Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Filthy Flatmates!!!

• 04-10-2003 11:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭

I'm sharing an apartment with 4 people, 2 guys and 2 girls. I get on ok with them, but not great, spending more time out with friends than in the flat. Problem is whenever I'm in the flat I can't help but be pre-occupied with the state of the place! Floors need sweeping, dishes need washing and drying, glasses are left on tables/counters/floor and in general, it's a mess. To make things worse, they have started collecting used bottles/cans in the corner of the room!

I for one am sick of it. On Monday I plan on marching into the flat and giving them a lecture on tidyness. I don't care if they don't like me after it -I want the place clean.

So now I have 2 questions for you.

1) Am I confronting them the right way?
    2) What do I propose to tackle the situation?

I know I can't lecture them without having some follow-up solutions. What I intend to mention include a cleaning rota, a kitty for buying food. Anything else I need?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Terminator

In my experience its always best to let the landlord lay down the law. Next time you're talking to him/her discreetly mention that the place is turning into a kip.

I'm assuming, of course, that you're not the landlord :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 sinclair

If you cant beat em, join em! thats my attitude.

You sound like some of the peeps I went on holiday with last summer...Whaa Whaaa Whaaa clean this, clean your puke off the ground etc etc it smells whaa...

Even they were up for building a beeramid though. I'd assume you don't drink OR party, which would explain your anger towards people who actually care about better things than if a floor is sweeped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Clean up after yourself and leave it at that. Noone will complain that your are a messer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

yeh just clean up after yourself,
    lead by example and all that.

make them feel self concious, start saying things like
    "what the **** is that smell???"

if you're still annoyed with them just say it to them, might be awkward but its the easiest in the long run

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Shane

Eh, I'm no peep! I happen to enjoy a great social life which includes alcohol and despite what you may think am very easy to get on with! What does piss me off is coming back after a weekend at home to find a sink full of dishes, with the stains dried in. I'm paying exactly what they are and have a right to live in SANITARY conditions. I don't expect them to clean everyday or turn into the next kim's & aggie's, but just don't leave the place like an absolute kip. If that's your thing, I hope you enjoy!
    clean your puke off the ground etc etc it smells whaa...

You're so cool...

BTW: The landlord has announced he will be visiting tomorrow, and screw them, I'm not lifting a finger!

hahaha I hope they all blame you - I know I would! hahaha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

nothing much you can do.

just say it to them, if they don't respond (which is more than likely what will happen) then the only way to do things is hide plates and cups for yourself and clean em after you use em.
    just hide in your room too.

know how ya feel :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Agent7249

Could always keep a section of hte flat to yerself, barb wire it, section it off, put up outposts,and set vicious guard dogs to mind it. Then all you need to do is travel by convy to the front door :f33r:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I lived with a guy once who would take my frozen food out of the freezer to put his in...

he got balled out for that one..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

that would drive me mad there is no way i can relax in a really messy house! it pisses me of just thinking about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,103 ✭✭✭mada999

There's only 1 way to sort these mups out. Píss in the kettle and leave the flat 4 a few hours. They'll get the picture . . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

Originally posted by mada999
    There's only 1 way to sort these mups out. Píss in the kettle and leave the flat 4 a few hours. They'll get the picture . . . .

I'll remember that one the next time you don't clean the grillpan after half filling it with grease with those cheap aldi susages mada! :f33r:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

Don't stand for that kind of crap. Other people have said that if you just clean up after yourself they should follow by example but I know from experience that it doesn't usually work that way. You shouldn't have to live in other peoples mess so confront them and ask them to clean up their mess when they make it. And don't contact your landlord about it until you have no choice cos the atmosphere will be awful with your flatmates, better to try sort it out among yoursleves.
    Hope you can get it sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Originally posted by Kalina
    And don't contact your landlord about it until you have no choice cos the atmosphere will be awful with your flatmates, better to try sort it out among yoursleves.
    I think the idea with the landlord was that it would be discreet, the landlord wouldn't tell the others that Shane has said anything, but would just notice the state of the place during a routine visit. The advantage here is that the instruction to clean the place up comes from a third party and so no hard feeling towards Shane. (It's also more likely to have an effect.)

TBH, I have lived with filthy people before, (and I'm not a mega-clean type myself, I mean *really* filthy) and in my experience they don't tend to change their ways. I remember the things myself and the other flatmate did to try to get this guy to clean up, nothing worked.

If you are confronting them, go gentle and you'll get a better result through persuasion than reading the riot act at them. Constructive suggestions such clean up after yourself and a rota are a good idea, just don't go overboard. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

students are (generally) fithy dirtbags most of the time anyway so youll just have to live with it or mpve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

I've lived in a couple of student houses like that meself, I have basically come to the conclusion that if yer living with messy students, there's no way yer gonna change that if you're in the minority. Only way to get around the problem is by a) accepting the mess and trying to ignore it as best as u can b) moving out into a house which u know some of the individuals and know u'll be more at ease and place will be tidier.

As for the landlord idea, majority of landlords for student houses which I have ever had do not give a $hite what state the house is in, as long as they get their rent money and are often absentee landlords - rent is lodged to their account etc..

I once lived in this gaff in Limerick, one night one of the lads got back sloshed and took a slash in the grill. Next day, I was putting rashers in the grill for breakfast, luckily one of the others mentioned the incident from the previous night!

jAH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 933 ✭✭✭mooman_00

In the same boat shane, except that my housemates are my mates so i tell them to go fuk themselves and such like when they give out to me for being a clean freak*. Man and i thought girls are usually fairly good to keep things neet and tidy(not a sexist remark) but not the ones in my house.

My advise take one of everything that you need from the kitchen, plate fork knife etc and everything you own and keep them clean and safe in your room and hope that your housemates die of botchulism. Filthy people deserve to die so says god .

*one who actually cleans or tidy's anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Originally posted by utility_
    hahaha I hope they all blame you - I know I would! hahaha

:rolleyes:

There is a slight advantage to cleanign your puke off the floor of you gaff and having it at least reasonably tidy/ If a place is full of **** and smells like it too your hardly gonna say to a girl "come back to my place?"

Think with your cock not with your head :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

This is why I live by myself. I'm "messy", not "filthy"but if I want to leave my washing up for a month it doesn't affect anyone else. OK I don't leave the dirty dishes for more than a day because it bothers me when I can't have a quick rasher but well, I could if I wanted to.

Keep in mind I'm 28. I've passed the stage you hip kids are at now.

Rota, sounds good.

Kitty, sounds good.

Ranting at them, sounds good

Informing on your housemates to your landlord, sounds good. Make sure they don't know it was you.

Putting dirty dishes and saucepans in your dirty housemate's bed, sounds good (I've done this, makes the point rather well. You'd need the whole house pissed at one person though, see next idea)

Putting up little posters around college saying what dirty people you're living with, sounds good (actually, I've kind of done this but it was six of us complaining about one other chap including one who had to share a room with this filthy type so that's OK)

I'm quite easy to live with, honest:D

Some of the above are rather OTT (despite the fact that I've done them all except inform on filthy people to the landlord (I prefer vigilanteeism:D)) so you can pick and choose. The problem with a few people (are you in first year) is that they've no idea whatever of where dirty dishes go when mammy disappears for a wee while.

You'll probably have to live with the used cans. I think it's dumb myself but we've all done it in the past. Like stealing traffic cones. Seems to smart when you're 18, seems silly when you're 28 and driving a car past holes in the road that aren't marked by cones any more because some hoor has decorated his living room with them. Now that I'm 28, if I had to share a house with people who like stacking empty cans of cheap piss, I'd suggest that the cans at least be washed out so they don't smell but you probably don't want to get laughed out of it:D

I sound like a lot of fun, don't I:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Originally posted by Winters

Think with your cock not with your head :)

Never a truer word said!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

Originally posted by mooman_00
    Man and i thought girls are usually fairly good to keep things neet and tidy(not a sexist remark) but not the ones in my house.

[/SIZE]

years ago the were good for doing a bit of scrubbing :) in my opinion girls are getting lazier and lazier. bird in my house, once she cleaned the dishes. that was the first day. Hasnt done a thing since that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭embraer170

Man and i thought girls are usually fairly good to keep things neet and tidy(not a sexist remark) but not the ones in my house.

Yeah well I share a place with two girls and I'm already worried about the state I'll find the place in tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

a good tactic is to constantly bombard the filthy buggers with snide remarks,although that requires a few people to help you do.
    i suggest the bart and lisa tactic off the simpsons,nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag.

its unbelievable how lazy some people are,like a housemate of mine was up in plenty of time for college one day,was about to have his cornflakes and then cos there was no clean spoons decieded too pass.....wat a way to start the day/prove your a lazy good for nothing bastard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

could be worse. i lived in a flat with 20 other students in germany for 6 months.

we were all sharing the kitchen and as you can imagine the dirty plates used to pile up.

one time someone left a plate out with food on it and it was left there for a few weeks. next thing someone noticed that maggots had started growing and were all over the plate. nasty....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

i know this mite sound very sad that i have lowered myself to "brag" about such feats but on friday nite i was so bored/broke and alone that i washed every piece of crockery in the house except 1fork......please somebody,rescue me from this excistance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by gucci
    please somebody,rescue me from this excistance!
    Not till you explain why you didn't wash the one fork.:D

Advertisement