Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad Request (Invalid Hostname)

Options
  • 06-10-2003 10:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

I'm in two minds as to whether this is the right place to post, so move at will.

I want to access a particular website and when i type in the url i get this:

Bad Request (Invalid Hostname)

When i ping it, none of the packets are dropped. A tracert also works - although its temporarily timed out on the second last/third last hops.

Ive tried using the ip address in the browser but this has the same result.

I am aware that other people are accessing the site so its not down as such.

What could this be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Interesting.

Could be a browser issue. If you can ping it (by hostname), then it shows your DNS settings are working correctly.

Have you tried accessing the site using other browsers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭FreeHost

What's the hostname?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Hmmm

Sounds like a DNS issue to me. Your ISP may be using a proxy for http connections which is having issues with the hostname, this would explain the ability to ping etc.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 chucky_cheese

Your ISP may be using a proxy for http connections which is having issues with the hostname, this would explain the ability to ping etc.,

My isp is utv and they do use a proxy. However, this doesnt affect all other pages surfed? Have they blocked this site or something?

Prefer not to give url at the moment..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

Possibly the dns is set up to point to the server, but there is not a virtual server set up to service the requests.

Eg
    I decide to set up a site www.somewidget.com on server 10.1.1.2 say

I set up dns for www.somewidget.com to resolve to 10.1.1.2
    However I do not set up a vurtual server on 10.1.1.2
    Depending on the web server (and its config), it may give the error you describe-it can be set up to return a default site though

oops noted other people can see the site. Is the site hosted by your ISP? perhaps the web site was moved..the virtual server taken down, but the dns not updated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement