Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New book, discussion, WARNING..:: SPOILERS ::..

Options
  • 05-10-2003 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

SO, lets get the ball rolling,

Favourite bits,
    On first reading i'll have to go with the vampires* Nam flashsides :D i laughed aloud, and garnerd me some odd looks from customers
    I'll give my brain a week or two to ruminate on it and read it again to get the more subtle humour.

*which caused me to coin the phrase Nampire for
    her

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

it's out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jongore

Yes:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

That's some nice moderating there :D

Socks! (Sniger):D

Not knowing the book is out is an Abomination unto Nuggan!

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Silent Bob

The innocuous mention of "grey codes" had me laughing out loud.

It's nice to read books written by someone obviously so well versed in so many fields.

• Advertisement

I like the way Jackrum never told any lies.
    "Upon my oath I am not a violent man!", so very, very true!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I've just finished reading this book and maybe its just me but (OK, i don't see how this could be a spoiler but just to be on the safe side)
    it seemed to me that Sam Vimes was almost a different character. Compared to the other books with him, he seemed totally different and I just didn't like him. I think his speach at the end just didn't fit in with the book and to be honest I just want to slap this Vimes in the face and tell him to get his act together. Does anyone else feel this way? Other than that I liked the book but the Vimes thing really bugged me.

I thought it was a natrual progression for Vimes and that it was completly in character for him. The Vimes character has progressed in confidence and in autorithy for AM in every book. He's done the ambasoder job before with excellent results so he would be the logical one for Vetenari to send.

All the books are written from a certain perspective.
    Vimes is playing a supporting role
    This is how vimes appears to those he interacts with, see "The Truth" for a similar skewed viewpoint of vimes.
    Without being privy to his internal dialogue he comes across as a bit of a wanker.
    Also he's on a diplomatic mission, where he has to contend with being called "your Grace" all the time, that'd set anyone on edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I'm not saying that vimes wasn't the right person to send to Borogravia, I just dont think that he sounded like Sam Vimes. Maybe its just, like echomadman said, that we are seeing him from a different perspective, but I dont remember thinking of vimes like this when i read "The Truth". I'll just have to read The Truth again but I just started Small Gods last night so it'll be the weekend before I can start The Truth. Still though, vimes in this book just didn't seem like vimes...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Sean101

I thought the book was well written and a great read. I read guards guards after it (for the third time) and could see how much the disc has evolved in terry pratchetts mind. He's intergrating characters from other novels moreso lately; vimes in "The Truth, Sweeper in "Night Watch" and now both wiil de worde and vimes in Monstrous Regiment. For me, this is amalgimating all the different aspects of life on the disc, seeing some events and people in a different light, such as vimes, as echomadman already pointed out. Its great to see this coherent aproach and i personally cant wait for the next book (Already!). I hope its about the witches, havent seen them in a while.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i thought it wasn't that great

it was an alright book, and a decent enough ending.. in a tacky, cheesy.. oh god i can't believe he just did that kind of way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

I thought it was decent and i liked the ending, despite the cheesyness ;)

Definitely not one of the best though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

does it fit in with the rest of the discworld books , no
    despite the fun fact we now have the fun of the roving report to drag us off to more places arround the disc
    ( i'd love to see deword track down Gytha and Emse in reguards to the book that was published by A Ramstops
    Witch).

But as a comentary on the way that the womens movent from the suffagrettes to GI Jane and the adcancement of womens rights and freedom sue to the two world wars
    it was spot on.

There are many many layers to every book and they get more complex and comment on circumstances as Prachett hones his Craft.

ok serious considerations aside it was a good giggle and
    one wonder is there no part that and Igor would not upgrade so to speak esp to please his Igorina of choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Havelock

I haven't yet read MR, though am pulling all stops to get a lend ( as poor student can't afford to purchase it yet)
    The Vimes thing is true, both him and Vetniari come across quite differently in the The Truth than in the Guards books, on that actually, would love another De Word Novel. (I wonder if Terry has been pointed to this paticular forum? Hum theres a mission, getting Pratchett himself to post here. *Mulls over plan in mind*) The prespective thing actually makes the books alot better really in my opinion, you see through the characters eyes better, espically understanding the viewed character better from other books. There are oh so many layers and intracies.

BTW: Anyone in Dublin capbale of lending MR for just 2 days, would be much appricated. :)

I enjoyed the book and the cameos by Vimes and DeWorde just gave another view on these characters. The idea was good and very well written, I laughed out loud in a few places (always a good indication, but can get you a few stares in public:D ).

It seems to me that once again Terry has expanded our knowledge of the Discworld turning it from a few independent locales into a living interactive world.

(I wonder if Terry has been pointed to this paticular forum? Hum theres a mission, getting Pratchett himself to post here. *Mulls over plan in mind*)

I'd imagine that given the amount of Discworld/PTerry fansites and forums out there we're small fish in a very long and narrow pond, he posts in aft.fan.pratchett now and again though.

Advertisement