Pity the bottle is so small though....well it seems small when I guzzle it all down in one go I suppose! :D

Lidl do lovely little chocolate bars in 5 packs. They're mini versions of their BIG chocolate bars but they're great because you can restrain yourself to just eating one. Or 3! Their dry roasted peanuts are also junktastic ;)

Also love their cheese. If you like baked camembert (which is often served as a starter in restaurants) they do packs of 4 in the freezer section for about €2.50, which is great value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Dunnes' "Wheat Bisk" is just like Weetabix but cheaper.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

mmmmm....superquinn sausages! so so good :) I also like their cheese.

Dunne's Cranberry and raspberry juice is almost as good as Ocean Spray.

My cat likes Euroshopper cat food :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

My rule of thumb when shopping in Lidl or Aldi is to avoid anything that attempts to be a "copy" of something that typically would only be usually available in the UK or Ireland, like mint sauce or baked beans for example. That having been said they have some pretty nice cheddar :) The fresh veggies are perfectly good too.

Pretty much everything else is perfectly OK, or in many cases, superior to what you get in other UK based or native supermarkets. Having lived in Germany myself I recognise certain brands anyway, and the ability to read the labels gives you an extra level of confidfence too, but I'd suggest just giving it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭deedee lepoopoo

Tesco Value strawberry mousse (like angel delight): fandabbydozy.

Tesco finest yogurts (strawberry, lemon, rhubarb & raspberry): yummyy & 4 for €2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Tesco finest yogurts (strawberry, lemon, rhubarb & raspberry): yummyy & 4 for €2

The fudge one is great too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭catspring

i reckon tesco pickle tastes as good as branston pickle.
    but tesco brand beef stock cubes don't disolve right and don't have a great flavour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

lidl brown bread (real, not the sliced pan) is made by the same people that make paul rankins brown bread, they even look the same, and its nowhere near as expensive.

aldi, on this valentines day, i would like to express my love for.
    all the fresh produce is sourced in ireland: bread, fruit, veg, cheese, milk, rashers etc, which is more than i can say for tesco.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

The Cornflakes in Aldi are very good. Probably nicer than Kelloggs.
    Also the Luxury Caramel ice-cream is delicious! full of chunky fudge bits.
    I can also vouch for the muffins and bran flakes. In fact most stuff is fine really.

Advertisement