Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Panasonic DVD-A100 "No Disc"

Options
  • 06-10-2003 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭

Evening folks,

I bought the above player in March 99 and all was well until about 3 months ago. All of a sudden it could no longer read any types of discs and the display simlpy reads "no disc". I bought a lens cleaning disc but it couldn't even pick that up. I opened the machine to try and manually clean the lens, but this made no difference (I also noticed the disc wasn't even spinning up).

I checked around the web and came accross a few sites commending the player and rightly so. I never had an ounce of trouble with it (I've always found Panasonic to be a very solid make, never had an ounce of trouble with me TV or video either) and I would like to get it repaired for the same reason.

I did come accross one site that mentioned a law suit against Panasonic (their parent name is censored here for some reason) for the same problem with other models: Class Action Lawsuit so it's not an unknown problem (see also here Panasonic DVD Players ).

What I want to know is, has anyone here ever had similar problems with their player (I'm sure some of you have) and if so where did you bring the player to get it repaired and have you had any trouble since?

I was considering getting in touch with Brown Thomas where I bought it to see if they do repairs, but any suggestions would be welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭MartinHSabag

I think the laser lens is gone, it happens. they only have alimited life span anyway and 4 years and more of intensive play might just be too much for the poor guy.

You can order an new lens assembley but I think it would be cheaper just to buy a new player.
    I guess that your pana was not cheap back then, but as in every hi-tech these are coming cheaper and better by the day...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Shred

I was kinda hoping somebody wouldn't say that, but I'd already resigned meself to buying a new player in a way. Intensive play is right too, I used it as me main cd player also after my Phillips stereo stopped playing cds (surprise surprise:rolleyes:).
    I'm gonna take a trip into Brown Thomas to see what kind of players they have on interest free credit later this week(if they still do it), that's how I bought most of me stuff in the first place. And you're right, it wasn't cheap at the time:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭MartinHSabag

I don't think BT is cheap even now.....
    I would concider other places...

Go for a good brand (not that Panasonic aren't) - Pioneer, Sony, Toshiba, Philips etc, as suppose to those branded chineese players if you kno what I mean.

I allways say that I'm not reach enough to buy cheap....

Advertisement