Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

home networks

Options
  • 18-07-1999 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭

im setting up a home network what type network card should i get ??? and what type cable

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Bracken

It depends,
    how many computers are you connecting, if it's only two you don't even need cards, you can just use a serial or parrallel cable.

If you're puting on more than two, and you might want to expand the network, you should invest in a small hub, and and some Fast Ethernet Cards (100MB/s).
    You could probably pick up a networking kit somewhere with two cards and a small hub for about £120ish.
    You should get cable's and connectors with it.

Bracken

bracken7@hotmail.com
    http://source42.hypermart.net

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

No real ned for a hub. It is possible to have a network that is connected on a daisy chain method. The wire goes into eache machine and then on to the next. This is more suitable than a 10baset network ( with a hub )because it is cheaper and whilst not as fast maybe it perfectly adequate. You will find the cards just about everywhere. The cabling is called BNC and you will also need two 50 ohm ( or is it 40 ohm ? ) resistors to connect them on the end. If you are intersted in this method then email me and i can help ya out or check out www.helmig.com for a lot of info !

Gav
    niallog@
    tinet.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Get a 10/100mb Twisted Pair Card for your PC's and then a cross-over patch cable if your just connecting 2 PC's. Don't waste money on 10base2 (BNC) Cards they're obsolete. If you have more than 2 PC's to connect buy a small hub (4 port around 30 - 40 lids).

Gandalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

If you want to get 100Meg cards and a hub I forget what company is doing it but you can buy a 4 port hub and four cards and all the wires and so on for about 100 squid. Thats the price in galway so you'll probably get them cheaper in peats in dublin or anywhere bar Galway Oh Ya I think it was USR who were doing them.

KaYoS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Jedi

sad.gifPeats sad.gif will rob you blind. Stay clear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

so will the knackers sad.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dadeakacrash

remeber elexes u are putting up @ least 6 machines in the future so make sure u ask everyone about that

and thats ill i got to say about that

our life is merely a subway stop on the railway of our existenze

Advertisement