Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underrated Bands

Options
  • 04-10-2003 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭

There are a good few underrated bands e.g. The Charlatans saw them in The Ambassodor they were excellent, Idelwild superb too and The Mull Historical Society have a good few songs second album not so hot though. Even New Order wouldn't be as popular here in comparison to The UK saw them and The Chilis in Lansdowne a great night.
    A good few people I know still like The Sterephonics even though their third album was IMO absolutue muck.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

Originally posted by smuckers
    There are a good few underrated bands e.g. The Charlatans saw them in The Ambassodor they were excellent, Idelwild superb too and The Mull Historical Society have a good few songs second album not so hot though. Even New Order wouldn't be as popular here in comparison to The UK saw them and The Chilis in Lansdowne a great night.
    A good few people I know still like The Sterephonics even though their third album was IMO absolutue muck.:)

Yeah Charlatans just kinda got stuck with that '2nd rate Stone Roses' tag. Unfortunate!

Also Stereophonics -one of the best debut albums and then just unlistenable, bland crap ever since!

Most underrated IMO is new albums from Snow Patrol and Athlete -Both beat Cold Play at their own game! GO AND BUY BOTH CDS NOW!

Melaton are also vastly underrated but very quiet of late

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 cornell babe

im sorry but there is a guy who is a genius and as usual noone cares....

ben folds...

hes on his own now after the band ben folds five..

they were so original and not only was their actual music brill but their lyrics meant so much

(weary sigh...)

and they were ableto capture the highs as well as the downright lows

and does anyone else seem to think that they hex bands

its like just when im really getting into a band the next thing i hear is theyre gonna split up

im gonna have to go supprt u2

;)

Originally posted by cornell babe
    im sorry but there is a guy who is a genius and as usual noone cares....

ben folds...

yeah actually that 'annie waits' and 'rockin the suburbs' stuff is good!

"...and some producer with computers fixes all my sh*tty tracks!"

marvellous indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Babe, yea I saw on one of Ben Folds songs on believe it or not The Larry Sanders Show and I was impressed.
    to an extent The Cure on this side back in the 80's didn't really get the recognition here Lovecats is a great song.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭IgnatiusJRiley

The Proclaimers. Saw them in the Olympia not really knowing any of their songs (apart from the obvious one!) and came out thinking they were brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

2 bands

snow patrol
    www.snowpatrol.net

bellx1
    www.bellx1.com

Originally posted by polarbelly
    2 bands

snow patrol
    www.snowpatrol.net

bellx1
    www.bellx1.com

I like your style ha ha!

I was just thinkin at the gig in tbmc on sunday, the first time i was ever in that place was when i was a bout 16 to see Juniper with a certain Mr. Rice (then Dodi ma) up front and Paul Noonan somewhere at the back playing drums he he!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by smuckers
    Even New Order wouldn't be as popular here in comparison to The UK saw them and The Chilis in Lansdowne a great night.

Over all that was a s*** gig. New Order were booed by part of the crowd, most of the people there were teenagers who probably never heard the name New Order never mind their music or past.

It was the same this year at Slane, but not to the same extent, although I can understand people only going to a concert to see one band/act, but I really don’t like people who aren’t open to new things or people set them self to only like one kind of music. Well liking one kind of music is fine; however, when it gets to the stage of all other music is rubbish I have to worry. Sorry about the rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Rival Schools

THE most under-rated band ever! Kerrang used to take the piss out of the lead singer, Walter Schneiffels, habit of wearing St. Bernard-style knitwear jumpers. Great music though.

Mansun were underrated too. Shame they're split now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Rival Schools are indeed class united by fate was a class album any word on new stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Arcturus.

Probably one of the most original bands out there, but nobody seems to give a crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Monument that gig wasn't even promoted well I remember there were complaints. They aren't big yet but could become big an Irish band called The Agentz a mixture of early Greenday and Nirvanna, saw them in Eamon Dorans 2 weeks back v good.

I feel boxcar racer should get a small mention

-the more serious/raw/anxty/experimental guise of blink 182

Originally posted by ShriekingSheet
    I feel boxcar racer should get a small mention

-the more serious/raw/anxty/experimental guise of blink 182

i could stand to be corrected on this but theyre not bad

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Everything Frank Black has done since pixies is quite undera-rated :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Incubus-I regard them as one of the worlds great bands

Linkin park-very underrated as lyricists and sound engineers.

Rival skools-Ingenius

Finch-What it is to burn is arguably the best album of the last two years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭ella minnow pea

definatly snow patrol are brilliant...dam now people will start going to see them, they'll become popular and start puutting out crap music...em i mean they're crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Duritz

Counting Crows - they sold out the point in january, played to 12,000 in killarney earlier in the year too. I am ashamed tyo say i like them after getting such success with Big Yellow Taxi tho! Their debut single "Mr Jones" is one of those songs u dont know that u know. Their "Best Of" CD is out late november. ITs called "Films about Ghosts".

Their songs are excellent. Each album, they change their sound...but somehow still sounds like Counting Crows. Their live performances are breathtaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

The finch album is far too sugary though. its sounds like ****ing pop punk in some places even though the band can tear it up. Raging Speedhorn are one of my picks for most underated metal bands of the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Originally posted by AngelofFire
    Linkin park-very underrated as lyricists and sound engineers.

Highly over-rated as a band though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,313 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I'd have to say that Gomez have never really gotten the credit they deserve. Saw them in the Ambassador earlier this year and it was an excellent gig (spoiled only by the bunch of student w*nkers beside me who wanted one particular song played and kept asking everyone around them to shout out that song title too in the vain hope that the band would pay them any notice. Come the revolution students are first up against the wall. Well OK, maybe second after taxi drivers...)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Echobrain's debut album was pretty bloody good. Some catchy tunes but nobody talks about them.

Advertisement