Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can we really beat the swiss??

• 07-10-2003 9:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

i dont know have any of ye noticed, but in recent years the best result ireland has ever come up with in a game as impotant as saturday is a draw..we just cant seem to win, and if by pure chance georgia beat the russian mafia, we have to beat these goat herders..which if i think back, we have failed to do in our own back yard already!!so what chance do we have on saturday, give the ball to duff, hell win it for us??i think the swiss could be wise to that!!

or lets say we do get a result on saturday, what are the chances of the irish citizens being present in the euro2004 across the water in portugal??have we ever won a playoff??irish football is a shambles, from the top, those fools in the fai who every time ireland have a big game at the weekend, go on strike or cause some sort of confussion to try in its bestway possible to put our national team off, achieving its best reult,

:confused::confused:

bring back mick mccarthy!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Yes we can beat them, we're a better side than they are, but will we beat them? Who knows :) I think we will.

Secondly, how is it pure chance that Georgia could win as A) it's the 'local' derby and the Georgians will be well up for it and B) Georgia already beat Russia in their first match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Yes, we can beat the swiss, if we play to our strengths, having keano back is a major boost, ok maybe the 'pass it to Duffer and hope' idea is a little old but in the last few internationals Kilbane and Carr have been pushing up and getting crosses in.

I think we can beat them, I hope we can beat them!

Anyways I am one of the lucky ones who will actually be there in St. Jakobs to see it all happen!

Come on Ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭SCULLY

Originally posted by jimmzy
    have we ever won a playoff?

Playoff for the World Cup last year ring any bells??

In answer to your question, I don't think things will go our way - We have failed to beat our main rivals in the group on 3 occasions and if we play like we played against Russia, I think you can cancel the tickets to Portugal (might save us from the crap 'supporters in training' ads on the tv though - so not all bad news).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jongore

Can we? Yes if we play well and the Swiss have an off day.

Will we? I doubt it, Irelands record in these big games as has been stated before is poor. The Swiss easily beat Ireland in Lansdowne and although Kerr has done well since then to build up morale and get things back on an even keel, he esentily is still picking from the same pool of players.

I'm looking at this from a relaist's point of view and apart from maybe three players out side is very mediocre. My money s going on the draw:(

(BTW I hope to God I'm proven wrong I will happily apologise to one and all if my realism is proven to be pessimism ):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Of course we can...

IMO the key player will be Gary Breen.. if he can hold the defence together...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭IgnatiusJRiley

i dont know have any of ye noticed, but in recent years the best result ireland has ever come up with in a game as impotant as saturday is a draw..
    Ireland 1 - Holland 0!!!!
    and if by pure chance georgia beat the russian mafia, we have to beat these goat herders..
    If Georgia win, we only need to draw with the Swiss to make the playoffs
    have we ever won a playoff??
    Are you English?
    At least you got something right!

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭colster

If we play to our abilities I think we can do it.
    The Swiss are really worried about us.

Look at how their fullbacks played against Russia. They were absolutely shocking. Can you imagine what Duff will do to these guys.

I think Duff should play on the wing for this game with Doherty and Keane up front.
    I know Doherty isn't playing regularly for Spurs but the Swiss defence is vulnerable in the air.

Doherty may not contribute much on the floor but he could just swing the game our way with his ability in the air especially with Duff on the wing.

I'm pretty confident about this game. We can do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭IgnatiusJRiley

Originally posted by colster
    I think Duff should play on the wing for this game with Doherty and Keane up front.
    I know Doherty isn't playing regularly for Spurs but the Swiss defence is vulnerable in the air.

I reckon leave Doherty on the bench and only use him if we need something extra in the last 15/20 minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

the key player will be gary breen?? what about duff or robbie. we should be going there with an all-out attacking formation, pin them into there own half for the 1st 10 mins and see what their made of.

sure we can win, the swiss have big injuries and playing at home isnt necesarliy an advantage. ther'l be alot of pressure on them too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

:mad: :mad:
    you must be joking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

can you beat them = yes everything is a possibility.

will you beat them = i think the swiss will win unfortunately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭ChumpStain

Come on everybody show a bit of faith, we have the players to make it. I think we'll beat them 2-1, Keane and O'Shea with the goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

My, you seem like an educated chap. :rolleyes:
    the best result ireland has ever come up with in a game as impotant as saturday is a draw
    Three games we needed to win for qualification fror something.

Ireland 1 - 0 Holland
    Ireland 2 - 0 Iran
    Ireland 3 - 0 Saudia Arabia
    if by pure chance georgia beat the russian mafia

we have to beat these goat herders
    You must be quite the popular person abroad. And heres me thinking it was the Russian and Swiss International Soccer teams playing.
    have we ever won a playoff??
    Oh come on, you're just trolling now!
    irish football is a shambles, from the top, those fools in the fai who every time ireland have a big game at the weekend, go on strike or cause some sort of confussion to try in its bestway possible to put our national team off,
    No really, you are trolling aren't you?
    Ah finally, you are making some sense.
    You really should have quit while you were making progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Robbie Keane 1-0

I'm sticking €20 on it, but if Harte plays left back that might mess it up. We really have to keep it tight at the back coz I can't see us scoring more than 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 utopio

Of course you will.
    In my opinion ireland is much better than the swiss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

I think the Irish can beat em but i dont think it will happen.
    1-1 perhaps.

Also think the Russians will win but im hoping not :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

whatever happens, it'll be a cracking game!!!

if we don't win it'll be a quiet summer compared to last year, it teams like the irish, scots that make these tournaments so lets hope we make it.

2-1 to the irish, Keane and Breen to score

given might even get one in the last minute. but thats just crazy talk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

my heart says to stick €25 on it...
    but my head says that its too risky :(

nevertheless, Im going to stick the monies on it. I've got an odd feeling in the back of my mind that Kerr is going to stick Keane and Connolly on up front,and have Duff and Harte in midfield.

Which I dont think would be such a bad idea. Connolly is in-form, and Harte hasnt really been tested in the midfield, where he'd have to do less defending, and would be able to pick out Keane or Connolly easier...

My apologies if I make no sense,Its been a long day.

From eleven-a-side.com -
    Swiss lose Magnin for big clash

Switzerland have been dealt a major blow with the news that they will be without the services of key defender Ludovic Magnin for Saturday’s make-or-break Euro 2004 qualifier against Ireland in Basel.

Magnin played when his side caused an upset in Dublin twelve months ago, a game which signalled the end of Mick McCarthy’s reign as Irish manager.

But he will not be able to take part this time around after a spokesperson for the Swiss side confirmed that the defender, who has helped Werder Bremen to top spot in the German Bundesliga so far this season, sustained the injury while training for his club last week.

"Ludovic Magnin will be unavailable for the game against Ireland in Basel after tearing leg muscle fibres in training with Werder Bremen," said the Swiss representative.

Magnin also missed the defeat to Russia last month through injury.

The news will come as a further blow to manager Kobi Kuhn, who is already without suspended midfielder Ricardo Cabanas, who was sent off in Russia, and has an ankle injury doubt over key playmaker Hakan Yakin.

Things are starting to look up...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

some great points about magnin there (too bad i didnt read them)

but more importantly it looks like hakin yakin wil be out he;s there star player (if u have to say they have 1)

ireland 3-1 switzerland. man of the match = kevin kilbane who will score so will keane and also carr. frei will score for the switz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Originally posted by Big Ears
    ireland 3-1 switzerland. man of the match = kevin kilbane who will score so will keane and also carr. frei will score for the switz.

LOL. That's the best prediction I've ever heard hopefully it comes through (sp. should that be true or through??)

If you're that sure you should put a bet on mate, the odds for an accumulator on that would be phenominal, you'd have your holiday to Portugal next year paid for!!

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

this is switzerland we're playing they aint exactly a force in football we are well capable of beating them its just gonna take a good perfomance

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I think the best thing that is on our side at the moment is that we have to win the game. That will give us the hunger to go over there and take the game to the Swiss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

FIFA World Rankings :

(14) Denmark
    (14) Ireland Republic

(44) Switzerland

What have we to fear ? If we go out and play as we can and attempt to beat the sh1te out of them we will beat them .

We need to go out with this attitude from the 1st minute it'll break my heart if I see Ireland realising with 10/15 minutes on the clock that they could win the game and only start to play then.

Roll on Saturday .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Originally posted by sleepwalker
    this is switzerland we're playing they aint exactly a force in football we are well capable of beating them its just gonna take a good perfomance

Never a truer word spoken!!!

Russia 4 - 2 Republic of Ireland
    Switzerland 4 - 1 Georgia
    Albania 1 - 1 Switzerland
    Russia 4 - 1 Albania
    Republic of Ireland 1 - 2 Switzerland
    Albania 3 - 1 Russia
    Georgia 1 - 2 Republic of Ireland
    Albania 0 - 0 Republic of Ireland
    Georgia 0 - 0 Switzerland
    Georgia 1 - 0 Russia
    Republic of Ireland 2 - 1 Albania
    Switzerland 2 - 2 Russia
    Republic of Ireland 2 - 0 Georgia
    Switzerland 3 - 2 Albania
    Republic of Ireland 1 - 1 Russia
    Georgia 3 - 0 Albania
    Russia 4 - 1 Switzerland
    Albania 3 - 1 Georgia
    Switzerland 11/10/03 Republic of Ireland
    Russia 11/10/03 Georgia

You only have to look at the results to see that they're not exactly the greatest team in the world!!

3-2 to Albania at home!! FFS!

To all of you that don't think that we can do it....HAVE A LITTLE FAITH!!!

B.

we only beat albania 2-1 at home irrc...and it was through an own goal too

Advertisement