Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dive Weekend Part Deux - Discover Scuba for non divers.

• 07-10-2003 9:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭

Right lads... where 2 next?

Anyone who is interested in another weekend please post suggestions for locations and dates.

I'm flexable on dates. My suggestion for location is waterworld in tralee. As I was telling the guy's at the weekend the diving is excellent.

-- edit -- Feck me they even have a leasure centre & pool since I was there last !!

My second suggestion is this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭Mick L

Waterworld looks pretty good. The dives around the islands seem promising. As for dates, any time after October suits me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

On my end .... i'd say money and college commitments will exclude me from diving for a wee bit.

Then again, rules were made to be broken.;) :ninja:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

As per Kevin's (Peace) suggestion Waterworld also do an Discover Scubadiving day for those who have never dived before. So all you non divers now have no excuse !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Sounds like a good place, and it's not a remote as Scuba Dive West so it gets a thumbs up from me. It will have to be after October though, my dive budget has been used up for this month.

OK then folks,

Time to get a little orgainsed, what with paddy's weekend looming (assuming we survive valentines that is) its a good time to kick off some diving activites (and fall off the wagon).

Dave's suggestion of waterworld is good for me. Kerry is a long haul but sure if thats what the peoples want then thats what the peoples gets.

Are there any other suggestions?

1) I'd throw Donegal out as a suggestions but some of the wrecks i'd like to cover on that weekend wouldn't be suitable for all.
    2) Also nordicDiver has indicated he's up for a bit of the U260 (baltimore) but i don't think it'll be that weekend again because not everyone could do the dive and it'd be the first of the season....better get the skills sharpened up a bit before we head straight down to 40m.

So if there are anymore suggestions then kick them in and we could start a poll or all you biothes could just do as i as....take your pick.

Its a good idea to book ahead to avoid dissapointment. Paddys weekend will choc a bloc with divers getting back into their groove.

Also for any non divers or old timers getting back into it....like DaveG said - you have no excuse ... waterworld do a discover scuba course - discover scuba/tune up

Weekend is open to all!

• Advertisement

I vote for Waterworld on Paddys weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭NordicDiver

What dates, the weekend before, after or around the 17mars ?
    Had hoped for donegal or baltimore, but for a board trip, waterworld is great.
    .....and sauna :D

Do they have a uni-sex shower?

Originally posted by Evil Phil

LMFAO

Sorry lads I'll be unable to attend as /start gloat I'll be heading off to Florida on the 6th of April to do some diving in the florida keys. For those interested I'm trying to book a dive off the Spiegel Grove. I think I read somewhere it's the largest divable wreck in the US. I'll be sure to post pics when I get back /end gloat

However I'm still game (hopefully) for the liveaboard Peace.

Originally posted by daveg
    LMFAO

Sorry lads I'll be unable to attend as /start gloat I'll be heading off to Florida on the 6th of April to do some diving in the florida keys. For those interested I'm trying to book a dive off the Spiegel Grove. I think I read somewhere it's the largest divable wreck in the US. I'll be sure to post pics when I get back /end gloat

However I'm still game (hopefully) for the liveaboard Peace.
    Looks like a nice wreck alright. Florida eh...yeah well you weren't really invited to Kerry in the first place :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Mick L
    well you weren't really invited to Kerry in the first place :rolleyes:
    Right lads... where 2 next?

Anyone who is interested in another weekend please post suggestions for locations and dates.

I'm flexable on dates. My suggestion for location is waterworld in tralee. As I was telling the guy's at the weekend the diving is excellent.

-- edit -- Feck me they even have a leasure centre & pool since I was there last !!

My second suggestion is this.

:p

No Phil, but i think the womens is clearly sign posted, so you shouldn't have too many problems.:eek: :eek: :eek:

Originally posted by Peace
    No Phil, but i think the womens is clearly sign posted, so you shouldn't have too many problems.:eek: :eek: :eek:
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

I would definitely be interested as a beginner (if that's possible).. I'm a fast learner!

- I'm talking about the diving by the way.. not the showers (although that would defo be a bonus :D)

Any dates set yet ?

Since there is no long weekend this year (for me anyway) any weekend will do, say either 13/14 or 20/21.

Any of these weekends are good for me.

I would vote 20/21 but i can turn up either weekend, it doesn't bother me so if other people would like a different date all they have to do is say so :).

So DaveG is letting us down a bagful already.

Phil you're either part of the problem or part of the solution...???? Also would offroadannie be interested in this one phil?

Originally posted by Dr Pepper
    I would definitely be interested as a beginner (if that's possible).. I'm a fast learner!

- I'm talking about the diving by the way.. not the showers (although that would defo be a bonus :D)

Dr pepper...good stuff.
    Have you checked out the web site for waterworld? Thee are a couple of different ways you can get into diving. You can head down and organise with them in advance to have an instructor to lead you on a couple of try dives or you can get youself on an Open Water course and orgainse to do the qualification dives down with waterworld....i think its called a referal.

Maybe the try dives would be best as often with insrtucors there they know the waters and know where the cool stuff hangs out. Plus the Open Water is a big € commitment.

I'll let you know at the weekend - god knows what wedding/christening/other horribly in your 30's thing to do I'll have on that weekend.

• Advertisement

Due to the 2004 NATIONAL DIVE CONFERENCE on the 20/21st then i won't be up for that weekend. So i'm changing my vote to the 13/14th..

Due to the 2004 NATIONAL DIVE CONFERENCE on the 20/21st.
    13/14 th.

13th/14th it is. See you all there (wherevet there turns out to be)

Thanks for the advice Peace.. I had a look at that site and it looks bleedin rapid. I'm generally not into courses and the formal approach to things (like learning guitar, programming, hillwalking, etc.). I'm a bit impatient and I like to just dive right into things (pardon the pun :)).

Anyway, is the outing being discussed in this thread not for beginners? Maybe I have mis-understood the term non-divers.. It appeared on the waterworld site too. Does it mean people who have never dived before or somethin else?

Originally posted by Dr Pepper
    Thanks for the advice Peace.. I had a look at that site and it looks bleedin rapid. I'm generally not into courses and the formal approach to things (like learning guitar, programming, hillwalking, etc.). I'm a bit impatient and I like to just dive right into things (pardon the pun :)).

Anyway, is the outing being discussed in this thread not for beginners? Maybe I have mis-understood the term non-divers.. It appeared on the waterworld site too. Does it mean people who have never dived before or somethin else?
    Not into courses?? That'll change, diving is not something you can pick up as you go, but don't let that put you off. As for the weekend being discussed on this thread its the perfect weekend for people who have not dived before to come along. There'll be people there with different levels of experience. You'll not only get to try diving, you'll have divers to talk to about diving and what it's like and of course if you're lucky you'll have the comical antics of our very own Evil Phil for amusement.:D :D

We offer from Friday to Sunday full meals, luxury en-suite accommodation, four boat dives, cylinders, air and weight belts all for only 190.00 Euro. Non diver 135.00 Euro.

If I can be of any more assistance to you please do not hesitate to contact me.
    Thanks and dive safely,
    Ronnie Fitzgibbon.

Got a reply from Waterworld tonight, from friday 12 to sunday 14 mars.

Not into courses?? That'll change, diving is not something you can pick up as you go, but don't let that put you off. As for the weekend being discussed on this thread its the perfect weekend for people who have not dived before to come along. There'll be people there with different levels of experience. You'll not only get to try diving, you'll have divers to talk to about diving and what it's like and of course if you're lucky you'll have the comical antics of our very own Evil Phil for amusement.:D :D

Howya! Thanks for that!
    I'll certainly go for this trip just to get a feel for it! Maybe even "entertain" ye with some of my infamous guitar playing also :)
    Price sounds very reasonable (methinks 'luxury' was sarcasm tho??).
    12-14 March suits me too afaik!

Would anybody be interested in doing a Dry Suit Orientation course? Dave G I'm lookin at you :ninja:

And yes, I'm going too :D

• Advertisement

Would anybody be interested in doing a Dry Suit Orientation course? Dave G I'm lookin at you :ninja:

Phil I cannot make this trip as above post I'll be heading off to Florida in April.

BTW LoL at the "luxary accomodation". There is no such thing as luxary when it comes to diving.

S'cool Dave, I'm pm'ed somebody who runs diving in dublin bay *cough*courses to see if I can get it out of the way before I go to Tralee.

S'cool Dave, I'm pm'ed somebody who runs diving in dublin bay *cough*courses to see if I can get it out of the way before I go to Tralee.

PM'd back but got the dreaded "users mailbox is full" AAGGGGHHHHH

I've cleared it down dave, send it again

Cool, so the numbers are looking up for this one.

Myself, Mick, Phil, Dr Pepper, Nordic, Dublinbay??? - i think i'll PM him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭dublinbay

Myself, Mick, Phil, Dr Pepper, Nordic, Dublinbay???
    I ve said no............but how short notice would be ok? It depends on money Situation. Travelling to plymouth on 28 march.

• Advertisement

I have availability for that weekend. Send me the room breakdown and how many divers and I will get your booking underway.
    Best regards
    Ronnie

Got this mail tonight (I asked if they had availability for 6 divers)
    See the attached file for more.
    We should probably book soon.

Jan

Book away for 6 I suppose and we'll see how it goes.. Whadda ya think??

We should be able to find a 6th person if DublinBay doesn't go.. Do you need a deposit/full money now?
    Thanks, btw

Okay, I'm coming down for both Saturday and Sunday. If you get a booking reference can you pm me as I'm probably doing the dry suit course when I'm there. Offroadannie is coming too (that's our 6th diver) but she won't be down until Saturday afternoon (that'll be the second dive). She may be doing the course too.

Ok, am booking for 6 divers then.

Yup i'm in as well as the missus.

Required on my end (assuming i'm not booking it) is:

"Luxury" Double room ensuite.
    One (omnivore) Diver package (€190) and one (vegetarian) non diver package (€110 price is posted on their document).

• Advertisement

Count me in. Down on Friday evening, Saturday and Sunday, 4 boat dives.
    Don't need a luxury suite but if that's all they've got :D

Me too, down Friday evening until Sunday evening. Luxury sweet(!) maybe a double if my girlfriend want's to come along.

Girlfriends :rolleyes: FFS YOUR ALL BANNED.

Girlfriends :rolleyes: FFS YOUR ALL BANNED.

Don't you start Dave....you nearly didn't get a day pass for the last weekend :ninja:

Don't you start Dave....you nearly didn't get a day pass for the last weekend :ninja:

LoL 1 to peace.

Is there a story behind that?.. Share with the class please :dunno:

All the stories should wait until the pub on the weekend in question.

He won't be there to defend himself then.. ;)

He won't be there to defend himself then.. ;)

I like your thinking there mick...

I've been put in charge of the booking so i need it in writing folks...preferably blood ink.
    Heres what i have so far:

Mick/NordicDiver/Dr Pepper have their names down for the bunk house
    Annie is for a single/ladies bunks house
    Peace double room
    Phil -> Waiting to hear from

Single Ladies bunk house please... :D

Or mens one is fine if that's not feasible! Thanks

Put me down for a luxury double room Kev, for the Friday and Saturday nights, offroadannie will take a single room for Saturday night.

As I'm doing the DrySuit Diver course I'll book dives for me and the sister.

• Advertisement
Advertisement