Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

questions or help

Options
  • 05-10-2003 9:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭

If anybody has any questions about boating or anything nautical in general give me a shout. I have in involved in and around boats/boating and water since I was nea high. I am currently a coxwain and instructor for Civil Defence so I should be able to answer most questions and if I cant I will find out for you.

Cheers

Ryan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Mick L

I'm thinking of doing a powerboat course simply because as a diver I'm on boats quite a bit but currently don't really know enough to lend a hand on the boat or take the wheel if needed. I imagine I'll need to learn the basics like handling, navigation, handling lines etc. Any advice on other skills I'd need to focus on, what course to do etc? I don't know much about the structure of boating qualifications, what agencies there are, how they are rated, or if the different qualifications are recognised by the different agencies. Any advice would be great.

Thanks
    Mick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Hiya Mick, What you need is a minimum of a Level 2 powerboat cert and you need to get yourself to an ISA recognised teaching establishment. A level one cert is only aimed a crewing a power boat so if you want to be Cox go straight to level two. the courses are normaly run over an entire weekend and are pretty intensive so prepared to be knackered when you're finished. I myself have an advanced cert (old level 4) and I can recomend the same place I was certified International Sailing in Cobh www.sailcork.com they are very good instructors but prepare to be bawled at for the weekend. it's not that bad really:)

If you need any fuirthert help let me know and sorry for taking so long to reply.

Ryan

Advertisement