Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whirlpool

Options
  • 05-10-2003 1:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭

Hi,

I was going to write a review of the Whirlpool Star Party, but I see Sky and Telescope have beat me to it!

Whirlwind Weekend of Irish Astronomy
    By J. Kelly Beatty
    http://skyandtelescope.com/news/article_1067_1.asp

Gongratulations again to David Bell, Mike Murphy, Michael Dee, Margaret Murphy and the rest at shannonside astronomy club for organising the event. If you missed it this time, its on next year on September 17-19th 2004.

Shall we be seeing a similar piece in Astronomy and Spaces Ltd.'s publication? :)

Cheers,
    ~Al
    --
    www.irishastronomy.org

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Dunno... Write a review and mail it to info@astronomy.ie.

That's how things get into the magazine. Takes someone to volunteer and write it. Dunno anyone from A&S who was there.

Schmeh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Agar

It's an excellent article which really succintly covers all aspects of the astronomical life in Ireland. Astronomy Ireland even gets a mention, which shows how committed to equality and an unbiased view of astronomy S&T are.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Yes indeed it is a quality article. Nice to see them give a good write up. It's good for all clubs around the country whether it's through new members or even simply hits on websites. It all has to start somewhere!

I brought this to David Moore's attention and he replied as follows:

Yes, we would be delighted to publish a report of WSP. For years we had asked LAC (then SAC) to send advance notices about it and the programme and we'd publicise it but no one has taken up the offer. We have also asked for a report after the event to publish. Again silence. The offer still stands.

We made a similar offer through Albert White (I think?) for Cosmos 2003. He did send a poster close to the time of that event so it was too late for the magazine, but we did put it up in the Shop and asked for a report to be sent in after the event, but again no one took the offerup.

It's a bit frustrating being an Irish magazine. We get more British
    clubs sending us their notices than Irish ones.

I've been going to WSPs since the very first ones (my last was in 2001). WSP pre-dates A&S magazine and even Astronomy Ireland. I don't think I was even President of the I.A.S. when I went to my first WSP! Pressure of work keeps me away all too often unfortunately. I do hope, perhaps in the spring, someone will send us details of the WSP'04 and we can publish it, as has always our policy.

And let me repeat the call for a report of WSP'03, preferably from one of the organisers, or at least run your piece by them first, out of courtesy, we don't want any complaints. It would be most welcome. After all, many members of AI are also members of other local and national clubs - I know I am.

=====
    David Moore BSc FRAS,
    Chairman, Astronomy Ireland, P.O.Box 2888, Dublin 5.
    Editor, "Astronomy & Space" magazine.
    ASTRONOMY SHOP: open until 6pm Mon.-Sat.
    Tel (01) 847 0777. Fax (01) 847 0771.
    www.astronomy.ie (subscribe to our free events email list)
    Email: info@astronomy.ie

Advertisement