Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying a laptop abroad

• 06-10-2003 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭

I'm off to america for my hols soon, thinking of buying a laptop over there

forgetting about price is there anything i should know technically, like the power etc etc?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Vorrtexx

well you'll obviously need an adapter for the mains to use it back here, for charging and such.
    also, your warantee will probably not be eligible outside the U.S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

That's not necessarily true - most laptops nowadays come with a dual voltage power supply, meaning you can use it both in the US and in Europe. The only thing that is required is a converter for the plug.

Check the power supply, it should say something like "Input voltage 110V-240V". This means is can handle US voltage (110V) and European voltages (240V).

What Vorrtexx said about the warranty is quite true. The laptop is fine until something goes wrong, then you are really on your own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

what laptop are you buying?

this really is a little thing, but the KB will be US

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭Paddyo

From my experience Toshiba Laptops offer international warranty - if there is a problem you need proof of purchase.

Paddyo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

any laptop ive seen in the last 5years has had an international power supply. you will just need a plug to sort out the physical connection.

If you are looking for a great warranty, go for bestbuy.com. Their averetec range looks really good and you can get a 3year international warranty that even covers accidental!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭mambo50

I recently purchased a new Sony Viao Laptop for approx $1000 from Best Buy in the US. Works a treat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Good idea, they are dirt cheap over there. I brought back a toshiba back on saturday, working perfectly, just needed an irish power cord plugged into the ac transformer. If you are buying a secondhand laptop, look on www.craigslist.org , it covers many big cities in america.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭Paddyo

Just a point of caution - I would not recommend purchasing any extended warranty/insurance from the company who you are purchasing the portable in the States - unless it is the manufacturers own product.

With a lot of these 'insurance policies' you need to bring it back to where you bought it.

Paddyo

Advertisement