Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dvd region free ? how!!!!!

Options
  • 05-10-2003 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭

hi all , i own a panasonic dvd-rv31 player (region 2) , and i would like to get it adapted to a region free player , is this possible and how, many thanks in advance,
    voyager .:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭ThreadKiller

Have to get it professionally chipped.

There's no software code for them. None of the major brands are remote hackable (apart from Mitsubishi), as they're all connected with a respective film studio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭voyager

thanks threadkiller i was afraid of that, any ideas as to where i could get it done (cheaply) as the new regionfree players are very cheap themselves.
    voyager.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Threadkiller,
    You mention that Mitsubishis are remote hackable. My BD24DVD is region free to begin with but do you know if the region can be set by the remote, or by laptop infra red? Or better still will it just play RCE encoded discs without any messing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭MartinHSabag

None of the major brands are remote hackable (apart from Mitsubishi),

I have to disagree.....

All DVD manufacturers in the world have to set their players to one region when the player leaves the factory, however, you can understand that it makes no sense in manufacturing the same player with different hardware for each region, so what they do is manufacture one player and by changing the software on a programmable chip they change the region.

At the early days those "secret" technicians codes were leaked to the public but now days if your DVD is not region free or at least is not easy converted to region free, it simply won't sell.

Check here for almost all known hacks for thousands of models. You can search by brand.
    Even the big Sony (who owns a film company) makes the players so it can be hacked via the remote control.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Nice one Martin, that link is dead handy. Thanks for posting some great links over the last while, don't know how you come across these sites, but it is much appreciated!

Robbie

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Most Pioneer DVD players are also region free (though you may need remote hack). A lot of rebadged players (including Black Diamond) are usually region free, as it's apparently cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭MartinHSabag

Hi Robbie
    You are much welcome.
    You might want to check the link in my signature...;)

Martin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭voyager

many thanks for your efforts martin, i had come across that site myself and it seems to be very usefull, however i am still waiting for a definite lead to getting the dvd player altered.
    apparently there is supposed to be a service disc out there that unlocks the player hopefully i can track that down,
    also the remarks from you below give me some hope.
    All DVD manufacturers in the world have to set their players to one region when the player leaves the factory, however, you can understand that it makes no sense in manufacturing the same player with different hardware for each region, so what they do is manufacture one player and by changing the software on a programmable chip they change the region.

many thanks, voyager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 jt

heh voyager
    the dvdhacks website is a definite lead, u need a palmtop or a laptop with infrared port, down load the appropriate software andgive it a go.
    I hacked a sony dvd player using a handspring palmtop, omniremote trial software and an appropriate hack from the dvdhack website. it all took a couple of hours or so but it def worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭BrianD3

• Advertisement
Advertisement