Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Afew basic questions

• 05-10-2003 3:25pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok, ill be honest, im not a big fan of WWE, i used to love WWF as a kid, as most did, but kinda grew out of it as Bret Hart departed and the story lines overtook the actual wrestling.

However, i do watch from time to time, just for the sake of it, and have noticed afew things that perhaps i missed something on.

for example, with Kane, isnt he meant to be horribly scarred? isnt that WHY he wore the mask? Didnt he begin his career unable to speak, then one word utterances in a stephen hawking style electo-voice, then a stupid put on electro-voice, then a normal voice capable of full sentences. Why did he shave his head when his mask came off? and where is the scarring? also why does he have one stupid blue eye? is that a result of bad burns?

And my favorite old wrestler, the undertaker. WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED? i mean, hes fat, possibly a different person, and hes a bloody hill-billy!!! where is the long hair, the make up, the trench coat, the tombstone, paul bearer???? the mysterious URN???? where?? will we ever see it again???

please help me
    Flogen
    p.s. i am convinced that kane is(or at least originally was) the million dollar mans undertaker... anyone agree? Now that was a brilliant fight!!! two undertakers!!!
    they should get the old undertaker to fight the new fat and old one.... hed kick his biker ass

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Originally posted by flogen
    Ok, ill be honest, im not a big fan of WWE, i used to love WWF as a kid, as most did, but kinda grew out of it as Bret Hart departed and the story lines overtook the actual wrestling.

However, i do watch from time to time, just for the sake of it, and have noticed afew things that perhaps i missed something on.

for example, with Kane, isnt he meant to be horribly scarred? isnt that WHY he wore the mask? Didnt he begin his career unable to speak, then one word utterances in a stephen hawking style electo-voice, then a stupid put on electro-voice, then a normal voice capable of full sentences. Why did he shave his head when his mask came off? and where is the scarring? also why does he have one stupid blue eye? is that a result of bad burns?
    According to the storyline, the burns turned out to be not so bad, and his scarring was all in his mind. The shaved head and blue contact lense are to at least try to keep in line with the original storyline.
    And my favorite old wrestler, the undertaker. WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED? i mean, hes fat, possibly a different person, and hes a bloody hill-billy!!! where is the long hair, the make up, the trench coat, the tombstone, paul bearer???? the mysterious URN???? where?? will we ever see it again???
    The Undertaker is still the same person, but as you will have noticed, the WWE is trying to move away from such gimmicks, so the Undertakers character was turned into a biker (more realistic than original, but less entertaining). He is heavier because he is older. Paul Bearer now works for NWA TNA (or at least he was).
    please help me
    Flogen
    p.s. i am convinced that kane is(or at least originally was) the million dollar mans undertaker... anyone agree? Now that was a brilliant fight!!! two undertakers!!!
    they should get the old undertaker to fight the new fat and old one.... hed kick his biker ass
    Kane wasn't the fake Undertaker. I can't remember the name of the guy who was, but I don't think he stayed in the WWE. Kane used to be Isacc Yankem, and then the fake Diesel, before becoming Kane.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

so do you think the old undertaker style will ever return?

even before he retires?

Flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

so do you think the old undertaker style will ever return?

even before he retires?

Flogen
    I doubt it very much, it simply wouldn't fit in with the way things are going in the WWE at the moment. I wouldn't be surprised, however, if he were to come down to the ring at WrestleMania XX wearing the old gear, and with the old music in the background, especially if he plans on retiring afterwards. But it would be a one off, he would not recreate the character, just pay homage to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

I myself would love to see him back as the dead(i mean the actual "darkside" dead) man,it would have been good. They were in talks for bringin it for WMXIX,but didn't work out. Hopefully they'll give it a try.

And i dont like the way Kane shaved his head. He took off the mask b4 against the UT,but the hair was attachd to his head,not the mask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭herbie747

Originally posted by Johnmb
    Kane wasn't the fake Undertaker. I can't remember the name of the guy who was, but I don't think he stayed in the WWE. Kane used to be Isacc Yankem, and then the fake Diesel, before becoming Kane.

"Chainz" from DOA was the fake Undertaker from Summerslam '94.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭NeroTheExtreme

Jim Ross interviewed him, and during that time (according to storylines) that it was all in his head. They gave him burn marks the following week when his mask was removed. The head was probably shaved because he was either pissed off with having long hair (and after a number of years, it does get annoying, coming from personal experience anyway), or else he is receeding (probably explaning why one half of his head is shaved tighter than the other)

He's always had one eye different colour than the other, even with the mask on. I guess it's probably to do with the character. What do you want him to do? Wear an eyepatch? They tried that gimmick on someone else too and it sucked.

To be honest, Calloway has actually trimmed down. You think he's fat now? Find Wrestlemania X-Seven and you'll see the belly on him! But it's the same Mark Calloway. I'm glad he got rid of the make up, the Undertaker/Ministry period was woeful and to me, marks his lowest spot. He's lost a lot of his hair up top, so it makes sense to get the hair cut (unless you WANT him to look like the next Hogan?!) The trenchcoat and bodysuit was required because for a long while, he had a back brace. His back was in piss poor condition for his first few years of wrestling, an injury he suffered in WCW before he came to WWF, As his back healed, he ditched the trenchcoat. It took several years.

At this years Royal Rumble (and these are available on it's DVD), there were three promo's for his comeback all showing his three phases. The Undertaker Returns (1990-1998), The Dead Man Returns (1998 - 2000) and The Bad Ass Returns (2000 - 2003)

Fact of the matter is, Gimmicks go stale, If you watched WWF so much as a kid, you'll probably remember of how sick you were of seeing Hogan win every match and ripping the shirt off etc etc.

Nope, Kane is Glenn Jacobs, first known as his stint as Jerry Lawlers dentist in 1995, Issac Yankem DDS. The gimmick sucked but the match was surprisingly solid against Bret Hart as he made his debut. He vanished shortly afterwards but made a comeback in 96 as a repackaged version of Diesel. Again, that tanked (due to him trying to do a gimmick that only Nash could really do. I think the hair extensions were the straw that broke the camels back). He then arrived in 1997 during the first ever hell in the cell match, ripped the door off the cell and attacked the Undertaker.

The fake Undertaker was Smokey Mountain Wrestling mainstay, Brian Lee. A good mate of Mark Calloway. He was drafted in to take his place for a while. He was out with his back, and so took time off for it. He came back sooner than expected so the match was made at Summerslam 94, and wasn't all that impressive (Bret V Owen in the cage blew it away). Lee ended back in SMW but was back three years later as a member of the biker group, Chainz.

Strange that another three years after that, Undertaker ditches the trenchcoat and copies the Brian Lee greasy biker image, after Lee had become the Fake Undertaker a few years before that.

But as McMahon used to say. "anything can happen in the WWF!"
    Nero

wow you sure know alot, its really apparent to me know just how little i know about wwf/wwe, even when i was a regular viewer, i didnt care that much.

btw, what has happened to hogan? i know he was kicked out as part of the story, but didnt he come back like a week later?

Flogen

wow you sure know alot, its really apparent to me know just how little i know about wwf/wwe, even when i was a regular viewer, i didnt care that much.

btw, what has happened to hogan? i know he was kicked out as part of the story, but didnt he come back like a week later?

Flogen

Hogan quit mid August this year because he didn't like the direction his character was being directed. Smackdown hit a low after Wrestlemania when writer, Paul Heyman was fired. And Hogan was given the worst gimmick i've ever seen in my life. Mr America. Which basically took the piss. It was obviously him behind the mask, while McMahon and Co were doing their best squabbling on if it was Hogan or not when it's fanbase obviously knew better.

The hair? the handlebar moustache? the FSCKING LEGDROP FINISHER? The was no bad feeling between Hogan and McMahon as he had parted on good terms (this time), just like Flair did in 93, and the door is open for him to return when there's something for him to do. Which there obviously isn't as Hogan (who's 50 this year), just agreed to appear on NWA-TNA, which is the closest to WWE's competition at the minute.

Hope that answers your question ;)
    Nero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Glowingmind

Just on the Undertaker copying the brian lee image: he's not copying him, the character the undertaker plays now is apparantly very similar to what he's like in real life, and he had a similar gimmick back when he was in wcw as mean mark callous, well over a decade ago.

it does indeed.

what is this NWA and how pro is it?
    once ecw and wcw were gone i thought all competition (excusing the really crappy stuff) was gone....

Flogen

• Advertisement

NWA - National Wrestling Alliance, been around for many years up til 88 when Ted Turner bought out the WCW end of it from them.

It's an alliance of promotions. Although the two better known ones at the minute are NWA-TNA (Total Nonstop Action), where you have the likes of Jeff Jarrett, D-Lo Brown, Raven and recently signed Hulk Hogan.

Also around is NWA-UK, where you'll find Jim "The Anvil" Neidhart, and Jake "The Snake" Roberts.

As for how pro they are, well that's always up for debate, but at the end of the day, it's the only competition WWE has.

Nero

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Nero ur like me and my obsession with soccer : just full of usless information.

As long as this information is used for good only, I'll be more than happy to dish it out.

An "Ask Nero" column should be in the pipeline ;)
    Nero

Advertisement