Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interview with David McRedmond (eircom)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Take that Eircom

AW: A vocal minority of people are annoyed because their phone lines fail DSL line tests. Is that a problem and what is its scale?

DM: It's a very real issue, but less than we thought it was going to be.The number of lines that pre-qualify for DSL is higher than we expected, somewhere around the 80 per cent rate,where we have enabled the local exchange. In looking at this issue, though, part of our focus is that we're the ones who have to invest in upgrading and servicing the network.We spend a lot of money doing that - about €150 million each year.

We're certainly looking at how to improve the percentage further.

Two things should help. First, if equipment prices continue to fall and second, improvements in the technology.

Shin Silently smiling to himself, still eircom away with the fairies but at least someone asked the question

WELL DONE ADRIAN

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

AW: Some of the more technically literate broadband users claim that the download cap of 4GB per month is poor. Do you think it's too small?
    DM: I couldn't answer that, I'd have to refer it to a technical expert. But certainly we haven't had any significant level of complaints about it. However, it's an issue we'd always be looking at.

Man, has he even used a computer?? We've got to start complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

The bit I enjoyed was the Editors comments...very amusing and to the point

Oops caught spinning again...

AW: Many people would say that the biggest factor has been that the cost of DSL has been too high. What is your response to that?

DM: We recently launched a major new DSL package. One of the options is a reduced rental fee of €35 (plus Vat - Ed) instead of waiving the connection fee. But the truth is that comparisons are very difficult.When you take a blended rate of the different costs and you analyse it on a proper basis, you actually see that compared to other European countries,we are arguably below average with these promotions.We are certainly around the average for Europe. I know that will surprise people. But the fact is that telecoms in Ireland are at the cheaper end of the international scale.The average fixed line telecoms bill is lower than the average US or British bill.

What's really interesting is if you look at where take-up is highest and lowest in Europe. The highest DSL penetration is in Denmark,which also has the highest price. (Ed's note: This is not quite correct as Denmark's entry level package is a bundled DSL-plusline rental service compared to a DSL rental-only price for the rest of Europe.) The second highest penetration is Belgium which has one of the lowest prices.

We look at these figures to try and see a correlation between price and take-up. It doesn't mean that price isn't an important factor in driving take-up, but we believe you cannot simply benchmark price because people in different countries make different decisions based on a different sense of values around telecoms. So it's a much more complex thing than just to say `ah well,we're the cheapest or we're the most expensive'. If that is the game to be played, I could say that, overall,we are one of the three or four cheapest countries in Europe for telecoms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

The usual stomach churning spin that we have come to expect from €ircon. Respect due to the SBP for actually correcting some of the more blatant lies...

And as regards their capped service, i find it hard to believe that a knowledge of this would be regarded as a technical matter - is this not a basic feature of the product they are offering...and shouldnt the commercial director of a telecoms company have 'a basic understanding' of their own product..:rolleyes:

The important thing is that all of their lies continue to be challenged - 'cos whilst everyone on boards may recognise this spin for what it is, your average joe wont - and its your average joe that needs to be reminded as often as possible that hes been screwed by €ircon - in order to bring about the change we all want to see here..

Thanks once again Adrian Weckler.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by f®eak_s©enery
    DM: I couldn't answer that, I'd have to refer it to a technical expert. But certainly we haven't had any significant level of complaints about it. However, it's an issue we'd always be looking at.
    Translation:
    "Er, that would be an ecumenical matter
    Man, I'm not a "techie" and I'm proud of it. I don't really use the Internet you know, I just sell it and spin it"

Nice article on the whole - especially given the corrections inserted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

yep, the 4GB one is a tad disturbing...i detect the faint odour of a '1970s computer terminal user'....and the inevitable ah sure, disks are for IT peaple........

certainly not a games user, thats for sure...what the size of the new 'steam' engine from Sierra...700 megs as i recall and needs to read al little about microsoft media engine i suspect........probably still plays space invaders in BATCH....(left,left,left, fire, fire fire) SUBMIT...now lets see in an hour how this puppy did....

my particular favourite is......

'And we're ahead of the curve because we have a population that is internet literate and is a very heavy user of the medium. Issues as to why DSL take-up was slow up to now are in the past'

BUT BUT BUT ....didnt you say about 6 months ago that we were computer illeterate with little interest in the web and therfore noone would want DSL....i could be wrong but didnt you say that to a Dail comittee......

and as for the issues now in the past ...anyone care to guess what these are....jeeze if it was not so sad it would be funny.....

Advertisement