Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommended linux training in ireland?

• 03-10-2003 4:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend lunix administrator course(s) in Ireland, or books to the same effect? I have had not much luck in finding somewhere that regularly run them....Sick of doing MCP's and having to recert over and over again.

Generally sick of administrating (read as *constant* patching) MS servers and OS's to, want to learn linux!

In particular I want to do SuSe but any flavour will do really...

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭kermit_ie

Seeing as you seem to be of the opinion that it's called lunix, you should stick with Microsoft products...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

opps....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Hey we're learning already. Such a nurtering enviroment eh? :D

I wouldn't mind some Linx :eek: training myself!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There was a thread on the Unix forum recently - have a look at it.

If you use Dell's then look at Red Hat.
    Debian is also nice eg:.. www.knoppix.net (700MB download)
    Boot off the CD - you'll end up in a GUI, and can start a console and look up help at the same time... - If you have an etheret internet connection you can look up stuff on line and try it in another window.

I contacted some training compaines up in dublin a while back, some of them phoned me back claiming they did not have enough uptake to run a course on their premises altough they could arrange to come on site and do it for silly money on a 1 to 1 basis.

Could go over to the UK to do it, but there is the extra cost factor...

I suppose Red Hat would be the best to do but we use a couple of SeSu servers at work as firewall and external MTA. Would I be correct in assuming that the main network applications (sendmail, open ssh, apache etc) are pretty much the same on all the different distributions? I am a newbie
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's a bit like larger - everyone will tell you the one they drink is special - but if you drink stout they all taste the same.

If SuSE is what you have then learn it - it's what you will be using day to day - check their web site.
    But the apps are very similar and Knoppix has most of them .. preconfigured.

jasus i'm terrible with the typing errirs

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Global Knowledge were advertising a Linux admin course there a while back.. and also Redhat certification course.

They have a set course curriculum which they seem to follow strictly enough and might be worth checking out.

http://www.globalknowledge.net

IACT also do a linux systems admin course. Details here

Thanks a lot Toxic Paddy - one of those ones is right up my alley!

Hopefully should be going in December if I can get the funding from work :)

Cheers again guys....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

might be seeing you there..

Im pushing them in here to get me some training and certification so hopefully Ill be on one of them myself..

Tox

• Advertisement

Which one are you going for? I was thinking the IACT one as its distribution unspecific whilst the other link was red hat only (that I could see).

Also the IACT one is €1420 whilst the other one is €2000. I just phoned IACT and they said there was a 4 day course running in December with only 2 places left(!).

Its up in Dublin.

The IACT one at night would be the best for me as I doubt they would let me go during the day, way to busy here to have me off dossing during office hours.. :D

Seriously though, the out of office hours would suit me as you get certification and its probably less rushed..

Tox

Fair enough - I was talking about the day courses, you would have to contact them about the night ones....

I want to go during the day so I get paid for the training and then I can ask for a payrise afterwards :) sweet.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

IT courses are never cheap are they. 2K for 4 days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

Originally posted by ToxicPaddy
    might be seeing you there..

Im pushing them in here to get me some training and certification so hopefully Ill be on one of them myself..

Tox

any jobs going paddy ? :D

What area ya working in Emboss?

Advertisement