Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

File Sharing P2P e.t.c

• 06-10-2003 10:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭

What progs are you guys using for your file sharing

At the moment i'm using Kazaa Lite K++ and I think its great no adds or apyware or any of that, great speeds but sometimes not very many search results.

I've also started using Shareaza which gives me LOADS of search results but long ques and slow enough downloads but again its spyware free and has no adds.

Anyone else have any other opinions on the others I wanna try some more of the better ones and settle on one.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

Interesting thing about Kazaa lite, try searching for it on google ....

"In response to a complaint we received under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, we have removed 3 result(s) from this page. If you wish, you may read the DMCA complaint for these removed results."

anyway, at the moment I don't use mldonkey, which can connect to donkey and kazaa and some other networks all at once, and will soon be able to swarm-download across networks!

rob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

2 be honest lads why dont ye just hope on a plane and fly to the states and visit the riaa and all those other dude and tell them ure d/lin their stuff i mean any p2p is a security risk

But hey who an i to say d/l away lads but mad if u keep usin kazaa e-donkey or n e variation of dat etc

D.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

And now Dr4gul4 will say that same sentence in English...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

there comeiing to take me away he he haa haa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

I don't believe in using DC++ as file sharing is evil. P2P file sharers are the spawn of satan!!!

DC++ offers excellent transfer rates for the leeching scum who use it..i spit at them...

Also I don't believe in using Peerguardian to block ips from known anti-piracy bodies eg. RIAA, MIAA...This software works with most P2P file sharing programs and is a sign of cowardice from these evil pirates...

Now if you excuse me I am off for some self-flagellation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

Emule & BT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Bit Torrent except for the fact that it blue screens my pc. Pain in the ass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

Yea I used mldonkey a few months back and didn't think much of it as it wasn't user friendly enough for me with having to install GUI's e.t.c I must give it a try again though.

How is it as regards content and speeds?

Lads don't let it turn into a flame war about mp3'z e.t.c take that somewhere else or start a new post I would like to hear peoples opionions on file sharing apps

Cheers :horned:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

Whitey,
    I think people are being deliberately sarkie if you get my meaning;)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I'll second Bit Torrent. What it's great for is getting the latest US shows, about the time they air in the US. I'm able to enjoy the latest 'Angel' and 'Alias' as a result.

mIRC is also quite good for getting stuff. Whereas BitTorrent ensures you upload as well as download (which is, to be honest, fair), mIRC just uses a queue system (BitTorrent begins instantly).

Kazaa is now, IMHO, rather poo....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

Originally posted by talla
    Whitey,
    I think people are being deliberately sarkie if you get my meaning;)

Lol oh yea ... you'd think I would have woken up by now :rolleyes:

Anyway ... Why do people think Kazaa is so bad I presume when they say Kazaa they mean Kazaa Lite ? :confused:

Theres hardly ever ques , no spyware , fast downloads (50 - 60 K) on my Adsl the only thing wrong is that it doesnt have the greatest content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

whitey, the main reason I don't use mldonkey is because it can run on a unix machine that I have left on 24/7. It probably has more features than Kazaa or BitTorrent, but I don't think it's as fast.

p.s. 24/7 != bandwidth whoar, I mostly don't upload some choice bootleg'd gigs, of THE MARS VOLTA, which the band actively encourage, bloody COMMUNISTS.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Mmmmm... Mars Volta... *dr00ls*
    Currently wiping the floor with sparta...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭PaulMagrath

I have found Kazaa Lite K++ to be the best.

Any time I have started having trouble with it, it was nearly always just that I had fallen behind with updating it.

If you are having trouble finding a file, look at a verified downloads site, enable the search more option, or jump supernodes.

Dr4gul4: the riaa are called that for a reason: Recording Industry Association of AMERICA ie they can do f**k all to us here Europeans, to the Japanese, to the Australians, etc.

Hmmm,
    I downloaded Dido - Whiteflag on kazza recently or so I thought....

Luckily thanks to lovely broadband it only took a minute or two.

Then I played it and got 3 minutes of a Baby screaming with a very healthy pair of lungs:eek: :eek:

Apparently as I can testify , these p2p's are being flooded with false files at the moment by the record companies :(

mm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

not very many search results

just reset your search settings, you can fiddle with them, IMO it's best to set it to "unlimited" and when you have several hundred files to evaluate, you can stop the search...:horned:

Originally posted by Man
    Then I played it and got 3 minutes of a Baby screaming with a very healthy pair of lungs:eek: :eek:

Apparently as I can testify , these p2p's are being flooded with false files at the moment by the record companies

Just saying but you wouldn't have that problem if you had downloaded the last update of Kazaa Lite K++. It specifically addressed this problem by blocking the RIAA and it's subcontractor's IP addresses from appearing in your search results or as a source for a download.

And anyway, you should be using a verified downloads site (I'd link to one but that is a banable offence here I hear!) to find what you are looking for.;)

And for god's sake it's only 3 minutes anyway.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

PaulMagrath
    Can you explain "jump supernodes
    "

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭cmdrpaddy

the Ip blocker built into Kazaa lite is pretty unreliable as the RIAA can just change their IP but it is pretty ok all the same.

Supernodes are an essential part of the FastTrack/Kazaa network. When being a Supernode, other users in your neighbourhood will automatically upload to your machine a small list of files they are sharing, whenever possible using the same Internet Service Provider or located in the same region as you. When they search they send the search request to you as a Supernode. This request will also be forwarded to other supernodes. The results are then send back to the user. The actual download will be directly from the computer who is sharing the file, not from you. The download goes from them to the person who wants it, peer-to-peer.
    Any computer using Kazaa (Lite) can become a Supernode if they have a modern computer and are accessing the Internet with a broadband connection. Being a Supernode does not affect your performance noticeably.

By switching or as it is known "jumping" supernodes you access the list of files of a different set of users. Thus, you may find a file that you may not have on the first supernode (or any other one).

To jump supernodes, either:
    1)click File on the top right of the Kazaa Lite screen and click Jump Supernode on the menu that appears or
    2)click on the K icon on the bottom-right of the screen (by the clock) and click Jump Supernode on the menu that appears.

If you do not see the Jump Supernode option, you are not using a current version of KazaaLite and should download the current one (2.4.3 I think) immediately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

I'm using BT for educational purposes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Originally posted by cmdrpaddy
    the Ip blocker built into Kazaa lite is pretty unreliable as the RIAA can just change their IP but it is pretty ok all the same.

Thats because people like Man are (unintendantly) downloading the glitchy version to their computer, then it spreads to other users, and soon the song escapes past the "bad IPs" (ie. RIAA). Its a nagging problem, but I made a technique that works 90% of the time depending on the song;

In most cases, the RIAA rips its handicapped songs at 128kpps.
    So to combat this, just download a version of the song that is larger than 128 kpps. To make things earlier, go to "Search" -> "Search More Options", enter the name of the artist/song/album, click on "Quality" and select "At Least" and "160kpps". Click "Search Now".

You should now come across the rare unglitched matchs. They take up more space than the 128kpps versions, but its far more convinient than wading through the crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Can anyone point a novice in the direction of a plain english explaination of how BT works or how to use it. I got it but dont understand how to use it :(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

ok i have kazaa lite, sometimes i get a good speed as 30+ IF there are more than 2 users, most of the time, i`m left with remotley queued, or a single user at 5kb or less Which sucks.
    Bit torrent mostly uploads alot ! speed usualy stays around 15 kb for me.
    Soulseek is pretty good if the people let u download off them, i sometimes get 40kb+ constant.
    Win MX is the crappiest program ever, Everything is in in a queue, Everything !

What is the kazaa lite website ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

WinMX is fine if you're patient :D and have brodband, files are more reliable than kaaza and there are a lot more available in it than kaaza these days also.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Jonnie_Onion

Pretty soon Kazaa Lite will be worthless. Download the original Kazaa then use Diet K to remove all the spyware.

Originally posted by Placebo
    What is the kazaa lite website ?

Since forum rules forbid lining to warez or discussing or even anything like that I can't post a link to it.

But...if one, hypothetically speaking, wanted to visit the site (purely for 100% legal research purposes of course) one could, I suppose, enter the term Kazaa Lite into google, then scroll to the bottom of the results (which don't include it because of DMCA) and then click on the link to the DMCA notice sent to Google by Sharman Networks and access it via one of the links cited on that letter as being believed to be infringing on Sharman's copyright in some way...... (hypothetically speaking of course)

However you should be made aware that Sharman has recently threatened several of the ISP's of KL's mirrors with DMCA legal action and that nearly all of KL's download sites are now off-line or recommending KL users to turn to eMule, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Originally posted by Jonnie_Onion
    Pretty soon Kazaa Lite will be worthless. Download the original Kazaa then use Diet K to remove all the spyware.

Kazaa lite is still a very good app, the new version 2.6 is on release candidate 5 at last check. You can't download Kazaa lite through the official channels anymore but you can still get it, if you look hard enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Fabre

If you are looking for an alternative download source to kazaa try irc.

All you need is an irc client like mirc and maybe an xdcc script like XDCC Klipper

Don't know if I can post links to irc search engine, can a mod tell me if it is ok?

Anyway do a search for xdcc search or fserve search and you will find plenty.

The main inconvinience of irc is that "old" files can be hard or impossible to find.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

However you should be made aware that Sharman has recently threatened several of the ISP's of KL's mirrors with DMCA legal action and that nearly all of KL's download sites are now off-line or recommending KL users to turn to eMule, etc.
    i know, they are all down.
    Kazaa lite is a Ware(z) ? how come.
    Soulseek is pretty good.

Advertisement