Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half-Life 2 delayed until April 2004 !!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

i'm not too pushed on max payne for some reason...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I'm glad Valve are doing this

I'm glad they're not releasing an unfinished game. I think it's pretty lame that they're lying about the reasons, though. This delay is nothing to do with the source leak - I have it on pretty good authority that Vivendi were informed that the game wouldn't make 2003 back in August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

What they'll be changing is:

Networking
    Packet Structure
    CD-Key Security

To first two - to stop cheaters. The latter - to stop people cracking the game. If they released the game as-is, every little 12-year old american kid with a whiney voice and an appetite for cheating would be wooping your ass every time you log onto an Internet server.

However, they could have released the single player, and then just patched the game at a later date. I'd say the delay is most likely caused by the security modifications they'll be making, and they just decided to do the rest at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

are u guys forgetting that valve have not confirm this delay you never know if it's true

there's a slight chance that it will not be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

Been confirmed by vivendi here

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3172282.stm

Shin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Originally posted by Cr3m0
    are u guys forgetting that valve have not confirm this delay you never know if it's true

there's a slight chance that it will not be.

So we should pop into Smyths just in case it really was released on 30 September?

remember when valve said at E3 it will be out on 30sept. most of us believe that. a day later VUGames came out and said it will be holidays 2003, valve denied this claim. i think if the hackers didn't hack valve we woulda of been looking at a sept 30th no doubt.

i'll wait for offical word from valve before i believe april2004

but that date would be handy as my birthday is in april :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Wow. I mean, I was pissed when Halo 2 was delayed until April 2004, but this is just an almighty kick in the teeth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I happen to ahve the source sitting in a .rar on a machine.

Must take a look at it.

Extremely small though, packed to 42megs, apparently unpacks to ~170megs.

I reckon it's just a marketing ploy, but like you said Rob I'm a bit miffed over them not just coming out and saying it's not finished.

At least ID are confident enough in themselves to say "It's done when it's done".

This April release fits into my yearly schedule very nicely. My exams are in March and then I'm off on work experience. Will be just the thing to keep me occupied while I label bunches of differnt coloured cable in Qualtech.

The nVidia/ATi scandle is interesting to. history seems to be repeating itself.
    NVidia may be getting lazy and just pumping more muscle and clock-speeds at things (just like 3Dfx in the twilight days) instead of trying to do things better.
    I'm almost swayed to buy a 9800XT......in 4 months

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Originally posted by feylya
    That's what they said about Duke Nukem Forever and Diakatana.
    'they' must have been morons

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

or...or maybe all this is just some big stupid annoying marketing scheme and hl2 will actually be out in like a week!!

yeah don't worry, i'm gone.....stupid lame-ass hackers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

the game plays well as it is, i say release it already :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Originally posted by kaids
    'they' must have been morons

'they' being every games magazine I have ever read about those two games. Yet, you call them morons. Hmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

I wonder if John Romero, if that is in fact his real name, can remember his whereabouts on Sept 11th 2003.
    I bet youll find the source code on his computer under the name "Daikatana 2: i told you it would be f*cking good". Go burn down his house!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭BluE-WinG

Ahh the betas out, that should tide us over til the full game comes around :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,979 ✭✭✭Big Ears

i was going to get it for my brother for christmas :(

Eh, nobodies has actually confirmed the delay at this point. Vivendi only said could delay it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

yeah it has. Its on the bbc site that someone posted up awhile back

From Halfelife2.net,
    One of Germany's biggest PC gaming magazines, Gamestar, are reporting that there is the potential for Half-Life 2 to be pushed back as far as April 2004 according to a statement by the president of VU Games, Christophe Ramboz. An article on CNN has spawned backing up these claims, revealing that Ramboz also stated that only a third of the code was leaked, and it is because of the leak that various aspects of the game need to be re-written, causing the delay.

Potential, not definate delay.

Update:
    Valve Responds to Vivendi Delay

10/7/2003 16:18 PST

HalfLife.org has received a reply from Valve Marketing Director Doug Lombardi regarding the Vivendi HL2 April 2004 delay announcement:

"We are still assessing the effects of the attack. At this time, we have no further details we can share regarding the theft nor it's impact on the release of Half-Life 2."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

Hardly surprising. Wasn't the first one delayed for a year or two aswell? Like other people said get over it and enjoy Deus ex 2 and the likes. Pity cause I might be getting a new computer around xmas :(

• Advertisement

i will never trust VUGames again this is the second time they've had a different story than the developer

Originally posted by Swifty
    Hardly surprising. Wasn't the first one delayed for a year or two aswell?

It was based on a modified (Dx-ified) Quake2 engine...and came out only a few months after that game.
    Considering the difference in the content of the two games it kinda made a show of ID in that respect. But then again, Valve didn't have to actually write the engine.....

The development of HL2 has been rather covert since the beginning, and with (what seem like imho) good reasons.
    Let them release it when the developers are happy that it'll make back enough money so they can go on the beer for a bit and continue the next project.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by Cr3m0
    i will never trust VUGames again this is the second time they've had a different story than the developer
    `

Last time they were right about HL 2 missing the first release date, and I don't think we will see it this side of Christmas, so they could be right again. I don't think VU are the ones not to trust.

It was based on a modified (Dx-ified) Quake2 engine...

If I go around to your house and tattoo the words "No it wasn't, Valve have never had a license to the Quake2 engine, only for Quake1" on your forehead backwards, do you think you'll stop saying that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Falgorn

If I go around to your house and tattoo the words "No it wasn't, Valve have never had a license to the Quake2 engine, only for Quake1" on your forehead backwards, do you think you'll stop saying that?

Ha ha ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Brilliant!
    If that isn't a contender for best post ever i don't know what is

Originally posted by Shinji

I did not know that.
    Excuse my ignorance and belief in that what i read in major magazines at the time and on rather large sites was correct.
    Having googled for a sec I admit I was mislead.
    In my defence, the HL engine looks far similar to that of Quake2 than Q1, but having played FUHQuake, I can see the effects of pushing boundarys.

Nice rebuttle.
    Oh, and that is the first time I've said that in about a year.

I'm sure I've had the same argument with you at least twice. Perhaps not with you, in which case I apologise. However it's a rather persistently raised mis-conception on the board, and there are a few people who insist on saying it even after it's been pointed out that they're wrong...

Not that it actually matters a damn at the end of the day, of course. The engine is so heavily modified that it doesn't really matter what it's based on (for instance, it's an interesting but pointless aside that Half-Life 2 actually continues to be based on the GLQuake framework code...).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

heh, i think this came up on the half-life board about 2/3 years ago now, and it was me rather than shinji doing the tatooing (shinji being a cs n00b at the time ;))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Good lord! It's all completely true! Quelle Surprisé!

Gabe Newells confession and call to arms

And remember kids, don't have nightmares.

Advertisement