Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IR sensor on my fone doesnt work proper, i think

• 03-10-2003 6:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭

I have a Nokia 6800 and I cant send notes through the IR sensor, still trying to get a proper IrDA sensor for my pc, my friends can send messages to me but I cant send. I noticed that they have to give the number of the fone they are sending the message to but my phone doesnt ask for a phone number, it just tries to send and fails after a while.

Actually I tried it with a laptop that had a IR sensor, didnt have any drivers or nokia fone software but the phone was picked up by the laptop but couldnt send anything to the phone.

Could I bring the phone somewhere and get the software updated or something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭greg_f

Hi,

here is the contact details for nokia in Ireland.

Customer Care for Club Nokia Members: 1800 553275
    Customer Care for Non-Club Nokia Members: 1570 600666, €1.26 per minute

or call into a service center to get your software checked out ask the if your version caused any hastle *#0000# will display details

L0 Nokia Concept Store Hibernian Way, Dawson St, Dublin 2 01-6703786

Regards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Smithers

Hi Dempsey,

On my experience of nokias and i am sure i will be corrected if i am wrong! u need to use the nokia suite to transferr info from pc tp phone ,

unlike the SE , T300 , T68i for example , once the IR is connected beween phone and laptop u can transferr images , ringtones , themes ect without using any specific software,

if u want nokia suite and games ect drop me a pm and i will send u a cd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Have the nokia software. But as i said, me fone doesnt ask for a phone no.when sending through the ir sensor( other phones do) so maybe its messing up on other things aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 lectrosoul

a phones number doesnt need to be entered in any instance when you are sending info via 'ir' so this is wrong

you need to make sure that whatever device your sending to has enabled their 'ir' ie by going to the menu in their phone and turning ir on

then you should line the phones up no more then a meter apart and send the file, when the file is sending the 'ir' indicator on the phone should be flashing etc

i cant see any other problem here other than perhaps your phones firmware may need updating due to a glitch in the IR sw..
    do let me know how you get on.
    :ninja:

Originally posted by lectrosoul
    a phones number doesnt need to be entered in any instance when you are sending info via 'ir' so this is wrong
    On my mates 7250, he is asked for the phone number and he can send messages to me
    you need to make sure that whatever device your sending to has enabled their 'ir' ie by going to the menu in their phone and turning ir on
    Did that
    then you should line the phones up no more then a meter apart and send the file, when the file is sending the 'ir' indicator on the phone should be flashing etc
    Did that
    i cant see any other problem here other than perhaps your phones firmware may need updating due to a glitch in the IR sw..
    do let me know how you get on.
    :ninja:

Would phone shops update the software on my phone for me?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 lectrosoul

dont know whats wrong but you can go to MPRC in sandyford industrial esate and they'll sort it for you.. try their website mprc.ie for more info and a map to get there
    this is the company vodafone etc use to do repairs
    hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

What do you mean by "notes"? Do you mean text messages or "business cards" (containing a contact from their address book)? Where are these "notes" to be found once you have received them?

If you friends are sending you a "business card" (containing a contact from their address book) they have the option of sending it by SMS or IR. If they use SMS they will need a number to send it to ... most people do it this way rather than IR which is free but requires a little bit of set up (lining up phones etc).

IR dosn't require any phone numbers as it is a direct phone to phone link without using a mobile network.

BTW it's a bit cheeky of Nokia to charge for customer service. After all you would expect the manufacturer of the most popular handset to support their products by providing a reachable customer support at no additional cost to them!

Menu>6 (Notes) Its on newer nokias.

Hmmmm, i'll check that again about wanting a number. What happens when a couple of phones have IR's enabled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I don't - or can't find - "notes" on my Nokia 6610. I suspect that a phone can only make one connection at any time. The IR facility is primarily supplied as a means of communication between phone and a laptop and not for phone-to-phone communication which serves only a very limited secondary purpose. Furthermore, notes is of very little use as the recipient will probably have to have a Nokia hand set and be within the very close range required for IR connection. It would be quicker to tell them!!

Advertisement