Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PSX Model

Options
  • 07-10-2003 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭

Article from BBC News
    It looks as if it won't get an EU or US release :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Thats not a new PS2 model ya idiot. It's a new version of the original playstation that sony are bringing out, with a good quality DVD player too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Originally posted by Achilles
    Thats not a new PS2 model ya idiot. It's a new version of the original playstation that sony are bringing out, with a good quality DVD player too.

http://asia.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=technologyNews&storyID=3567066
    Mon October 6, 2003 10:16 PM ET
    TOKYO (Reuters) - Sony Corp said on Tuesday it would begin selling the "PSX," an all-in-one game console and entertainment system, in Japan by the year-end, in a bid to boost its sagging electronics sales. Sony, the world's largest consumer electronics maker, said the PSX would feature a satellite TV tuner, DVD recorder, hard disk drive (HDD) recorder and PlayStation 2 (PS2) game player.

.logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

ahhh, did someone wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. Did you forget to have your cornflakes, is that why you are grumpy ? :rolleyes:

ok, so i made a mistake and gave the thread the wrong title...
    i have edited it now to keep you happy and not to confuse any one else

But it like i said in the first post this prob will not get an EU release. Once again the major companies focus on the Japan for the release of new versions/models of current systems. The Panasonic version of the GameCube is another example.

LOL, i just realised how arrogant my post came across as. Again sorry for that. I just dont like when people get things wrong, i know we all make mistakes, but it still bloody bugs me. I dont even like sony or the PS brand to be honest, i just saw the post and know about the state of consoles and the like...

Again sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I just dont like when people get things wrong

You must be kicking yourself pretty hard over the fact that YOU are the wrong one here, then. PSX is a PlayStation 2 with DVR and DVD-R features bolted onto it, not a new model of the original PlayStation at all.

By the way, it IS scheduled for a European and US release - no firm date or price set as yet, but right back when they announced the device in June they talked about a Q1 2004 release for it outside Japan.

• Advertisement

No actually, what i meant was it's not a new version of the PS2. Yes it can play PS2 and PS1 games, but it can also play dvds, that doesn't make it a new version DVD player now does it? I just meant that it's not under the PS2 brand, and therefore, is not a PS2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

to be honest, its really only a rehash of the Playstation brand anyway, most people these days have DVd players, or even playstations for that matter, i think its like 40 million playstations sold, correct me if im wrong, but thats nearly saturation point for the ps market, though the hard drive is a good idea, i cant see many new people purchasing it, or owners of playstations purchasing that.

I agree totally. I hate the way Sony has saturated the market though. It is because of Sony that we have the likes of Shinji. Arrogant casual gamer who thinks they know alot about gaming, but really only play the latest rehashes of Fifa and Tekken. I long for the days when Sega and Nintendo were the kings and we were enjoying original games like Sonic, Mario, Donky Kong, Toe Jam and Early, etc. I know they've all come out on the new platforms now but, they just dont seem the same, and never will again, thanks to Sony.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Arrogant casual gamer who thinks they know alot about gaming.

I await shinji to lay the smack down please don't disappoint

Achilles correct me if i'm wrong but i think its toe jam and earl :)

LOL, i never even noticed that. Toe Jam And Earl is what i meant, my finger must have just graised the y key. HeHe... ahh Street Fighter 2 Turbo, thems were the days...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Arrogant casual gamer who thinks they know alot about gaming

IMHO, Shinji knows his ****. Alot people on this forum know their ****. But shinji's is rarely wrong.

You seem like your annoyed or something, maybe you should relax and come back later.

It's a new version of the original playstation that sony are bringing out,
    I just meant that it's not under the PS2 brand, and therefore, is not a PS2.

Right. Well then, next time you're going to call someone an idiot, try actually writing your post in comprehensible English rather than just mashing the keys and hoping for the best, eh?

Also, it is technically a PS2, branding or not. The chip which drives the gaming element of the PSX is the integrated PS2 chipset which is also integrated into the SCPH-50000 model PS2 (which rolled out in Europe last week).
    most people these days have DVd players, or even playstations for that matter, i think its like 40 million playstations sold, correct me if im wrong, but thats nearly saturation point for the ps market

The PS2 is at just over 60 million sold worldwide - which is indeed probably near enough to saturation point for the console. I would expect it to top out at around 85 million units over its life cycle, maybe 100 million by the time they cease manufacture.

You seem to be missing the point of the PSX though - it's not just a DVD player, it's a DVD recorder. The whole point of it is that it's a PS2, and it's a TIVO / Sky+ style box (hard drive video recorder, and it's a DVD video recorder. Not many people have that kind of kit, and it's actually a lot cheaper than most DVD recorders are.
    Arrogant casual gamer who thinks they know alot about gaming, but really only play the latest rehashes of Fifa and Tekken.

Is baby upset because he got shown up for being a muppet? Awww, diddums.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

No i just dont like casual gamers, didn't mean to get the wrong impression of ya. I wasn't talking hardware wise i mean think about it, a Geforce 3 Powers the Xbox... so if i have Geforce 3 in my pc, does that technically mean its a souped up Xbox?

No, because it won't play Xbox games.

Would it REALLY hurt you that much to say "oops yeah, sorry for calling that guy an idiot, I was wrong"? It'd save you humiliating yourself by continuing to grasp at straws...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Calling Shinji a casual gamer is like calling Damien Duff an amateur footballer. The man knows his games. I'd back away slowly to the door if I were you Achilles ;)

Me on the other hand. I'm a not a casual gamer, I play them a lot and read about them a lot but when it comes to news and FACTS on games, Shinji has yet, in my experience, been wrong.

Now, let's all be happy bunnies and discuss this new machine :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Haven't heard arrogant casual gamer before. However I've heard arrogant hardcore gamer a lot of times :D

This seems to me that this is another evolution in sony's plans to turn the PS2 in to a full multimedia station. If it is a decent price then it could be a great idea. It could be a new marketing direction for sony seeing how they are making a loss on most of there products except for the PS2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭vac

Stevetrek, rofl.

IRC FOR HARDCORE NERDS.

We'll have nothing said against steve/star trek that is all

• Advertisement

Hey, that's really interesting guys. Fascinating in fact. Any chance you could get back on topic? You mongs.

no bother no bother.

I also like the fact that its a dvd recorder far as i know there still quite expensive so you seem to be getting quite a bang for your buck with this piece of kit 160gb hdd and all i think

on another playstation note has anyone seen those platinium ps2's knocking about or are they old hat?

Yes i am a hardcore nerd... your point is... exactly? By the very definition of the term nerd then you're one too, seeing as you're using one right now to access these forums.

Ok Achilles, last chance seeing as your new to this forum, here's a patronising final warning:

Hi! I'm a moderator! I co-moderate this forum. I've asked twice for people to get back on-topic. This means you as well. "Back on topic" means discussing "New PSX model", not bitching with people.

Now, going off topic again (including replying to this warning) will result in you being banned for a week. You may whinge and moan by pm'ing me, another moderator or posting your complaint to Admin/Support.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Its basically a high-scale PS2, looks nice. Its marketed towards people who want a do-everything box, and who have a lot of money (unfortunate for me).

They call it the PSX though, the old abbriviated form of the original Playstation. Hard to get used to changing times now...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

It is because of Sony that we have the likes of Shinji. Arrogant casual gamer who thinks they know alot about gaming, but really only play the latest rehashes of Fifa and Tekken.

Sorry, I'm still laughing too hard at this to make any sensible contribution...

(MindPhuck, piss off back to the CS forum where you belong...)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

basically it's a PS2 with a 160gig hard drive

Oh man, what would we do without geniuses like you to sum up the situation for us!

(It's also got a TV tuner, and a DVD burner.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Originally posted by Cr3m0
    Originally posted by Shinji
    Oh man, what would we do without geniuses like you to sum up the situation for us!

This thread is turning into a hilarious one. I couldn't stop laughing at that post.

Seriously though, It seems we've reached the end of discussing this new machine. Although €700 approx. (160-gig version) and €900 approx. (250-gig version), thats pretty damn expensive, although you get what you pay for in the long run;

"Just how aggressive is Sony's pricing for the PSX? Well, Toshiba released its RD-XS41, a combined HDD recorder/DVD burner, on October 1 with an expected street price of $1,365 (150,000 yen). Considering that the cheaper version of the PSX is less than half of that, and throws in a PS2 to boot, it's easy to see how Sony could sell a lot of these this holiday season. It's harder to see how they can make money doing it."

Source: gamespot.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭Littletinyman

WTF? SHINJI UR A FAG MASTER

F*CK OFF BACK TO THE 'FREE MASON' AND 'COUNTER - STRIKE' FORUMS RRESPCTFULLY AND SPARE US YOUR JIBBU JABBA

DAMN I HATE THOSE DARN TEKKEN PLAYERS THINK THEY KNOW EVERYTHING HEHEHE

STAR TREK IS COOL

Advertisement