Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 have launched Irish Website

• 06-10-2003 8:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

It's available here at http://www.3ireland.ie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭mneylon

It's a pity that they designed the site more for broadband users than people on dialup or heavily contended ADSL :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭lotas

any ideas on when they are releasing this? i know vodafone have a G3 network for their business customers, or so the car phone warehouse says. their pricing is on the GPRS page too. weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Originally posted by lotas
    any ideas on when they are releasing this?

not for a while yet: Long Wait for 3G in Ireland
    Originally posted by lotas
    i know vodafone have a G3 network for their business customers, or so the car phone warehouse says. their pricing is on the GPRS page too. weird.

well - they are running a trial with a handful of selected business customers - the press launch was more for media exposure than any true network rollout available to their general customer population (business or personal)

the pricing appers more to be an opportunity to plaster the term 3G on the website where ever it will fit - identical pricing packages (they only have one) and data charges for 2.5G and 3G...

atb,
    BrianG

edit: oops! pasted that url in too quick - extra space at the end freaked out vbulleitn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Seemingly three's service will launch sometime around the summer. They are doing some testing at moment it seems.

Vodafone's 3G service wont laucnh commerically till at least the 2nd quarter of next year.. Or so I have been told anyway..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 lectrosoul

IT seems as though Vodafone are trying to put back the launch of commercial 3g services again in Ireland siting in that article on3G-NewsRoom that the Irish people aren't ready for 3g yet!!

that really pi$$ed me off as its more to do with problems at their end than anything else, i mean its a fact that the irish people are one of the biggest users of mobile technology in the world and as ive said in another thread the other day we are a nation of early adopters, not just in mobile phones but lots of technological area's including Gaming as well being the biggest playstaition nation next to japan per capita,

as far as i can gather they will try to delay as much as they can because they have not the working system in place and have asked for another extension to the deadline for rolllout.. of 3g services, but vodafone are not the only company involved.. we will have choice from the off which will be a welcome thing right now as In ireland we are being ripped off on the price of phones, calls and services, sure didnt Vodafone just put the Ready to go prices up there a while back?? a strange move people may say, but i believe this is so that when the pricing for 3g services comes in which will be quite high, They wont look so expensive next to 2/2.5g services hence the price increase in some areas,
    just my view though...

anyway lets see what happens...

• Advertisement

I just hope that they are really ready before they launch.
    The company is not targetting individuals and is more interested in business users.
    The 3rd generation side of things is 'nice' but you will be disappointed - unless they manage to get both better handsets and better coverage than they have elsewhere

To be honest, they have learned quite a few lessons from the Live! launch... That service was rushed out and they were not able to suppport it in any way. This hit them bad and its only now that the amount of problems with the service have dropped to an acceptable level.

I have used the 6650 quite a bit in Dundalk and experienced very few problems to be honest. Obviously this will change once larger number of users are involved, but its seems ok for the time being. I remember testing MMS early last summer and it was dogged with problems all the way through and they carried through to the commercial launch. On that, at the moment, to enable an account as a UMTS user, its simply a matter of changing some quality of service values on the HLR. While there is obviously more going on in the background, its basically piggy backing on a modified GPRS network with some upgraded base stations and a modified core network.

On another note though, they are testing an internal application at the moment that can be used to trace the customer on the network that will display the cause of any problems... For example, if the user sent an SMS at 14.30, they can run a trace between 14.15 and 14.45 and the exact cause of an SMS not delivering/failing will be displayed, even down to it being a misconfigured handset. That should make a few peoples jobs easier and make problems solving a little less hit and miss... None of this crap of blaming the handset or the competing network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 lectrosoul

i know and if 3 try and do what they've done elsewhere with their 'walled garden' approach and stunting the capacity of probably the BEST Phone on the market like they have done with the Motorola A920.. well ther not going to succeed as we've seen by many 3 users feeling VERY disgruntled by the way they feel ther being spoonfed by the network as regards services and Handsets

ON paper the A920 looks out of this world but in reality its another story
    just like the 'Services they (3) (kinda) provide..

im gooogle eyed so hope i make sence lol...

3 promised a lot and delivered little in Italy - though they enjoyed billing us for it

Seemingly Vodafone are gonna start depending more and more on LG, Samsung and Sharp to provide some UMTS handsets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

Why oh why did they not get three.ie in time.

Vodafone said that they wanted to have to have 3G live in most European markets by end of March 2004 at the latest. o2 have said the end of 2004 at the earliest.

I wonder if the delay in ireland is related to the fact that they probably have not reached a roaming agreement with vodafone or o2 yet.

jesus_thats_gre, I heard that they may just go with the 1 handset provider?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Originally posted by Fungus
    Why oh why did they not get three.ie in time.

One possibility is someone (not pointing at anyone mentioned in the whois info for three.ie) decided they'd get more than the cost of a RBN cert for it!

.cg

Advertisement