Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overclocking using poor memory

Options
  • 03-10-2003 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭

i have an asus 7n8x deluxe with amd Barton 2500. forgive me if this is a really stupid question as I've never overclocked before...is it possible to overclock using pc2100 memory (cl2.5) as i've got a 512mb stick of it? From what i've read this is pretty sh*te stuff....

Thanks

P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Yea its possible to overclock with that ram. Normally overclocking will give you better performance from your CPU and Memory.
    Ie get Pc3200 ram and up your FSB to 200mhz. In your case it will prob just give you Cpu performance increase.

Do you have your ram running at 266mhz at the min?? The Xp2500+ has a 333mhz FSB, are you using dividers??

Other important factors will be your Power supply , Heatsink and case cooling.

Post more details and mabye what speed your (or setting) ram is at. It definetly is possible to overclock although Pc3200 Ram would be a much better option performance wise.

Loki

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Thanks Loki,
    I have this fear i'll balls up and cause damage....

I'm actually waiting for a new hard drive, new heatsink and fan before i install the barton chip and asus board. At the moment, I have a 2 year old Multivision system with:

an epox 8k7a mainboard
    amd 1.33 cpu
    512mb ram pc2100 *1
    Psu: 300w
    GF4 ti4200

in fan at the front of mini tower case, outfan at back, cpu fan, psu fan...

Is there anything else i can tell you, that might be useful? Forgive my ignorance but what are dividers?

Basically, i had €450 and i thought what would be the best upgrades for playing more games...
    I'm hoping to use the bones of this sys and install all the new stuff over the next week..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Its actually very hard to do any damage if your a little safe about it. Main thing is to keep your Vcore under 1.8v (the ammount of voltage going to the cpu) , and watch your temp's for the first while.

Dividers adjust the speed that your ram runs at when compared with the FSB (front side bus) . FSB x Multiplier = CPU speed , FSB x Divider = Ram speed . Dont worry if your clueless at the start the best way is to try small overclocks and get use to the workings and you'll be fine!!

For the Xp2500+ the FSB will be 166mhz , your ram is suppose to run at 133mhz FSB. So you will have to use dividers to run your Ram slower. Would be a big difference performance wise if you went for Pc3200 ram.

I personally would like an Abit NF7 over the A7N8X , have both myself and find the Abit one much more user friendly.

Your Ti4200 is a pretty good graphics card, you will have to spend €200 before you would see a majour increase in that area.

Your case cooling should be fine, get a good cpu cooler and the Xp2500+ should hit 2.2ghz (Xp3200+). Is the power supply a no-name?? That might be a problem, or you might be lucky and be ok. The q-tec ones komplett have are a good relativly cheap option.

€450 should get you a very nice performance increase. I would personally go for An Abit NF7 v2.0 , 512mb Pc3200, Xp2500+, good heatsink, hard drive.........

Advertisement