Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to access Internet from networked pc

Options
  • 04-10-2003 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

I have access to a networked pc running Windows NT where i work. However, access to the internet is blocked.

Is there any way i can investigate getting around this restriction?

If so, any pointers or links would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

you usually need to know the proxy setting in internet explorer

start
    settings
    control panel
    internet options
    connections
    lan settings
    proxy server box

find a pc that has the net, ie your supervisors, note down the proxy name and port,copy to your own pc should be okay to go.

also complain a lot,and pretend you need it for something or other, make it up

best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 chucky_cheese

thank you tlachta. I will give that a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ssh

Having been stuck in similar situations before, there's a fairly clear methodology for finding such things.

There's two broad ways of getting internet access via another machine, IP level routing (including nat) and proxy based forwarding.

IP level routing is the ideal, because it works for everything. Proxy based forwarding will work for web, and if you are lucky anything that'll take socks too.

Both of these techniques imply that someone on the internet enabled computer has set up and made the required changes to them... without that, you are screwed. (short of making them yourself, which I don't recommend)

Anyways, you'd be amazed at the number of lazy admins who leave much of their security down to obscurity. First, check your IP address, and check how it is assigned to you. (type ipconfig in cmd.exe)

Check to see if you have a default gateway (using the route command). If not, try setting the default gateway to the first IP in your block (ie, if your IP is 10.0.0.10, try 10.0.0.1). If you know the IP of the internetted PC, try its IP address. Try telnetting into ports 1080, 8080, 3128 etc. on this PC to see if there are any proxies running.

Basically, sniff around. Don't go doing something brute force, you'll get caught!

Advertisement