Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dido's new album

Options
  • 03-10-2003 7:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭

Was looking forward to buying it for some time, & as soon as i play it i'm greeted with the occasional crackle & pop etc here & there, in consistent places on the disc. It plays fine in the cheapo ghetto blaster in the kitchen, & on my sister's cd walkman, but not my arcam dv88+.

I'm assuming this is bmg's copy protection, and that it uses the method of delibarately introducing bit errors onto the disc that most standalone cdplayers smooth out but pc cd players & combined dvd/cd players etc dont, am i right?, it's the first copyprotected cd i've bought.

If so that's such a pile of arse, i was looking forward to basking in dido's voice & now i'm just picking out crap all over the disc. Now i really hate all the little warez monkeys etc that spend their days downloading every album in existance, damnit :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭MartinHSabag

Yeah, sounds like that new protection.
    If I were you, I would returned the CD and get a refound.

Check here for more info.

P.S check private msg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Yeah bring it back for a refund....

EDIT: we dont promote this kind of thing.

(Only kidding ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

exact audio copy/cdparanoia or some other program (depends on the copyright control/make of cd drive) should enable you to rip it to wav and burn to a proper cd, then get a refund and buy a better album

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Originally posted by parasite
    then get a refund and buy a better album

Sound advice I say :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Korg

Cheers, good to know it's not the player :)

Yeah i was irratated enough to consider both options, however unless someone is offering the uncompressed-un-bastardised-copyprotected-wavs on kazza as opposed to mp3, & anyway now that i'm the wrong side of 30 & out of college my conscience gets in the way. & Much as i want to take the cd back to the shop & throw it at some completely innocent assistant & demand twice the cost back, then i'd have no dido :(

I found a handful of cdrom drives in work that would make copies of it all right (using fantom cd & eac), but there was the occasional dropout here & there & some pops remained, the cdrom drives don't error-correct & interpolate, maybe there's software out there that helps?, without affecting quality too much?

Stuck with the copy protection i guess. Lots of mis-directed rage now.
    then get a refund and buy a better album
    i stand by dido! i dont care what ye say :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Apparantly this album has becoming the fastest selling album since Oasis's Be Here Now album... so is it any good?

Am thinking of picking it up.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Originally posted by robbie1876
    Apparantly this album has becoming the fastest selling album since Oasis's Be Here Now album... so is it any good?

Am thinking of picking it up.
    You're comparing it to Be Here Now, the omens don't look good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

pfft 'be here now' broke world records for being brought into 2nd hand shops

Advertisement