Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bertie to retire at 60

Options
  • 05-10-2003 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭

Please Bertie, we'll pay you to go now!
    http://home.eircom.net/content/unison/national/1613685?view=Eircomnet
    Bertie Ahern vows to retire at 60
    Sunday, 5th October, 2003

TAOISEACH Bertie Ahern plans to retire from politics when he reaches 60.

Mr Ahern said yesterday that he would step down in eight years' time, regardless of the role he holds at the time.

He also said he would have a "fundamental re-look" at his Cabinet team after next year's local and European elections and Ireland's EU presidency.

Mr Ahern said: "I put in 16 or 17 hours a day every day and I do 90 hours a week, so it's tough going and I've been doing it for a long time.

"I've made up my mind that, wherever I'm at in politics, at 60 I'm getting out.

"Wherever I am - whether that's a county councillor, a TD, or whatever honour people give me when I'm 60 - I'm going to get out then."

Mr Ahern confirmed that he would be looking again at his Cabinet after the elections and Ireland's EU presidency were out of the way.

He rejected criticism that he was always cautious about moving ministers and promoting newcomers, saying half of the current ministers were not in his first cabinet.

He added: "It's like anything else. People can work at their maximum for so long and it is a good thing to change things around."

He also defended his ministers on a number of issues that caused controversy over recent weeks and months, such as health reforms and transport.

The Taoiseach said that after his retirement he might involve himself voluntarily in sport and also had a great interest in heritage buildings.

He added: "I don't think you'll see me being a guru in business in the Middle East or anything like that."
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,2765-841990,00.html
    Plagued by camera phones
    THE taoiseach has given an insight into the strain he suffered during a summer of intensive media coverage of his personal life. Although he shrugged his shoulders and said “that is the way it is”, Ahern admitted it does bother him that he can’t go for a drink without the risk of being snapped by someone with a camera phone.

“I hope that we don’t turn into a country, not just for me but for everybody else, that you’ve somebody lurking behind the back of a wall at 11 o’clock on a Saturday night to take a picture of me, and either sell it to the newspaper or for the newspaper to do it themselves,” he said. “It is a pity that’s the way it is, but there’s nothing you can do about it. It doesn’t change me from doing anything. I just get on with doing the job. I’d rather my daughter didn’t get such a hard time but it doesn’t change my view of my job.”

Ahern said restrictions on the private lives of politicians in Ireland seemed to be “tighter” than in other countries.

He pledged to retire at the age of 60 “and to get out of everyone’s hair at whatever level I am at”, ruling out any role in European, United Nations or international politics.

“One of my great ambitions is to finish in political life where I started — serving the people of Dublin Central,” he said. “I’ll stay here and be what I’m accused of all my life. I wouldn’t let people down, I’ll stay around and be a true Dub.”
    I love the bit in bold, the publicity whores.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

He won't go until after the EU presidency, at the earliest. If his popularity doesn't improve for the local elctions, he may not get to make his infamously promised reshuffle. But alass Victor he isn't going to go now.
    He also defended his ministers on a number of issues that caused controversy over recent weeks and months, such as health reforms and transport.
    Yeah it must be so easy to defend these two. One of them getting into trouble for doing nothing, except pick a fight with the publicans, the other getting into trouble because big capital projects seem to have a life of their own in this country. They might try the bart simpson school of politics. I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by Victor
    Please Bertie, we'll pay you to go now!
    You should set up a site collecting pledges Victor.

berties-pension-fund.com

fúck-off-bertie.com

adam

You want a job done right, do it yourself.

Donate to Bertie's Early Retirement Fund

Shouting? Moi?

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

There's a big problem with the website.

The most anyone can pledge is 1000 euros...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

the only reason that you can only pledge 1000 is because the govt has screwed us so much that you would be lucky to have a 1000. i would think it was forward thinking wouldnt you.

anyways when i read that bertie was going at 60 i thought, oh please god say he is 59 and three quarters today

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

To be honest all the current leaders are limp and flaccid, yet they still manage to f*** us over.

I think the list should be expanded to more people there Adam.

I mean its a legal bribing mechanism. We know they know we know they're taking backhanders and so lets drop the pretence and let them accept our "signing off bonus"

I'd be worried what idiot they'd replace Bertie with though. All the cronies and boys in the backrooms are still going to be deeply entrenched.

Ad 50 quid is nothing, they've cost me that per month, maybe even per week with the mishandling of the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

it does bother him that he can’t go for a drink without the risk of being snapped by someone with a camera phone.

It bothers me that I can't go for a drink without the risk of being snapped by someone with a camera phone. Or a regular camera. Happily it doesn't happen too often. In any case I keep a stack of pre-signed photos with me at all times in case someone's camera isn't working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dod

Originally posted by dahamsta

Donate to Bertie's Early Retirement Fund
    adam

I love it.

Heh, a couple of fúcktards in Trinity have been playing with it and telling me to "ignore it, they're just playing". I guess they were too stupid to read the text and see that the application actually sends email to taoiseach@taoiseach.gov.ie, using their email addresses. I almost feel sorry for Trinity. :)

Sik Mikey on 'em Bertie! Mikey likes knocking on people's doors at 4am! Get him that uniform he's been asking for! The black one with the natty eagles and the funny cross!

You can't beat invoking Godwin on yourself.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Heh, a couple of fúcktards in Trinity have been playing with it and telling me to "ignore it, they're just playing". I guess they were too stupid to read the text and see that the application actually sends email to taoiseach@taoiseach.gov.ie, using their email addresses. I almost feel sorry for Trinity. :)

Sik Mikey on 'em Bertie! Mikey likes knocking on people's doors at 4am! Get him that uniform he's been asking for! The black one with the natty eagles and the funny cross!

You can't beat invoking Godwin on yourself.

adam

Never mind that Bertie has the Mossad keeping tabs on people who spam taoiseach@taoiseach.gov.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You should set up a site collecting pledges Victor.
    Hang on, between age 60 and 65, he will still pick up a pension of 60% of final salary - thats €600,000 (over the five years).

Advertisement