Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance companies cannot refuse a quote based on your age anymore!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Hardly make much difference as all they've to do is give you a mental quote! :rolleyes:

My insurance with Quinn is under €1300 but my quote from AXA (I'm 27 btw) was €2600!! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Theoritically they never could. I think the law used to be that the third insurance company you approached had to give you a quote, no matter what. Of course there never was anything stoping them quoting €10,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Blitzkrieger
    Theoritically they never could. I think the law used to be that the third insurance company you approached had to give you a quote, no matter what. Of course there never was anything stoping them quoting €10,000.
    They could, however there was some organisation where you could appeal and they would nominate a company (selected by rotation) that had to give you a quote, but as you say that quote may be....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

The gist of the Irish Times report is that the insurance companies are not able to discriminate on age only and refuse a driver cover, that they must quote, but that they can load the premium based on sound actuarial data - and apparently RSA's data was bogey.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Refuse to answer any marital status question put to you, also illegal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement