Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Memory Error Problem

Options
  • 04-10-2003 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭

When I start up my father's PC three error boxes pop up with an Error saying "Memory access violation in module kernal32 at 3118:77823122". The numbers are different each time.

Does this mean that he has bad memory or is there something that I can run to fix it?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

IMHO It's usually a result of poor programming / testing some thing is trying to access memory that it's not supposed to. (or something)

kernel32 is one of the core windows files - if you have 95/98/me then when an app crashes it will hit that on the way down (or gdi.exe or user.exe or system32.exe ) so it's very generic.

you could look up www.technet.com to get some clues

To rule out memory
    run memory checking program - might be an extended check in the Bios or on the manu's website.

try start in safe mode / vga mode and see what junk autoruns on the system - installed anything recetnly ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Better run a virus check, memory access violation messages were part of the w32.SWEN virus.

download stinger from the link below:

http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

restart in safe mode (shut down pc completely, restart, AS the pc starts up press the F8 key approx once every second, select safemode from the text menu that comes up.

double click on stinger to run it.

If it finds the swen virus, it will clean it for you, but you should really restart your PC in normal mode (just restart) and run stinger again to make sure it's gone completely.

If it doesnt find a virus, then follow captain midnight's suggestion.

Advertisement