Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corrupt Compact Flash card

• 04-10-2003 11:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

I purchased a 512Mb CF card for my Axim in the US last week, problem is, it appears to be corrupted.

It's the usual story, it worked fine for a few days, but then a folder and a file with unusual characters on the card appeared that I could not delete. I then downloaded FlashFormat to format the card.

Now, any songs I put on it skip, suggesting there still is a problem with the card.

Any ideas what I can try next? I won't be in the US for a while, so returning it is out of the question.

Thanks,

TD.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭raphaelS

Have you try to format the card with a digital camera or a PC?
    You might need to check what FAT you are using (12, 16, 32,..), this might mess up with filenames.

I always format my CF in my digital Camera (never on the PC) and I never had any problem... don't know if it's due to the formating though...!

Raphael

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Originally posted by raphaelS
    Have you try to format the card with a digital camera or a PC?
    You might need to check what FAT you are using (12, 16, 32,..), this might mess up with filenames.

I don't have any other devices - though I am now thinking of buying one of those 6-in-1 readers.

I tried the recommended FAT settings (recommended by the formatting software). I also tried the other FAT types, still the same. I am on to Sandisk technical support, I will have to see what they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 DaveK

I don't know if this has any relevance to your problem, but there appears to be a compatibility problem between the Axim X5 and the drivers for Sandisk's Wi-Fi CF card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Originally posted by tom dunne
    but then a folder and a file with unusual characters on the card appeared that I could not delete

that can happen - temp / system files can be written to the card by the Pocket PC (it is a Windows based OS ;)) - they can be set to read only if they are being used by the Pocket PC at the time

definatley go and get a USB reader/writer - and preferably USB 2.0 if you can (if you have USB 2.0 on your machine) - the time alone you save transferring files compared to through the cradle (via active sync) is worth far more than the reader costs

i use a multi type San Disk USB 2.0 one here - picked it up for around $30 - althogh seen less capable versions for more than double that in the likes of Compustore (so shop around)

there are firewire verisions available also - but they are aimed more at the prof. photographer using 1GB+ cards

be careful formatting it on a PC - particulalry the FAT type you select - depending which one you select can make it unusable in some equipment

hth,
    BrianG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Sandisk have agreed to replace the card - fair play to them. They told me to return it to the shop I bought it from but when I pointed out that I bought it in the US and I live in Europe, they said no problem, we will replace it for you.

Now that's customer support. I have to say I am very impressed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement