Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half-Life 2 delayed until April 2004 !!!!!

Options
  • 07-10-2003 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭

OMFG!!

The theft of part of its source code has delayed until April 2004 the launch of Half Life II, the hotly anticipated alien-hunting game of Vivendi Universal Games. "A third of the source code was stolen. It's serious because it forces us to delay the launch of the game by at least four months, that is to April 2004. Just the time to rewrite parts of the game."

http://www.gamershell.com/news_BHalf-Life2Bdelayeduntil.shtml

:eek: MotherFukkers :eek:

CombatCow

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

*sobs*

Why God why?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

<adopts cold stare> They say murder isn't justifiable. I say these are extenuating circumstances. The thieves who stole that code and delayed my game must pay. Pay terminally.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Oh for **** sake, I knew it I just bloody knew it, i spend a fortune on getting my PC up to spec and what ****ing happens

DELAYED UNTIL 200 AND ****ING 4

Im beginning to wonder whether all of this is just a delay tactic to be honest

Well make up a story to say such and such that way we can have more development time cause the games seriously ****ed up.

Im wondering will we ever see it now, come April Valve gone bankrupt due to utter stupidity

Shin

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Oh well we'll play Max Payne 2 and Deus Ex 2 until then... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

That's bollox. Any developer knows to make regular backups and keep them seperate from you main dev machine. I find it very hard to believe that a software house has no source control system running nightly backups My money is on Valve leaking some source, claiming it was HL2 source, and then using it as an excuse to give themselves some breathing time for the games release.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I always thought Sept 30 was too good to be true. I expect to wait a good few years for games I really want. Duke Nukem 4EVAR and Doom3 have beaten this pessimism into me.

But as the man says "All good things come to those who wait".

Be strong comrades.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

<Distant Stare>Why won't they let me play? Why do they keep it from me? They said I could play with it at the end of September. Why?</Distant Stare>

Ah BOLLOX!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

this will be the best game ever and nothing can ever surpass it.

Originally posted by Balfa
    this will be the best game ever and nothing can ever surpass it.

That's what they said about Duke Nukem Forever and Diakatana.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Falgorn

Oohhh consipracy theory's.. I rekon ATI paid Valve to fake an early release date so ppl would go out and buy 9800 & 9600 pro's, and then in April when its actually out there will be a 9900 and 10,000 pro for the same prices... You see Microsoft is starting to rub off on other software manufacturors.

In fairness we can bitch and moan when we here a release date from Vivendi or Valve, any speculation until then is fruitless. All the same, if any of this has been for marketing purposes, I will NOT buy Half life 2 no matter how good it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭Shred

Well that's just f*ckin great news:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭marrakesh

Valve didnt rush the first one there not going to rush the second one..

Remember the slogan "No Pain, No Gain"..

Thank god i didnt upgrade me system... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

DELAYED UNTIL 200 AND ****ING 4

should that not be 2000 and ****ing 4 ??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Very suspicious now.
    Reckon when they saw how far back doom3 is pushed and what a load of ****e Halo pc was so they decided to leak that their code was stolen to justify pushing it back.
    They might as well convert it to 64 bit as well casue by the time it finally comes out in september 2004 (yeah it'll be pushed back again) Athlon64's will also be in good supply.

Feeling a bit like shinzon, but i havent actually upgraded yet...
    Going to go ahead though and buy new parts cause not much will play on my back-up, back-up mobo and cpu that i'm using (celeron 400:rolleyes: ) will soldier on with the geforce4 ti for another few months though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Originally posted by Comic store Guy
    I will NOT buy Half life 2 no matter how good it is.

Agreed!

F*k Valve anyway! This mess is totally their fault. Shoddy security is their responsibility for the (would be) biggest game of 2003. 2004 ..... I can't wait that long! SOB..£"$^"£$!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

hahhaa this is just the sorriest excuse i've ever heard!

delayed because the source code has been stolen?!
    it's not like it's missing, it's not like a car that's been stolen.
    they still have the same source code, it's just that half the internet has it, too.

i'm guessing it's probably full of bugs and half-finished (no pun intended) and now every developer can see that. or they were stealing code from other engines and it's now in the public domain. if they come out with an engine that uses stolen code they'll be up for a nice law suit. so they now have to re-write all that nice stolen code.

in any case, what a lame excuse!

Originally posted by Kaimera
    should that not be 2000 and ****ing 4 ??

Grumbles im so mad i forgot the 0

Shin should be locked up he really should........ Its only a game.........Its only a game......... :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Great, I'll probably have to upgrade the danm pc again. I already spent almost 500 yoyos on it just for this game. I could have gotten a jap saturn and radiant silvergun for that money. It will probably be crap when it comes out (sorry for my pessimism (sp :confused: ) but I'm broke and I've nothing to show for it except a pc that runs smegging unreal 2 and max payne 2 at decent speeds, Grrr)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by Retr0gamer
    Great, I'll probably have to upgrade the danm pc again. I already spent almost 500 yoyos on it just for this game. I could have gotten a jap saturn and radiant silvergun for that money.

Uh... Saturn? I like cool old stuff as much as anyone, but I think that amount of money was much better spent on PC upgrades.

Besides, this is just one game that was sounding less and less enticing the closer it got to release (read the latest Steam Software Licensing agreements?).
    There are many other games, potientially better games, coming out before April 2004.

Matt

• Advertisement

Has anybody wondered if Half-Life2 was delayed so they could make Steam P2P like they have to? Half-Life 2 is going to be the big thing for Steam but at the moment, Steam is having trouble downloading a 6 megs update file to everyone, never mind a 1.2gig game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Matfinn

Reading some of your replies to this news, it is indeed **** for some, but you are overreacting way too much. If you jus spent money upgrading your pc, then it will run half life in 2004 quite well.

Matt

Originally posted by Matfinn
    Reading some of your replies to this news, it is indeed **** for some, but you are overreacting way too much. If you jus spent money upgrading your pc, then it will run half life in 2004 quite well.

Matt

What it seems you fail to realise is that if VALVe ahd said it was coming out in 2004 originally, we would have waited til then to get faster and cheaper hardware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

And there i was, contemplating spending 700euro on komplett.ie to build a new box so i could play the likes of hl2. Oh well, good thing i found this out today and not tommorrow..... Bollox!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by Combatcow
    The theft of part of its source code has delayed until April 2004 the launch of Half Life II, the hotly anticipated alien-hunting game of Vivendi Universal Games.
    alien hunting?
    thought it was supposed to be more of a mad struggle for survival than actual hunting

*clears throat*
    ****bollocksgeebagtesticlescrapsmoo********ramsanusdonkeyflangemonkeyspunk... etc etc

I suppose i can wait a couple more months for this, gives me a chance to upgrade a little bit more 2

ill have half life 2 running smoother than a baboons arse by the time im finished

shin

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i think the hack was valves fault entirely like gabe notice suspicous activity on the 11th of septemeber and the code was copied on the 19th that's a full week to do something about it.

but according to planet-halflife this delay is NOT OFFICAL

http://www.planethalflife.com

also its says they have the name of the hackers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

ah, its all gravy as far as i'm concerned.
    gives me time to build a new pc:)

*chuckles at the stupidity of everyone who upgraded for hl2*

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

If they progress with the game as is the hax out there would make the ones for HL seem like minor console tweaks.

I'm glad Valve are doing this, better to wait a few more months then to rush a game out anyway.
    Pity about the people who have upgraded but 1) you chose to 2) you're ninja machines will still play it just as well... I doubt between here and April they are going to rewrite the rendering engine! You'll get the same fps then as you would have today. And you get to have that hardware for all that extra time to play things like Deus Ex 2 etc.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i agree with dev they ain't going be changing the engine of the game it will still play the way it was meant to.

lucky i didn't upgrade my gfx card with the rest of my pc hehe

i will wait til hl2 is out to buy a new card.

also small bit of other news MAX PAYNE 2 is GONE GOLD Oct. 24th

me can't wait

Advertisement