Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External DVD/CDRW self powered?

Options
  • 06-10-2003 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this isn't the correct place to ask. I am looking for a portable combo drive. There are a few available that I have found. The one thing that none of them seem to do is take power from the USB port or from internal rechargables. This means always having to find a power source to watch a DVD or use the drive in any way.
    Does anyone know of a product out there? I have tried LG, Philips, Archos and probably a few others aswell as several retailers.
    Thanks, iwb.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

freecom have a dvdrw drive with batteries that sustain it for 6 hours:
    http://www.freecom.com/objects/00002435.swf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

Netman, thanks a lot for the speedy reply. I have ordered one from there.
    These boards are really a great resource and you guys are very helpful always. I should've asked sooner instead of tearing my hair out:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

always glad to help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Virus_Inc

USB doen't really have the grunt to run that sort of hardware - a mouse or keyboard yes, dvd/3.5" hdd no.

IEEE 1394 however, if you use the 6-pin connectors can actually supply quite a health current to whatever is hanging off the end - in some cases enough to spin up and power and 3.5" HDD (depending on the HDD)

Here is a review of some IEEE1394 bizzos you might find useful...

http://www.dansdata.com/drivedocks.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

Thanks for the input but the tablet PC doesn't have firewire on it. I just got the Freecom one and it looks great. It is hard to believe it is so small and it has six hours of battery backup built in also. Apparently it trickle charges from the USB port also.

• Advertisement
Advertisement