Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom cap

Options
  • 04-10-2003 4:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Has anybody heard anything about Eircom increasing their miserable 4gig cap. Most other counter-parts have an 8 gig cap, and if Eircom aren't planning on staying on par with these providers, then i pretty much screwed, due to the 12 month contract.

Somebody, please shed light on my day, and tell me Eircom are increasing this cap.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Da Man

You may find this interesting. I signed up over the phone for i-stream. I was to my knowledge never told about a 12 month minimum contract. I noticed a mention of a 12 month contract on a forum so I called up and wondered if I could just cancel the service because with these new deals on the market, I can obviously change provider FOC. No, there's a 12-month contract I was told. Ok, but I was never informed of that. Yes, you were. No, I wasn't. And I can't see how you could enforce that contract. And... the guy acknowledged that they have no way of enforcing it. In the end, I didn't bother changing because the cap doesn't bother me but if it does or they don't increase it, then I will drop them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭P3nfold

Yeah totally understandable. As far as I know, the only way you can cease a contract is by actually buying out the contract -- in which you would pay off the payments of the contract.

The only reason why i asked about the cap increase is because most other ISP's have increased it and made the standard cap to 8 gigs. I assumed Eircom would do the same to keep up with the competition.

The only reason why i got Eircom broadband in the first place is because, it was all i could avail of. I always assumed the cap would increase after the user-base increased, but if it does not, i will be highly pissed as i used to take down more than 4 gigs a month on narrowband.

Anyways, if anybody hears of Eircom increasing their cap, let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

The only reason why i got Eircom broadband in the first place is because, it was all i could avail of

Can you elaborate on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by P3nfold
    Yeah totally understandable. As far as I know, the only way you can cease a contract is by actually buying out the contract -- in which you would pay off the payments of the contract.
    Eircoms most recent Pending Changes document includes this:
    5. Customers availing of this promotion who disconnect the service within twelve months of connecting will incur a charge of €123.97 (ex. VAT). This disconnection charge replaces any other
    disconnection charges contained in the standard eircom i-stream DSLIP (Starter) Terms and Conditions
    7. Customers that disconnect the service within twelve months of connecting are obliged to return the modem to eircom within 14 days of notifying eircom of the cessation. Failure to return the modem within 14 days will result in a charge of €120 (ex. VAT) being incurred by the customer.
    It's not exactly clear whether this €150 "disconnection fee" is in addition to your remaining 12 months rental, or instead of. And I'm not sure how they can charge you €120 for a "free modem", but I haven't seen how they worded the contract that awards the "free modem" in the first place.

Originally posted by Eurorunner
    Can you elaborate on this?

No other ISP's supplying broadband in my area at that time?

And thank you Ripwave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

5. Customers availing of this promotion who disconnect the service within twelve months of connecting will incur a charge of €123.97 (ex. VAT). This disconnection charge replaces any other disconnection charges contained in the standard eircom i-stream DSLIP (Starter) Terms and Conditions
    This is instead of paying 6 months rental.

Did you check out the resellers ie. Netsource & UTV?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,334 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Did you check out the resellers ie. Netsource & UTV?
    He said in the OP that he's stuck with a 12 month contract.

Yes Frank, I read the OP:D . He also said that Eircom was his ONLY option. I'm just curious as to whether P3nfold

a). Wasnt aware that he could have placed his order with a reseller.

0r

b). Was aware of the resellers but for some reason they werent set up to provide the service at the time on his exchange whilst eircom were ( and if so, why).

Which one was it P3nfold:) ?

He also said in another post:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by Frank_Grimes
    He also said in another post: No other ISP's supplying broadband in my area at that time?

Which is incorrect, as UTV/IOL and Netsource are 100% available at all the same places as eircom. They are simply reslling EircomBB

Which is why people are curious why he thought he couldn't get DSL from them.

It's possible he's on ADSL, i.e. he signed up before Eircom released the RADSL product and the others started reselling it.

Frank: What BK's saying above is where im coming from ok?

now, is that ok with you then franko:rolleyes:

Edit*
    It's possible he's on ADSL, i.e. he signed up before Eircom released the RADSL product and the others started reselling it.
    ffs, frank - yes, its possible - but neither of us know - maybe you could wait for him to come back and confirm..

now, is that ok with you then franko:rolleyes:
    I don't have a problem with what you're saying, I'm just pointing out that:

a. he answered your previous questions already.

and

b. it's possible he signed up before IOL/UTV/NS were reselling RADSL.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by Frank_Grimes
    I don't have a problem with what you're saying, I'm just pointing out that:

a. he answered your previous questions already.

and

b. it's possible he signed up before IOL/UTV/NS were reselling RADSL.

IOL/UTV/NS started reselling RADSL almost at the same time as Eircom, Eircom had to announce the wholesale product one month before the launch of Eircoms actual retail product, thus giving the other companies time to develop a product based on it. You could sign up for all of them from almost day one, it just took a bit longer to get connected with IOL/UTV then with Eircom/NS (probably because they where new to it while NS had already been reselling Eircom ADSL).

And like I said, he might not be on RADSL.
    Maybe we should just wait for P3nfold to post again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 elsoldemayo

Originally posted by bk
    Which is incorrect, as UTV/IOL and Netsource are 100% available at all the same places as eircom. They are simply reslling EircomBB

Which is why people are curious why he thought he couldn't get DSL from them.

I found when UTV BB was first available, whenever i checked the availability checker it said BB was not available in my area (Leixlip), but when i checked the Eircom site, dsl was available.
    At the time the UTV checker only asked for a phone number. I contacted UTV and they said they did not know why it was unavailable.
    Then recently the UTV checker started asking for my Eircom a/c number (the Eircom checker always asked for this). First time I ran the Clicksilver availability checker including my a/c no. it passed no problem.
    I ordered, they asked if I minded waiting 3 days to avail of the new offer. Fine by me and within 4 working days my line was enabled, modem delivered and everything running fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Dac51

Just to back up what P3nfold said:

When my local exchange was upgraded, I ran the availability checker on the Eircom/IOL/UTV websites (don't know if you can check on-line with Netsource).

Anyhow my line passed with Eircom, but the IOL and UTV websites told me that BB was not available in my area! Looks like Eircom probably give themselves a head start before the competition gets a change to offer their BB service.

Before, when you just put your number into the UTV checker, they just checked if your line was on an upgraded exchange.
    However this info was probably only updated with the latest exchange info from eircom by the UTV webmaster every so often. So they could be a long time before the UTV checker caught up. However if you had bothered to actually ring them, then they probably would have done a proper check.

Now they seem to ask for both your Phone Number and Account Number, like Eircom, so prehaps it is tied in with the real Eircom system now.

Forgive my belated response.

Firstly, I contacted esatbt/iol. When I ordered broadband, the dslam wasn't in place, but I ordered in good faith as they were in the process of doing so.

On numerous calls, everybody I spoke to was partially ignorant when I asked about adsl, and barely knew anything about it or the reselling of it.

So I attempted to order i-stream, and it came back that the dslam would be put in place. I then called back to the esat team, and they still knew nothing about it -- so at the time of ordering, my "only" option, was in fact, Eircom.

• Advertisement
Advertisement