Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How would you like to be laid to rest?

Options
  • 03-10-2003 11:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭

For want of a better phrase....

Basically, how would you like to be remembered, but not in the achievement sense.

Me, I'd like to be cast in iron.

Not a statue though. I mean literally putting my body into a vat and encasing it in iron in some pose or whatever. And putting it somewhere.:f33r:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Plasticman

I want my corpse reanimated in a cybernetic organism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Spenguin

Well, I don't really care what they do with my lifeless corpse when i die, but i wanna be remembered alright.

even if it is hatefully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

*stares* Garóg, I worry about you.

I want my body to be sent into space. In a little rocket heading towards some far-off planet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Personally i want to be cremated. And just as my body is going into the furnace, i want a live band to start playing "another one bites the dust"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

I want to be cremated because I have a fear of being buried alive. And have some of my ashes thrown into the wind, some into the sea and the rest buried in my back garden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

I wish to die alongside a wedding, with everyone mourning my loss, and people commiting suicide because im so great. Then I will be buried in a pit of angst.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Zukustious

I wouldn't like to be laid to rest. I'll tell ya what. How about I just... don't die. Yeah I like that idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

Cremated. And I'd like Bohemian Rhapsody played at my funeral. And I'd like at least one rifle fired. Preferably in an honour guard, but if someone wants to go postal instead, by all means go ahead.

Also:
    I want some kind of communist icon burned to symbolise my love of capitalism

I want no priests except the one in the coffin/urn

I want at least one bullet in with me. That way, if this god fella turns out to be real I can like........shoot him.......or something. Old skool :f33r:

I'd like my ashes to be spread over the battleground of Omaha Beach, as a tribute to the men who fought and died for freedom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dead....thats how.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭ll=llannah

what a lovely subject, Garog.

As interesting as the idea of ancient Egyptians was, with the mummification and emptying the body of its insides and the encasement in gold and the huge pyramids and such....I'd prefer to not be buried. Cremation for me. I'm afraid I'd be a tad bit claustrophobic down in a coffin. (I'm aware that I won't care at that stage, but still, pillows or not, its uncomfortable down there, or so I hypothesize..... but I think I'd quite like burning once I'm devoid of the capability to feel pain.)
    But I want a temple in my memory. A big temple. In Crete. With corinthian columns and looming statues and imposing heights and lots of marble. Yes. That will do nicely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Green Hand Guy

I have a fear of being buried alive

And yet no fear of being burned alive? Imagine waking up in the cremator machine thingy and it's slowly getting warmer and warmer. It gets hard to breath, your flesh starts to sting and melt off. You break out in blisters and then scream as the last remains of your brain are turned to ash.

But since being buried alive is also pretty damn scary I'm going to have my brain put into a super intelligent robotic body and have my body preserved in a glass case and put on display in my living room for all to see. And it'll be guarded by two robotic Grim Reapers who will kill any necropheliacs who break into my house so I can steal their flesh and make a skin suit to cover up my metallic robot exterior and process their organs and feed them to the homeless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 firebird

I'd like my body to go to a medical school - where, I'm not especially fussy, tho probably Trinity... I think I'd like it to be cremated once they're done with it - the idea of burying it when its been all cut up and poked and prodded just doesn't really appeal =)
    As for remembering me - I'd want people to have fun - throw a party, stay up all night watching Monty Python, choose somewhere random and go spend a day there, just do something fun =)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I want to be publicly cremated. On a huge bonfire in town or somewhere everyone will see it. And a great band of the time to play heavy metal for 24 hours in tribute to my acheivements in the field.

While we're on this morbid topic, a good friend of mine went through a phase where he was so afraid of death he was suicidal. He just wanted to get it over with! Makes you think, huh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I'd like my body to go to a medical school

Don't suppose you're familiar with billy connelly?

Coz there were some pretty good reasons not to give your body to science. Mostly to do with the kind of things that happen. I probably shouldn't go into it in detail here, as it should be kept somewhat child friendly. But i wudnt advise it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭s0l

Screw worrying about garog, I'm worried about Barry!

but yeah, I want to be remembered because I died 'On the job'

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Squeee

As long as I don't die naked I'll be just fine!!!! I've always been terrified of dying naked, and I don't know why, perhaps it had something to do with my birth......I came here naked, I don't wanna leave naked, people might begin to think I'm some sort of communist!.
    I wouldn't mind being cremated.....I mostly just want them to dispose of all the evidence. I don't like the idea of being buried coz chances are they'll change your clothes so you look nice (you just know that you're gonna be wearing a barney costume when you pass, and not you're pretties dress). That means that once again they'll have me naked when I'm dead. I can't help it, I just REALLY dislike the idea of being dead and naked. One or the other!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Havelock

Aoife: Anything I say about that would be first edited by Neil and then told to Jenny who would carve it into my brain. So I shall refain until I see you!:D

Nano-technological Blood. Immortality all the way!

But in the eventuality I don't get that, cremation and scattering in space.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Aliminator

no, ya muppet.
    immortality comes about when we unlock how to stop the (i forget this term) 'gene allower' breaking down. each time ur DNA replicates, the 'gene allower' loses a bit. until, by hte time ur and old fogie, u've a few left, and then none. when u've none, u die of natural causes.

Death is unimportant. what u do in THIS life is important for those around.
    what does a statue of some famous guy do for you? nada.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭stevanavich

when i die i want to be the vessel for a computer, so that it can be more human, possess the abilty to move and fight with phsical prowess, a super hybrid of such immeasureable magnitude that .....

i'll stop now. basically, the helios ending of deus ex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Zukustious

Originally posted by stevanavich
    when i die i want to be the vessel for a computer, so that it can be more human, possess the abilty to move and fight with phsical prowess, a super hybrid of such immeasureable magnitude that .....

Wouldn't the corpse begin to rot. Pieces would be falling about the place. An arm might just drop of your torso and so on. You'd be kind of like a zombie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

Originally posted by Zukustious
    Wouldn't the corpse begin to rot. Pieces would be falling about the place. An arm might just drop of your torso and so on. You'd be kind of like a zombie.
    We'd be forced to gun you down on a regular basis. I'll start stocking up on shotgun ammo, then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mentalimplosion

on top of a pile of money, with many beautiful ladies.

hehe, sorry i thought that sounded cute. seriously, i don't think there's enough choice in this sector. like, c'mon, burnt or buried or cut into little pieces. ew.
    i'd kinda like to be stuffed. and put in a museum. with clothes on though. the clothes must be involved.

actually, now i think about it, i'd kinda like the money and the beautiful ladies.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭larry

would those beautiful ladies be alive or dead?

either wau it's pretty sick, on one hand you have live women stroking a dead body, on the onther you have a disturbing realisation of a sick fantasy.... plus Barry would probably have pictures of the whole thing.....

i personally would take the being cut up into pieces option, i mean, i would be dead, i won't be using my body.
    if my death can benifit other people in some small way than why not.

I have a strange feeling mankind will never see an age where we have the technology to prevent death, if that's even physically possible. I'm thinking mankind has an excellent chance of being wiped out in the next few decades. Most probably all of us will be here when the world ends, or not... now that I think about it, we'll never realise the world has ended! Sweet blackouts.....

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Squeee

See....now that's why I smoke! I don't wanna see the world end (well, I do, but I don't want lava) as I think it will involve molten lava and you'll all be burned horribly. I'll die painlessly hacking up my own lungs....oh. But what if the end is not nigh you ask? Well then I'll have enjoyed a good smoke-filled life where I alsways smelled like smoke and never had money to leave anyone. Yeah....:p

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭purplepolkadot

well, this guy i was a bartending told me that you can donate all your blood in a similar way to donating your organs, so if possible, if they catch me before i die, i want to donate all my blood and all the oul' organs.
    and if science still want my body after that (and let's face it, who wouldn't?) they can have it.
    and if science don't want my body, or after they have it, or what have you, i want to be cremated. cos i don't want a grave. cos i don't want my family visiting my grave. and i don't want a little cremation plaque thing or nothing. and i figure, that'll mean my family won't have to spend money on a funeral/remembrance service malarkey, so they can all go and have a nice dinner instead. and not right after i die, cos that's too much like going for the dinner after the funeral.
    yeah, that's how it's going.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

The more i think about it, besides the cremating yokey and the depositing of my ashes somewhere special to me (down the west i'd say....or else somewhere near where i grew up) the only thing i want is for my friends and family, those closest to me, to be able to sit down and think of me and feel that i at least made a difference of some sort for the better in their lives.

Pretty good idea.... I'm still going to be burned in public though!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Spenguin

I think the best way to die would be to jump of a cliff just seconds before you're due to die. fun fun fun. it would be FUN!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 John1188

Originally posted by It wasn't me!
    I have a strange feeling mankind will never see an age where we have the technology to prevent death, if that's even physically possible.

it is actually possible to live for ever, all you have to do is not eat, ever. If you do this you can forseeablly (sp?) live forever or at least a few hundred years, the only obstacle is the fact that prolonged periods without food generally result in death

Advertisement