Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help

Options
  • 19-07-1999 7:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭

right lads, im in a library in boston. on the pcs,they dont let you do much more than use the web and browse their online book database. they are running something called winu that wont let me near anything at all apart from their few options.running on win98. how do i get it to not run this program on startup. you need a password to do anything at all on here.
    i want to be at least able to telnet to my mail in college. any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

Try safe boot by pressing F8 at startup when it says it's loading windows or go in to word then help/about MS Word then sys info then file/run you can run regedit then search for "runonce" the fastess was to find the "Run" (it should be two folders on top of the runonce folder) folder in there should be a string with the name and the command line of the program that is blocking you work jsut deleat the string and it will never run again
    Coyote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

see below.
    damn double posting... smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Kali (edited 19-07-99).]

http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~macbain/Telnet
    java telnet program.
    should do the job grand for ya.
    unless ur sittin behind a firewall smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

His makin' it up as he goes along!!! smile.gif

me or all that registry editing crap?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭tarzan

ta lads.
    so how do i log on there kali?

here coyote, there is no run option in that system information window. anything else?

oops sorry mate forgot its not user-definable ..
    i think there is one lying around that is.
    i'll take a look now

well even if you gave me a login i could use and then i can telnet to my one. mail me at dermotbrennan@hotmail.com if you have one that you dont want to post here.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

You could try this. works with most machines I've come across for win95/98.

1. Open up notepad or any program which will allow you to save a file to the disk.

2. When you get the file save dialog right click on a blank space area where the files are normally shown.

3. Select New->Shortcut

4. Try to create a shortcut of one of these.

C:\command.com
    C:\dos\command.com
    C:\winnt\system32\cmd.exe

5. Once you have the shortcut made, right click it and select Open and it should launch DOS. After that you can play away.

Where's the library? I might bop in and have a looksee at the machines.

• Advertisement

that didnt work either hobbes. thanks anyway. right clicking doesnt give you any menu's. the library is in winthrop. there is only a few pc's here though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Oi Dermot, mail me...Toulouse@ireland.com smile.gif

Advertisement