Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Line Fault

Options
  • 06-10-2003 3:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

I am posting this in this thread as the problem is effecting my internet speed and the people on this forum know a lot about Eircom.

I reported a fault with my phone line about 2 months ago, the problem is every time it rains the phone line gets really fuzzy and my internet speed drops to under 20kbps. The first time I reported this I got a phone call the next day from the technician and he said if the problem occurs again give Eircom another call and he didn't even come down to look at the the cable. So, the next time it rained I got the same problem and I rang them up and someone from Eircom came out to fix it. He said he put insilation around the box on the pole and if the problem occurs again give them a call.

So, today, after the rain yesterday, I gave them a call but it had been a while since the rain so the line wasn't disturbed any more. The woman from Eircom, who was extremely ignorant, said she would test the line and ring me back. When she rang me back she said the line is fine and I explained that it wasn't fine yestarday (she was probably so ignorant because I am now on UTV not Eircom but i still pay Eircom for line rental). She than said she would send someone out to me but if the problem is not Eircoms I will have to pay for the service (which has never been said before).

How could the problem not be a fault with Eircom? Have they got a right to charge me?

BTW could the mods put this post in the most suitable forum please?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Yes they will charge you for coming out if they dont find anything wrong with the line, the princely sum of 57 euro and 14 cent, i presume its construed as a waste of there time if they dont find anything wrong with it.

Im getting another engineer out to the house for my broadband problem as the DSL people are saying its still to noisy to take the signal.

I booked that today but it was a struggle, first fella i was through 2 hung up on me just as he said he was going to book the call and the second who was a woman reminded me of the call out fee if they found nothing wrong

booked it anyway

Shin

and also remember that all eircoms obligation to you is to make sure the main line into the house is working, any internal wiring that could cause the problem you describe is not there responsibility

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

I have had the exact same problem with my line - twice. When it wouild rain very heavily, the line would drop away - static, etc on the line and eventually it died completely. Had an engineer out on two occasions and they replaced the casing where the incoming wire was split into the lines for the house. Solved the problem.

However, being with UTV, I have gotten the run-around when it comes to reporting faults. I was trying to get ISDN installed over the summer, and when Eircom disconnected the line and re-connected me, they forget the CPS thingy that send me onto the UTV network. It took the best part of 7-10 days for the penny to drop with them. I kept getting referred to UTV and they would refer me back. A line test showed nothing.

BTW, the last time I had an engineer here (to fix the f**ked up job that the first ISDN guy made of the situation) he told me that there are actually a few different line tests. The one that they do over the phone doesn't seem to be a tell-all story at all, 'cos despite getting the all-clear from the operator on the line test, this guy discovered a fault using a different test.

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by eireboy
    The woman from Eircom, who was extremely ignorant, said she would test the line.

The 1901 and press 2 for repair Class of Biddy is a legend in its own lifetime. I believe that it takes centuries of emotional deprivation before they will interview a member of a given family for this role.

M

Advertisement