Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In trouble!!

Options
  • 07-10-2003 12:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭

Ok…Picture this scenario……

Sony Viao Laptop…no cd rom, no floppy drive… all you have access to is a PCMCIA network card and a USB port.

Windows 98 will only boot into safe mode and I want to install any OS system....

Now I was thinking, very simple, network install, but you need to use floppies (no drive) Then I was thinking about using an external HHD to copy a Win OS to the HDD an to try and do a local install (anybody know how??), I have also considered using Norton ghost to copy an image to the drive but 98 will only boot to safe mode.

Does any Smart MOFO’s out there have any suggestions or am I basically shagg*d??

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Same sort of thing happened to me a while back, I came to the conclusion that booting off a network is damn near impossible. Surely you can at least get a floppy drive somewhere ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Can you get hold of a PCMCIA floppy drive from someone?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Any usb/firewire connections on the laptop? External CD rom drive on there and boot it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Either that or get one of these, copy the install files (win98 dir on the CE) to it and install.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Make yourself a Ghost book disk. The only thing is, you'll need to get the dos drivers for your NIC, if they're available...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Well, if you know anyone with the same HW spec laptop (you work in an office?) then whip out your HD, shove it into someone elses Viao, install the necessaries, and whip it back into your lappie.. Of course, if you could do this, you could probably just borrow their CDRom drive or Floppy drive...

You probably wont be able to create a network boot disk, given your lack of a floppy drive...

Have you tried booting into 98 safe mode with networking? You shouldn't need floppy disks. What OS are you installing? Is there a switch to do a floppy-less install?

Could you boot into safe mode+Networking, copy over the OS install files, then reboot your laptop into DOS mode?

Post on the 'wanted' board for a loaner CDROM drive?

I'm out of ideas now..

Advertisement