Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*New, Boards Buyers Club, Do we need one ?..

Options
  • 05-10-2003 1:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭

As Boards.ie is a Limited liability company. Would a Boards Buyers Club {BBC} with subscribing members with unique numbered membership cards being able to purchase goods or services at a fair price be a suggestion worthy of support. Considering the purchasing muscle it would have with its ready made Customer base should help combat the Rip-off merchants ?.. and Boards already has a {Online} Shop!.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

This section of Boardsie already facilitates discounts for Boards members and was created as another way to fund Boards.ie afaik.

A formal buyers group based on Boardsie would conflict with that methinks and therefore is not a good idea imho.

On the subject of buyers groups, I've often found some of them can come up with more expensive quotes that I've done myself!

mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Man,

Discounts, or Discount clubs!. Bear no resemblance to my suggestion of a BBC i.e. Boards Buyers Club.

Where an organisation has a substantial membership. Those members represent real purchasing power as potential customers. If Boards.ie had a "Wish List Forum" where members could post their individual needs, and lets assume fifty [50] wanted a quality branded DVD player or a New computer. Then the BBC could buy the items required, in bulk either direct from the Manufacturers or from a Wholsale outlet. Then make these items available at a "fair price" to its own members, instead of people being offered a mere "discount"!.

I can not see any Manufacturing business, Wholesale outlet or Service provider, turning away good business by way of orders from the customer base, that Boards.ie members represent.

P.

Originally posted by Paddy20
    Man,

I can not see any Manufacturing business, Wholesale outlet or Service provider, turning away good business by way of orders from the customer base, that Boards.ie members represent.

P.
    The point I was making simply was that , there was created on Boardsie a commercial interaction section where for a fee companies could interact with their customers here and gain new ones.
    It's a version of advertising that provides an income for here.
    What you are suggesting would conflict with that.

mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

"*New, Boards Buyers Club, Do we need one ?.."

I can see at least 4 grammar errors in that title.

It hurts my brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Originally posted by Truckle
    "*New, Boards Buyers Club, Do we need one ?.."

It hurts my brain.

nazi_women.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

Originally posted by Truckle

Do you mean grammatical errors ? :p

Originally posted by Man

It's a version of advertising that provides an income for here.
    What you are suggesting would conflict with that.

I don't think it would actually. The commercial interaction forums are there for customers to give feedback on the companies performance and service etc.

I think what Paddy means is a company says, "right, if 50 of you buy a dvd player off us we'll give it to you for x amount of money etc or we'll give boards members a discount of 10%"

It would be under commercial interaction I think more than something like Bargains. There are other companies out there that don't have a commercial interaction forum and they offer discounts to boards members as it is.

I dunno should this be a forum like the rest though as it could easily just be used as a free commercial interaction forum by some companies too cheap to pay for a forum.

Maybe just have a webpage with a list of "Boards Discounts" for members and a contact point of a person who'll update the page/details.

I like the idea of a discount card. Boards has a lot of active members and we can see that Komplett are doing great business thanks to boards.

As well as that, the discounts page may be the first step for more companies to get a commercial interaction forum. If the discount page goes well for them they might think about talking to members more and so paddys idea might be a springboard for making boards more income.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭patch

That's an interesting point Marcus. I'd imagine boards would like to attract more paying customers, and such a thing might enlighten companies to the benefits of advertising on boards.

Then again, I'm sure the Admin have thought of all the options in this instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

I would like to see some more discussion on this topic, i do not think there is any conflict with the commercial forums as a) they would be most likely be the first group to see the value of such a buyers group and probably jump at the chance to supply and b) I want an electric 4:3 projection screen and primare seperates, none of our commercial sellers sell this equipment so no conflict, many users would like to purchase more than computer components, this could be an opportunity to show other retailers the value of an interaction forum.

Let the discussion continue.....

V.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Originally posted by MarcusGarvey
    Do you mean grammatical errors ? :p

Sod off Marcus, if that IS your real name.

I was actually gonna change it to grammatical until some bastard quoted it :)

Anyways, thats one grammatical error, as opposed to four of the most annoying grammatical errors known too man.

The "Do we need one ?.." bit which Paddy20 has used before particularly annoys me.

Paddy20, you are a fucking tard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ManWithThePlan

...as opposed to four of the most annoying grammatical errors known too man.

Shouldn't that be 'known to man'?

/me passes Truckle a shovel

Start digging that hole mate. :)

Can we get back on topic please ?

Vexorg I see your post in the For Sale Forum too about Traders.

How about either a forum or a mailing list where a company can offer goods to the boards people at a discount.

I'm sure many companies would like to be in the position to offer goods to the 9000+ members of boards , who have a demographic of young, mostly well educated, tech savvy and very much the ideal consumer for many companies.

So there could be a weekly opt in mailing list where offers are sent out. The work involved in this would of course involve collating the offers from the commericial entities and sending the offer out.

The other would be just to post this as a weekly special type thing in a thread in a "Offers" forum like the way that komplett have these offers.

As well as this there might be open ended offers which could be in a thread/sticky by themselves too.

I'd lock both stickies though to keep them clean but allow the members to ask questions to the commercial entities in this forum (if it gets created)

Possibly block PMs too so that people have to ask and the commercials have to reply in the open.

This forum could have a wishlist too where people can add any product to a community wishlist and all mebers can vote on whether they'd be interested in purchasing this item provided they got a discount.

Now I think it would only be fair for boards itself to get a % of every transaction that occurs in a forum like this. So say someone offers a 10% discount, 2% of this should maybe go to boards for the upkeep of a mostly free service. Ebid does it, Ebay does it, and we use both these services without griping.

Or maybe the commercial entities would just pay a flat fee. I do think for the effort boards is making that something should be put back into the running of this cool resource.

Advertisement