Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DivX, DVD, MP3 on your TV and soundsystem

• 07-10-2003 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if any1 has had or done something similar idea's before.

The idea is to get a 1u server, stick it under the tv with the rest of the boxes there. Connect it somehow to the tv and run an output to the soundsystem.

What it would have on it would be a media collection, from mp3s to divx files.

The server would be based on this Intel chipset;s845wd1.

Ill probably need:

1. Some sort of TV out card
    2. Some sort of sound card
    3. Some way to interact with the unit remotely (IR?)

I cane across IRassistant and sesamtv

Any idea's ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jam

Stan, you don't need a TV-out card specifically, any card with an s-video out like a voodoo3 can be connected to scart or a simpler option might be VGA->coax/s-video convertor box.

For the sound card, the Creative SBLive! supports an IR drive bay yolk, I have one, but I've never really used it, so I'm afraid I can't comment on how good it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I am considering putting a box under the tv, only thing I am worried about is how readable text is on screen. I have a 28 inch Panasonic widescreen tv. Anyone any experience of the quality on screen and so on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

I have my computer connected to the TV using S-video but it's really hard to read text on screen.. however it's PERFECT for watching divx movies, anime in fullscreen etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

I have a shuttle under my tv for that.
    What you should get is Microsoft XP Media Center or MyHTPC if you want a windows solution or Freevo or Freevix for a linux solution.
    I run geexbox. Its a 4Mb distro which lets me play divxs/dvds/vcds and mp3's and doesnt need a hard drive.
    I've tried freevix aswell and its pretty cool.
    My HTPC is nice aswell and with a broadband connection it would rock, pity you need media player 9 for it.
    Now for graphics out i'd recommend an ATi card, i've a radeon 7000 in mine and it rocks, great tv out and its silent.
    For a remote i've the ATi AIW bob and it rocks, radio controlled and best of all it works with geexbox.
    The shuttle i'm using is the nforce2 one so it has the nvidia audio chipset which is the same quailty as the soundblaster audigy 2.

I'd go for a radeon 7000/7500 for about 30 quid
    The Sapphire remote (bottom of the agp page on komplett) for another 30.
    Then just get a Sblive! card and your sorted :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭daveJAM

I generally find that text is perfect when running at 800x600 but nvidia cards can let you down here. There was a hack on the TV Tool website: http://tvtool.info to let you change the resolution to 768x576 to match the tv's native resolution. Cant seem to find it now though. I want to turn my shuttle into a divx box/fileserver but unfortunately nvidia wont release any details of the nv17 chip so I'm stuck with a windows solution unless I get a new graphics card. Might go with the radeon as PPC suggests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

Originally posted by PPC
    I have a shuttle under my tv for that.
    What you should get is Microsoft XP Media Center or MyHTPC if you want a windows solution or Freevo or Freevix for a linux solution.
    I run geexbox. Its a 4Mb distro which lets me play divxs/dvds/vcds and mp3's and doesnt need a hard drive.
    I've tried freevix aswell and its pretty cool.
    My HTPC is nice aswell and with a broadband connection it would rock, pity you need media player 9 for it.
    Now for graphics out i'd recommend an ATi card, i've a radeon 7000 in mine and it rocks, great tv out and its silent.
    For a remote i've the ATi AIW bob and it rocks, radio controlled and best of all it works with geexbox.
    The shuttle i'm using is the nforce2 one so it has the nvidia audio chipset which is the same quailty as the soundblaster audigy 2.

I'd go for a radeon 7000/7500 for about 30 quid
    The Sapphire remote (bottom of the agp page on komplett) for another 30.
    Then just get a Sblive! card and your sorted :)

Is it easy to navigate the mp3's if you ahve allot of them. Say a few thousand?

I'd like to have the box running windows 2000 server and have a ms exchange server in the background. Geebox looks really good - but looks like i cant use it.

I'll get a radeon 7000, a sb live and a ATi AIW (thats an addon for the gfx card right? Does it come with a remote?)

I'll also stick a wireless pci card in it for network access.

So it looks like some windows solution - that MyHTPC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

Get an X-Box. Mod it with a chip and large HDD.

Plays DivX, Plays DVD's. Plays mp3's. Sits on your network and can access your shared folders. All in one convenient small* box, under the TV :)

* Well, small-ish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

doubt you'll have much luck with playing dvd's though (never tried it myself, macrovision + vivo are supposed to be arch enemies afaik)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

Originally posted by tman
    doubt you'll have much luck with playing dvd's though (never tried it myself, macrovision + vivo are supposed to be arch enemies afaik)

on the xbox?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

nope, on the pc...

getting a chipped xbox with a 120gb+ hd fitted is a fine idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Originally posted by STaN
    Is it easy to navigate the mp3's if you ahve allot of them. Say a few thousand?

Well if you lay them out well, i do all mine alphabetically so its pretty easy

I'll get a radeon 7000, a sb live and a ATi AIW (thats an addon for the gfx card right? Does it come with a remote?)

The AIW is a seperate card completly, sometimes it has a remote
    So it looks like some windows solution - that MyHTPC?

Yeah its pretty good. And free too iirc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

Originally posted by PPC
    The AIW is a seperate card completly, sometimes it has a remote

i confused is an AIW a graphics card or a separate card just for the remote, is it pci or agp, and will the remote work with an nvidia card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭joc_06

You should look at a mini itx mobo from via.

They r only 17 cm square and come with via's own embedded processor - fine for dvds etc. but not really a desktop replacement. About 150 on komplett.
    check out mini-box.com for more info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

i use a xbox to play dvds, and mp3s and divx wirelessly from my server. It's cheap, has good sound card and graphics card built in, and xboxmediaplayer (or XBMC) is great, especially if you buy the microsoft remote control.

It doesnt record from the tv, but I'm not really pushed about that.

Greg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭daveJAM

The AIW is a graphics card all on its own so theres no need for an AIW and a Radeon 7000. I think thats what PPC was trying to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

u have me thinking about a similar setup for my living room now. quick question tho. can u just leave the pc hooked up to the tv, ie no monitor at all & if so will it pick up the tv an display on it ok each time it boots?

on a differant note i dunno if ur planning to put a wireless keyboard & mouse in this setup but if u are check out my thread on the bargain board

Advertisement