Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why can't i have higher rez?

• 06-10-2003 5:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭

i have a 15" dell screen and sandra says, that max rez for the screen is 1600x1200 but i can't go higher than 1024x768 in display properties, is there anyway of going higher?

i have the latest drivers for Radeon 9700

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

No.
    Leave it alone.
    There's no point.
    If it's for desktop you won't be able to read any text and you will blind yourself, with possible migraines also as a result fo the 5Hz refresh rate required.
    If it's for games you're going to get really low frame-rates and you won't see the difference on a 15".

As a guide, never use a monitor iwth a refresh lower than 75Hz. I try and keep it at 85Hz or above.
    14"/15" - 800x600 @ 85Hz, maybe 1024x768 if it'll take it.
    17" - 1024x768 @ 85Hz, maybe slightly higher res, but you'll generally have to drop refresh to 75Hz to obtain it.
    19" - 1200x960 @ 85Hz
    etc.
    (currently using 1xxx*8xx @ 100Hz on a 19" CRT).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭str8_away

maybe your graphics card does not support that res or the driver need to be updated.

Sometimes Windows will install default driver for graphics card that only support up to 1024x768 and sometimes not even that high.

SyxPak is right
    looks after your eyes, you can always get better monitor but not your eyes. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Iv got a hansol 920D and iv got the desktop @ 1024x768x32 100Hz and BF1942 @ 1600x1200x32,either sandra is lying or.......somthing else :f33r:

CombatCow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

but why do laptop's have 1600x1200 resolution without problems?

i guess they are running at lower Hz?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I haven't seen a laptop with that high a resolution. Mine runs 1024x768 on its 14.1" screen.
    The keyboard on a laptop is attached to the bottom of the screen so unless you are some sort of monkey man you have to sit closer to the screen than you would at a desktop, this is why laptops use higher resolutions than would normally be used on such a small screen, you sit nearer so you can read smaller text.
    Secondly, laptops use LCD or TFT screens which, due to the way they are made, have a native resolution. This is the only resolution at which they are properly using all of the available pixels. They cannot go any higher because there simply aren't enough pixels there and if you lower the resolution you will see a huge drop in image quality, it won't just look bigger, because to work at the lower res the screen has to effectively merge pixels. i.e. 1 pixel at resolution 1 step lower might require 1.25 physical pixels so the display will use 2 pixels for some and 1 for others.
    I have to assume it's a TFT you are using and even so I would have thought 1024x678 is about the right balance between ease of reading and desktop size.
    If it's a CRT screen then you sir are truly a mad yoke!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

erm... erm... erm... you are right sir!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 elsoldemayo

Make sure you have the correct software for the monitor installed. When you go into Display settings - advanced - monitor, if it says something like plug and play monitor you may need to install the correct monitor drivers. Should be available from Dell website.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

I very much doubt a 15" screen will run at 1600x1200. Why don't you look up the specs on the manufacturer's website?

Is it one of these?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I very much doubt a 15" screen will run at 1600x1200. Why don't you look up the specs on the manufacturer's website?

mine does. Dell Inspiron Laptop. 15".
    All the writing is soooo small

Advertisement