Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Custom Avatars...

Options
  • 03-10-2003 4:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

what about the option for having custom avatars... Or even set it that you have to have x amount of posts before you can select your custom avatar....???

Ive only just registered so appoligies if this has been brought up before...
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

if you buy a supporters pack you can have a custom avatar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Jay TKD

question... how many people have actually bought a supports pack!? I tried viewing 'more info' on the avatars... but the link is blank...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/misc.php?s=&action=showavatars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

anyone with red and black stars....

and how much are they!?

Originally posted by Jay TKD
    and how much are they!?

5 Euro per month, including e-mail, custom avatar, journal, custom title, photopost space and the satisfying feeling you are giving something back to the community.....

• Advertisement

thanks....!

presonally I dont think its worth it, in fact this is the first forum Ive seen that you have to pay for custom avatars and titles... (everyone has email, some sort of journal and its easy to find somewhere to upload photos for free if you dont have webspace..!)

I think I'll stick to the defaults!!!!! :)

thanks for the answers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

ITS THE WARM FUZZY FEELING MAN ...

only Devore or eskor or regi can give you that

LOL! Yea, but I get that warm fuzzy feeling from helping people... thats why I like to post... to answer questions and solve problems... (dont mind the fact that Im causing questions and problems now though....!!!)

gotta run.... coz Im in work and I wanna go home!!! should be on over the weekend to post....

thanks...!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

gotta run.... coz Im in work and I wanna go home!!! should be on over the weekend to post....

thanks...!

!!!!!!! \o/ !!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

presonally I dont think its worth it, in fact this is the first forum Ive seen that you have to pay for custom avatars and titles... (everyone has email, some sort of journal and its easy to find somewhere to upload photos for free if you dont have webspace..!)

Absolutely true, and that's cool. We offer the supporters pack to people so they can contribute to boards and get something back in return. boards has no paid staff, and we do a few money making things to pay the costs that we have. Also, since a lot of people kinda live here, the custom avatar, journal, title, etc means a little more I guess along with the warm fuzzy feeling.

As time goes on, we'll hopefully offer more bang for the supporter buck.

so your saying its going to be even warmer and fuzzier in the future ?

Wo0t !

No promises, just a few ideas which are staying firmly under my hat.

Originally posted by ecksor
    No promises, just a few ideas which are staying firmly under my hat.

You distract him alany, I'll go look for his hat.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 sinclair

We offer the supporters pack to people so they can contribute to boards and get something back in return. boards has no paid staff, and we do a few money making things to pay the costs that we have.

As Jay said all the custom avatars, personal journal, custom tagline, etc, etc are free on other bulletin forums how do they afford it? I wouldn't pay €5 a month for those things try €5 a year and give me a shout!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Roller Toaster

I think its time for you to get busy Jay:
    If you have more than 1000000 posts, you may also specify your own custom avatar.

Originally posted by sinclair
    As Jay said all the custom avatars, personal journal, custom tagline, etc, etc are free on other bulletin forums how do they afford it? I wouldn't pay €5 a month for those things try €5 a year and give me a shout!

That would be why I said 'absolutely true'. I don't know how other forums afford it.

Two things here:

1. Other sites don't offer you those features on boards.ie, which does make a difference to some people I think. There's no use in having the avatar on crackforums.com if you do all your posting on here.

2. We're not in competition with anyone. Some people like what we do and like to make a contribution to help us to do what we do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Roller Toaster

Well look at forums.somethingawful.com, you have to pay just to post or browse there in the first place, then you have to pay to change your avatar (each and every time you want to edit it), you have to pay to get private messages and search functions and you have to pay to get rid of the ads. All in all at $5 a pop for most things thats a pretty hefty cost for the basic functions which you get here for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Lets face it, what you get for your money is utter junk.

And you pay through the nose for it as well. I wouldnt spend 50 quid on things worth 5 times more than the crap you get with a supporters pack.

The only reason people really pay is to give something back for the years weve been allowed talk shìte here. (well, apart from the after hours kids who seem to like reading each others diarys)

I paid for my subscriber pack for 3 reasons

1. There is no discussion fourm like this in Ireland. I had been looking for one for some time before i found boards. If I can help the site stay up and running I will.

2. This is a community, as you ( sinclair and Jay) are new I dont expect you to appricate that yet. But to me and many others this is a community, and we all try and help out in a community (or at least we should). in my neighbourhood each household pays a yearly subscription for the up keep of the community centre and the residents commitee whether they use the community centre or not... this is because they want the community they joined to prosper is it not ?

3. 50 euro is not a lot of money to me at the moment ( thats the discounted 12 month price BTW) I was happy to pay for a service that is free for all to use. I could afford it. In fact its nice to have choice to pay or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I don't use the email, I don't like the red stars, I don't use a custom avatar, my journal became tedious after about 2 entries and my custom tagline refuses to go back to Moderator. Did I waste my money? Absolutely not, in fact it's worth every cent I paid.

The boards.ie team deserve to get something back. They keep things going reliably, they are nearly ( ;) ) always very helpful. They addon features and upgrades frequently.

I would estimate that they aren't making a huge profit, but they do deserve something back from us.

Originally posted by Praetorian
    my custom tagline refuses to go back to Moderator.

I can fix that if you want ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

That would be great Ecksor thanks. Every time I try, the letters come up asterisks!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

This thread doesn't feel right without:

customavatars.jpg

That would be great Ecksor thanks. Every time I try, the letters come up asterisks!

Going here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/subscriber.php?action=changetitle&s= and clicking 'reset' should do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

To stop subscribers pretending to be mods.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I too would agree with Jay. Its not worth it. I like the way Dusty puts it (and Alany.. .though Alany uses smartey-linux words :) )

Er... I'm not sure we've ever made profit. I mean, we dont actually have to fork out our hard earned dollahs any more (which is nice) but between server upgrades and new harddrives accounts (which still have to be filed with the CRO) preparation costs etc, theres not much left in the kitty. We get a few beers and a meal out of it from time to time but hey, its not like we are doing it to support someone (at least not yet!... patience Monty, climb the ladder...)

In the end, if you dont want to support us, you can still use the site as it is. That will never change. If we went down the SA Forums route of charging to even post, I'd leave because its not something that interests me. I'm certain none of the other admins would countenance that either.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Originally posted by DeVore
    (which still have to be filed with the CRO)

seriously? thats a bit much isnt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Dont be fooled. The warm fuzzy feeling everyone is referring to is only experienced by the admins who now have even more money to feed their crack habbits with.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Originally posted by Moriarty
    Dont be fooled. The warm fuzzy feeling everyone is referring to is only experienced by the admins who now have even more money to feed their crack habbits with.

you of course mean "craic" habits? ;)
    Yes, I'd say Dev is quite warm and fuzzy in the luxury Boards Manor with his BoardsMobile and his kinky pole which he INSISTS is for a speedy entrance to the Boardscave.

Rolling around in his millions upon millions of eurons in "political donations"...
    Or, maybe nobody REALLY cares that much about custom avatars, when I get the pack I don't plan to change the avatar, it would confuse people :) .
    Unless I can get some cool 3d-ised version of my current one.

Advertisement