Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoos and their meanings.

• 07-10-2003 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭

Like a lot of people posting here i have been thinking of getting a tattoo! a celtic symbol but i don't know what the symbol means and if i do get it, and someone asks me what the symbol means i'd like to be able to tell them!!

See the symbol below, if anyone knows what it stands for or any website that explains them, i would be very greatfull.
    i have googled for it aswell but i cant find anything!!

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

it looks to me to be a variation of a trinity knot, which, if googled should yield about a million and one sites, one of which is bound to give you a history and meaning of the symbol.
    hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭xern

Thanks for that beardedchicken. as long as i have a name for it.
    thanks again.
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭dragon_ninja82

It looks like a variation on the 'Tri-Power Knotwork', which was used as a representation of the 3 distinct yet interlocked levels: Physical, Mental, and Spiritual by ancient celtic tribes :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭herbie747

This is the ancient symbol that used to stand for homosexual urges, before it was known what homosexuality actually was - this dates back about 400 years. A man would get this tattoo to let other men know that he was on the prowl.

It symbolises 3 cocks intertwined like an orgy, and pointing in 3 different directions - which meant the man was seeking any hole available - like a radar, because he was promiscuous as hell.

Also, chinese tattoos symbolise that you're a knacker.

And panther tattoos on your arm symbolise that you're a spa who wants to be cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Originally posted by herbie747
    This is the ancient symbol that used to stand for homosexual urges, before it was known what homosexuality actually was - this dates back about 400 years. A man would get this tattoo to let other men know that he was on the prowl.

It symbolises 3 cocks intertwined like an orgy, and pointing in 3 different directions - which meant the man was seeking any hole available - like a radar, because he was promiscuous as hell.

And panther tattoos on your arm symbolise that you're a spa who wants to be cool.

LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

You seen to know alot about homosexual people and things that they get up to.

more of that fantastic knowledge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭herbie747

That's very clever. You're implying I'm gay. Genius!

Man, I walked right into that one.
    Everyone - look out for this guy, he's amazing at catching people out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

That's very clever. You're implying I'm gay. Genius!

Man, I walked right into that one.
    Everyone - look out for this guy, he's amazing at catching people out.

LOL not at all :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Xern did you find a site on this???

I too wouldn't mind a celtic symbol but i'd want to know what it means!

Post a link if you can!
    Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

herbie747 banned for being a bloody muppet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭CrazyTalk

Originally posted by eth0_
    herbie747 banned for being a bloody muppet.

thank god....................
    i was about to slag him anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Originally posted by xern
    if anyone knows what it stands for or any website that explains them, i would be very greatfull.
    So would a lot of historians and Pagans! There is no verified source of the original meaning of the triquetra (or "trinity knot"). dragon_ninja82's explanation has been offered, others are that it relates to the many triple goddess-forms and god-forms that recur in Celtic mythology (e.g. Blodeuwedd, Arianrhod and Cerridwen or Anu, Babh and Macha and so on).
    Of course it could have meant dragon_ninja82's explanation, and refered to a triple goddess, and to any manner of occurance of the number 3 - and held as significant precisely because it has so many meanings.

The Celtic Christian Church took about any trinity symbol they'd inherited from their Pagan ancestors and used them to refer to the Christian trinity, and this symbol may have been used in that way.

However it seems that it has also been used in a purely decorative manner as well (it's good for filling up blank triangular bits in a design). That this was all it ever was invented for can't be disproven.

IMHO it's a relatively "safe" symbol to use for anything where the concepts of 3, 3-in-1 and/or interconnectedness are important to you. The somewhat similar Valknutr on the other hand is not something to use just because you like it, it's strictly for the Odinists.

Advertisement