Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MP3 Tag Editor

• 04-10-2003 10:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭

Does anyone recommend a particular MP3 tag editor, for mass tag editting?

Instead of going into Winamp's 'File Info' and editing information for each file individually, I'm looking for a way to edit a load in one go, e.g. mass edit a few hundred MP3 files to be listed as Pop or Rock category. That kind of thing.

I know of 4-MP3, MP3 Manager & Audio Tag but I'm interested in other people's experience of programs.

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

ehm, have you tried the library in winamp 2.91???
    get all of your media in the library (click "library" in the bottom left & then "add to library")
    now sort your music by genre, select the ones you want (shift+click is the best way)
    then right click & choose "edit item(s) information"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Mp3 Tag Tools
    msTagger
    TagScanner

any of these will be fine!

but why do you use tags? i usually delete tags, and sort files(mp3s) looks good in a folder, easier to find, and the name appears in Winamp the same as in folder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

DaPyx mp3 explorer is good for this too, aswell as being a great music database.

Originally posted by CyberGhost
    but why do you use tags? i usually delete tags, and sort files(mp3s) looks good in a folder, easier to find, and the name appears in Winamp the same as in folder
    because then you won't be able to arrange by track/year/genre/album...

and all of my mp3's ripped from albums are named <track> - <title>
    it'd look rather pants if you stuck them in winamp without tags.

finding mp3's is much easier if you use winamps library search function as well

ahh, now that makes sence, well i sort them only by name, and i have batch file renamer so for me they don't matter, i use tag tools, to batch delete the tags

• Advertisement

btw, just in case someone will need to remove tags there is an application called ID3Kill, that does the job of removing all the tags, it's stand alone exe so doesn't need to be installed, pretty cool app!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Tag & Rename. Best by a loooonnnnnng way. Site here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭acid

Mp3/Tag Studio is the best I've seen.

http://www.magnusbrading.com/mp3ts/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

but why do you use tags?

I would advise that tags are always left intact. If you ever decide to buy something like the Creative Jukebox your life will be hell without tags. These gizmos work from the tags.

yeah but you can always tag them after the file name later

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭eggshapedfred

i quite liked the Supertag feature in MusicMatch. you can highlight a load of tracks and change whatever info all at once. its not freeware though, so you're probably better off using one of the other progs mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Originally posted by CyberGhost
    Mp3 Tag Tools

Agreed. Thats the one I use. Tis excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

yeah but you can always tag them after the file name later

Yes but that only lets you play stuff by filename. I often use the jukebox to play by artist, album or, the odd time, genre. Delete the tags and you're banjaxed.

Why delete them anyway? Seems like a complete waste of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I use Winamp 2.78, I've found it to be the most reliable version to use, so I haven't seen this library function in v2.91 yet.

Cyberghost, I like to able to arrange tunes in various ways, also it's nice to have the info stored in the mp3.

I'm sorted now, thanks! :)

Originally posted by Fidelis
    Thanks for all the suggestions!

I use Winamp 2.78, I've found it to be the most reliable version to use, so I haven't seen this library function in v2.91 yet.
    :eek:
    seriously, 2.91, stat!

i can't imagine life without the library after using it for half a year...
    it can be unstable at times tho:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

Originally posted by Moriarty
    Tag & Rename. Best by a loooonnnnnng way. Site here.

Advertisement