Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Rules of football

Options
  • 03-10-2003 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭

A lot of critism of football in general seems to be of the rules and the fact that there are so many fouls commited but let go. So what rules would ye like to see to cut down on all this pulling, pushing and dragging?

My opinion is that if a tackle like what is in the compromise rules were there it would encourage people to move the ball rather than charging through the opponent. It might also encourage fitter rather than stronger players to come out on top a bit more.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

I agree tackles should be harder, i would also like to see the hand pass to be enforced better..it seemed like tyrone and armage got away wht quite a bit of push passing this year.

I would like to see the fast free kick brought back in and would like to see a sin bin system.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

What i'm suggesting would be a harder tackle but the reasoning for introducung it would be to have a 'clearly defined' tackle. As it is neither players or referees can be 100% on what's allowed and what isn't. Too much is left up to the interpretation of the referees.

I think the compromise game is far better from a spectators point of view as the ball has to be moved fast.

Sin-bin is a good idea too. Another would be allowing the player run 10m before playing the ball. It's more or less that way anyway now so why not make it official.

A four point goal might be good too. (But definitely not in hurling)

well the way dublin shoot I would be infavour of behinds too !

I would agree that comp. tackles seem to work and work well.

hrmm it seems we have sorted the problem, meet me out side head quarteras at 5pm wekk talk to sean kelly about it

we gotta stop that running 10m past the pint of the free. I would suggust a second ref for that sort of carry on. Stlling players where the free is from keeping an eye on meath players etc etc

Why not let the fouled player carry on if they feel they can (again as in comp. rules). That way the player judges whether he/she wants to go back and take from the correct spot or continue on. Of course kicking from where you stop is basically continuing on and eliminates the nitpicking we see from referees over the correct blade of grass to take the free from.

Just thinking again! Why not just introduce a third 'main' game which is the Compromise rules. Let the fans and players decide what's a better game. Me thinking this because I couldn't imagine all the rule changes we've suggested been passed by the current powers that be.

I'd imagine one of the games would eventually die out through lack of interest.

yeah I doubt anything at all will happen. I was just thinking ...wouldnt compromise rules tackles eliminate the beautiful skill of the block and make pick up near impossible .

hrmmm I am seeing problems with our beautiful plans

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Might improve the image..
    "forget about the ball, and get on with the game."

"Rugby is a ruffians game played by gentlemen.
    Soccer is a gentlemens game played by ruffians,
    and Gaa is a ruffians game played by ruffians..."

Originally posted by Alany
    yeah I doubt anything at all will happen. I was just thinking ...wouldnt compromise rules tackles eliminate the beautiful skill of the block and make pick up near impossible .
    I don't think so. If a player is 2m from an opponent and he sees the player going to kick it then a block is the only option. Anyways it's rare that anyone attempts a block now (I know.. last sunday - 'twas suberb)

Allow a pick-up off the ground. It happens all the time now and is rarely penalised.

no gaelic football is a strange game played by normal people
    Hurling is a normal game played by strange people
    soccer is a crap game played by big sissys
    Rugby is a ruffians game played by ruffians
    Auzzie rules is a savage game played by savages
    and american football is pointless.

Oh I wouldnt like to see the pick up taken away. I think its a great rule ...

Advertisement