Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some mysterious program grabs a hold of those files you want to delete.

Options
  • 06-10-2003 3:52pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm sure this is an old one but I need to know because I've never properly solved this one. Windows XP time and again tells me that I can't delete/move a file/folder because it is being used by another program, XP particularly likes to do this when it's blatantly obvious there is no program running.
    Surely there is a way to grab control and delete/move it?
    Media Player seems to be one of the biggest culprits with files in your my music folder regardless of whether you are running it or not.
    Save me please before I go bananas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Thats happening to me lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

seems to happen alot with failed transfers, if you are ftping or kazaaing and the transfer is interupted you sometimes can't delete the partial file, boot in safe mode and delete

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If on a lan then type NET FILES at the command prompt

Go to the i386 folder on the HDD or CD and run WINNT32 /cmdcons

This will give you an option to boot to a command prompt bypassing GUI etc. - you can delete almost anything there...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Thanks for the suggestions. I suspect if Media Player has a sound file on a playlist then it can't be moved or deleted. I also came across a suggestion to boot in safe mode. Oh well it's never easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Lukin Black

As a matter of curiousity, what file system is the drive using? I used to find it happening on FAT/32 drives constantly, but rarely on NTFS formatted drives.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭pdogs

Couple of ideas HERE

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Originally posted by Lukin Black
    As a matter of curiousity, what file system is the drive using? I used to find it happening on FAT/32 drives constantly, but rarely on NTFS formatted drives.

NTFS here.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Using NTFS here, happened me a few times but usually a reboot resolves it.

A good fix is listed here http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/r1037252815
    Of cousre another fix would be to get rid of XP :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

I know this is an oldish thread, but i have the same problem with an avi file.
    I went into safe mode through the admin account (on xp) and tried to delete a file i have in the main account, which isnt shared (duh..). However everytime i try to move the file, not only does it tell me it's being moved by another programme or user, but my whole system freezes and needs rebooting, so i cant touch it.
    any way around this?
    any tips short of use of force are welcome! (thats last resort)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

it's being moved

i meant "used" , sorry.

• Advertisement
Advertisement