Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anytime - Connection Speed 38,666?

Options
  • 04-10-2003 3:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Can anyone explain why I am connected at 38,666 and not the normal 56k. I reaise that I will never download at this speed but when I watch the download rate it rarely goes above 4000 bytes ps? All advise on this is welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

right now i am connected at 14,400 bps. sometimes i get 16,800 bps. the other night i got 19200 bps, a record for 2003 :( all Eircoms fault with their splitters

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

i'd like to be able to connect full stop, been 'busy' for a whole day now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 leejon

Ah well, mabey I should accept what I've got then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

thats about normal, you could try getting a good quality intel v92 modem and try utvip

they connect me at 115kbps

• Registered Users Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by tlachta
    thats about normal, you could try getting a good quality intel v92 modem and try utvip

they connect me at 115kbps
    That's only the port speed being reported, it's impossible to connect at that speed on a 56k modem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by leejon
    Can anyone explain why I am connected at 38,666 and not the normal 56k. I reaise that I will never download at this speed but when I watch the download rate it rarely goes above 4000 bytes ps? All advise on this is welcome.

Thats at the low end of the range for v90 connections-however it is a v90 connection so I very much doubt there is a pair gain on your line. Do the usual checks on your internal wiring-ie length of cables, loose connections etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 leejon

Cheers, tried main Eircom socket in the house and found higher connection and faster download. The cheap box I installed to prewired copper (not an extension) must have a ****ty socket. Will fit a new one and see how I get on.

Advertisement